Need advice on dwarf angels

hi all, m currently tinkin of going into dwarf angels...curerntly haf a coral beauty liao...tinking of adding a flame back and a of cos, my fav..flame angel...is it advisable to do so? tank size is 4.5x2.5x2

if yes, what should be the order? flameback 1st or flame?

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

hi all, m currently tinkin of going into dwarf angels...curerntly haf a coral beauty liao...tinking of adding a flame back and a of cos, my fav..flame angel...is it advisable to do so? tank size is 4.5x2.5x2

if yes, what should be the order? flameback 1st or flame?

why u dun try philippines half-moon angel?

l7304smr.jpg

why u dun try philippines half-moon angel?

can get veri big ...tats y lukin at dwarf angels lor...chances of dem 'clearing' all my softies is lower i feel as compared to big angels...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

How long have your coral beauty been in your tank?

My advice, if you want to add more dwarf angels is to catch out your current CB then add in whichever dwarf angels arrive in shipment. Are you looking at caribbean flame back or the African flame back?

OR

From my experience which ever order you place the fishes in, if you have a long resident dwarf angel there is sure to have a territorial fight, so what I normally do is to place new dwarf angels in betta box and train them to eat mysis and pellet. From there the current resident fish will slowly except the new fish and will release at night.

the CB is only 1 wk plus inside my tank...it escaped from my betta box few days ago nia...bt only feeding on flakes n pallets

eh...nt only the new fish has to go tru the acceptance of my CB, haf to go tru my tangs oso...all veri aggressive...sohal, ABT, purple etc

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

Flameback is definitely more aggressive than flame or at least for my case... The flame went in after the flameback... Took some betta box method to lessen the aggression... I am not very concern about the CB as mine was not very aggressive, 2nd day it bo chap liao...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

can get veri big ...tats y lukin at dwarf angels lor...chances of dem 'clearing' all my softies is lower i feel as compared to big angels...

I think he talking about venustus, Very difficult and shy fish if it is not one of the few fishes in...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

I think he talking about venustus, Very difficult and shy fish if it is not one of the few fishes in...

oh...read tat its veri difficult for venustus...though veri swee

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• Senior Reefer

You can mix any kind of dwarf angels you want.

main thing you need is space, territory break up and order of addition.

and also a lot of luck.

a big pile of rocks is not really good for dwarf angels.

making isolated rock formations separated by sand is good as it lets them claim territories.

• SRC Member

Welcome to club Centropyge! if you intend to mix pygmy angels, i would say to avoid the shy species (including golden, venustus) as they will likely be bullied.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

ahsiang,

yours is one of a kind.

this fish is really super difficult. jsut because you succeeded, does not mean others will.

pls don't encourage people to buy it as you've been doing for the past few weeks. it's really a luck thing and many will die.

no offense ya :)

no harm trying...mine is very bold now...

ah siang, i can see it saying "hi" to me eyebrow.gif

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

Welcome to club Centropyge! if you intend to mix pygmy angels, i would say to avoid the shy species (including golden, venustus) as they will likely be bullied.

haha okies bro...i cant put in shy species oso...cos a lot of aggression in my tank liao...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

You can mix any kind of dwarf angels you want.

main thing you need is space, territory break up and order of addition.

and also a lot of luck.

a big pile of rocks is not really good for dwarf angels.

making isolated rock formations separated by sand is good as it lets them claim territories.

hmm i haf 2 isolated rock formations...very tempted...the only ting to hold me back on a large scale is bcos of my lps n softies...bt i guess tis is the risk im willing to take :D

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• Senior Reefer

hmm i haf 2 isolated rock formations...very tempted...the only ting to hold me back on a large scale is bcos of my lps n softies...bt i guess tis is the risk im willing to take :D

oh please.

you'll find that dwarf angels are actually pretty safe.

