Refugium

lightningstrike

ok. taking all ur opinions into consideration.

why not i put it this way. what if i run the cannister and refugium seperately.

this is to say that the cannister juz do its job of filtering the water from the main tank.

and i run the refugium by connecting pipes to the refugium via gravity for the downward flow, buy a pump to pump the water up. drill a hole on the pipe so that in the case the pump fails, there will be air lock in the pipe and thus no downwards or upwards flow.

think this is safest. another question is will this concept be efficient to bring down nitrate and phosphate levels in the main tank?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Hmm..why don't you take away the cannister and use your refugium as a replacement?

You can use cotton wool as mechanical filter while using Live rocks as bio-filter.

I think in the long run, cannister will act as a nitrate factory.

If I were you, I won't run the canister.

You have #0 sand right... how many inches deep is it?

If you have a refugium, its gonna be run off an overflow system... you can use that to replace the canister.... I am sure your refugium sump should house enough aerobic bacteria to replace your canister in a compartment where you can house bioballs for them to colonise.

You can still use the canister to house carbon, polyfilters though... its up to you.

Just think through the process and avoid any flooding possibilities with failsafes.

• SRC Member

i just setup a simple quarentine tank...with internel filter... now still cycling.. once the cycling is over.. i will put my fish over for treatment...

i didnt add in any sand.. just some PVC pipe to provide hiding place for my fish...

:lol:

• SRC Member
i just setup a simple quarentine tank...with internel filter... now still cycling.. once the cycling is over.. i will put my fish over for treatment...

i didnt add in any sand.. just some PVC pipe to provide hiding place for my fish...

:lol:

:blink:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
and i run the refugium by connecting pipes to the refugium via gravity for the downward flow, buy a pump to pump the water up. drill a hole on the pipe so that in the case the pump fails, there will be air lock in the pipe and thus no downwards or upwards flow.

I'm not too worry abt the pump failure, water overflow in your sump.

How abt gravity flow break, sump water goes up and overflow your main tank!

In all case, you should get a Float switch attached to your sump pump to cut off the power when the water level is low in your sump, which is an indication that water is not flowing down.

(or use the tubby as the pump up, which works the same)

Even with I-box or Siphon pipe, the float switch is still a safety measures to prevent failure of the I-box due to accident, like fish or something goes in.... :)

• SRC Member

back to the questions on what is the recommended macroalgae / nutrient exporter to put the in the refugium and which LFS has the most ? :)

steal the thread a bit.. :P

For livestock, can I also put seahorse in the refugium?

If yes, what do I feed them with? will that pollut the water which is suppose to be cleanse? :blink:

:thanks:

hi buddies,

thks for the advice. need some more opinions though.

here is how i've set up my refugium.

refugium: 1ft x 1ft x 1ft.

5" grade 0 sand

11W 6700K light

fine filter wool

gravity siphon for downwards flow from main tank

with check valve intact.

Sicce Idra submersible pump for upwards flow to

main tank.

bioballs, seachem denitrator porous stones

to house aerobic bacteria.

cannister: fine filter wool

coarse filter wool

polyfilter

rowaphos

seachem phosguard

chemi-pure

AT, Tanzy and fellow reefers. what do u think???

main headache is the seachem denitrator. should i still continue using it at all? will it eventually become a nitrate factory?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png