Help on Anthias and Threadfin Butterflyfish

• SRC Member

I just bought 2 nice fishes from LOt 35 Pasir Ris Farmway 2 on Sat. Anthias and Threadfin Butterfly fish ( Chaetodon Auriga ).

Ok my threadfin seems to be Ok and pecking on my Xena and LR sometimes..but what makes me worried it is still not feeding on my Cyclopeeze after 3 days.

My Anthias is always missing in action on the sandbed behind my rocks...When I move my rocks..its seems to be healthy..but then again..it does NOT come out to FEEd as well..

Can someone help me?

Btw, I read that POwer Blue Tang, Foxface and Angelfish except for Flame Angels are not REEF Safe . Hoever, I see the Tang , Foxface in AT's TANK ..

Those REEF UNSAFE fishes eat Hard COrals ONLY I heard from a farm owner??

Regards

Joachim

Butterflyfish are known to be hard to sustain in captivity,...because with a few exceptions..most are obligate feeders of coral polyps.

Anthias that hide very often are most likely doomed...healthy specimens will be swimming around actively and not resting at the bottom.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

What Flame Angel not R Safe? I saw them in Henry tank at ML.!

I just check my book they are definitely reef safe.

Ask the other gurus...ALL angelfish are prone to having split personalities. One fine day they will just take a peck at corals or clams and they will get addicted. Something like heroin..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Joaquim,

That book you read the info from... can you tell us what's the title and when was it published?

It may be a very outdated book... does it still have UGF recommended for marine tanks? ;)

Foxfaces and Powder Blue Tangs are definitely reefsafe... they don't eat corals or inverts.

• SRC Member

AT, as in my PM to you, the book's title is The Tropical Marine Fish Survival Manual by Gordon Kay and Nick Dakin -1995 by Barron's Educational Series INc.

It classifies fish into invertebrate safe and those that ar not.

IS There anything wrong with UGFilters? I saw them in a 1978 book I have as well. They were and are still used in some LFS.

I was actually thinking of using this cheapest form of biofiltration in my empty 3FT..

I think it cannot acheive NNR as in DSB can it?

Can't we just clean the top layer with gravel cleaner if it clogs up?

IS DSB considered a thick layer of the finest sand of abt 5 inches min?

Joachim... maybe you should post it in a new thread... because its off topic. Even though its your own thread! ;)

UGFs are a disaster for marine tanks. They work well for freshwater, not saltwater. You have to understand sandbed theory and how nitrates are caused.

IMO, that book's kinda out of date, by a decade! ;)