my tank have

- a pair of spawning flame angel

- a rusty x flame angelfish hybrid

- an eibli x vrolicki angelfish hybrid

- 1 bluestriped butterflyfish

- 1 marginalis butterflyfish

- 1 declivis butterflyfish

- 1 mitratus butterflyfish

so many angels and butterflies but my corals are left untouched. softies and LPS.

in fact in all my experience so far, i've never seen any angel eating my corals before. keep them well fed and you'll be ok.

add in multiple species of dwarf angels to keep them busy and make sure they are well fed. these are the 2 most important things in curbing the pecking.

pecking on corals is due to boredom and hunger. u settle those 2, u settle the habit.

if u want to keep angels with corals, then deal with the risk. if not, don't keep them at all.

that's my very simple policy.

oh please.you'll find that dwarf angels are actually pretty safe.my tank have- a pair of spawning flame angel- a rusty x flame angelfish hybrid- an eibli x vrolicki angelfish hybrid- 1 bluestriped butterflyfish- 1 marginalis butterflyfish- 1 declivis butterflyfish- 1 mitratus butterflyfishso many angels and butterflies but my corals are left untouched. softies and LPS.in fact in all my experience so far, i've never seen any angel eating my corals before. keep them well fed and you'll be ok.add in multiple species of dwarf angels to keep them busy and make sure they are well fed. these are the 2 most important things in curbing the pecking. pecking on corals is due to boredom and hunger. u settle those 2, u settle the habit.if u want to keep angels with corals, then deal with the risk. if not, don't keep them at all.that's my very simple policy.

okies :)so bro, usually how many times do u feed them in a day? usually for me, i flood my tank wif flakes at least once in the evening when im back from work...i haf a feeling tis might nt be sufficient?however for wkends, i usually feed 4-5 times, each time, flooding the whole tank wif flakes, pallets, mysis (at times), frozen cyclopeeze (at times) etc

guess i might be using my auto feeder to ensure tat they r being fed on a more regular basis to prevent pecking ba

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• Senior Reefer

i feed my tank 2 times a day.

once in the day once in the evening.

in the weekends i can go up to 10 feedings a day.

but i do small feedings each time, but many times a day. that is the best kind of feeding you want.

do note that angels are grazers. meaning they nip on algae and food throughout the day. one large feeding or 'flooding' is not as good as multiple small feedings.

by feeding them small times a day, u keep them busy and u ensure they eat the most they can.

your angels will be healthy and happy.

and if possible, do a freshwater dip for 5-8 mins on each newly bought dwarf angel. most of them come with flukes especially flame angels, lemonpeels etc. flukes will drop off and they look like white sesame seeds. keep dipping once everyday until nothing comes off. the survival rate will increase drastically.

i once did a FW dip on my flame angel pair and a collective number of 76 flukes dropped off from both fish.

use RO/DI water if possible to do your FW dip. but i always jsut use tap water. make sure the temp is the same and then just throw in and observe. if they are not swimming, touch them and if they get up and swim, then leave them for 5-8 mins. do not take them out unless they are extremely stressed out. and best to let them rest in a betta box or sump for 1-2 days after purchase before doing the dip. if do immediately from LFS bag, it's too stressful.

• SRC Member

Yea will have to agree with lemon that dwarf angels are generally reef safe :) here my list of angels in my tank

King

Queen

2multicolor

2flame

Flameback

Agri

Regal

However I read that queen and king will not be reef safe once they grow big :(

Yea will have to agree with lemon that dwarf angels are generally reef safe :) here my list of angels in my tank

King

Queen

2multicolor

2flame

Flameback

Agri

Regal

However I read that queen and king will not be reef safe once they grow big :(

Power la so many angel in your tank liao, lol everytime u change plan is fast and furious. :chair:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

ah siang, i can see it saying "hi" to me eyebrow.gif

haha...yeah..."come and get me baby"...

Lemon: actually i know nothing abt this angel...thomas was the culprit who introduced this fish to me and so, i became curious...and i agree that perhaps, i m fortunate or the fish is fortunate...haha...cheers mate.

l7304smr.jpg