Which would you recommend to remove parasites on fishes?

spyglass

• SRC Member

Hi everyone, just want to seek your advice on the following.

Which would you recommend to offer cleaning services to fishes ? The fishes i have are humbug damsel, clownfishes and dwarf angel.

i. Cleaner shrimp - Those i had seem to grow fast and large quickly and sometimes dont do the cleaning when the fishes approach them.

ii. Cleaner wrasses - Heard hard to keep alive due to their feeding requirement

iii. Neon goby - Not sure if they do the cleaning. The one i had didnt.

iv. Others that you would recommend ?

Thanks

• Senior Reefer

the scratching on the rocks are due to white spots...

or flukes.

if it's flukes, they may remove but unlikely.

never get cleaners for cleaning. they do a terrible job in the home aquarium.

if u want a disease free tank, then quarantine ur fish.

• SRC Member

Keep your fish in their best health and they will be able to fight off parasites naturally. A small amount of parasite is unavoidable in my opinion. None of the livestock you mentioned will keep your fishes 100% pest free and some (like the wrasse and goby) are also susceptable themselves since they are also fishes.

You can try Microbe-Lift Herbtana or Artemis. I did see improvement when I used Herbtana treatment. But these are only short term fixes to tip the scales in favour of the fish until they can regain full health.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Yes, referring to those little parasites that cause them to occasionally scratch against rocks. Sure no use against white spots.

I vote Neon goby or Fire Shrimp... If you like hv cleaning station for your tank...

or you can try get pair Zanzibar Boxer Shrimp from ML.. Henry bring them occasionally, Zanzibar Boxer Shrimp do help cleaning live stock in tank.. Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

my cleaner wrasse does a good job cleaning all my fish and for some reason almost all the fish I put in my tank end up eating the seaweed, pellets and any darn thing I throw in.. LOL

But of course no way can eradicate white spot.... as long as your fish is healthy, they will be able to fight it off. :P

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Minimum one month quarantine is still the best bet.

During the quarantine, you can observe the new fish and dose medication according to the disease;

Also let the fish get use to eating food you feed to your display tank.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

For cleaner wrasses

I think 2 thing need to take note

1. this fella will become notorious in long term like skunk cleaner shrimp... Like to grab food from corals when feeding..

2.Also cleaner wrasse is a good jumper and not suit for open top tank setup.

Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

I had an ich infestation before. I suffered several fish deaths because of this. I read somewhere that its a matter of fish being immune with these parasites. To do this, the fishes must

overcome the infestation. I fed them with pellets infused with garlic, such as Ocean Nutrition(formula one or two). This worked quite well in my tank. This is one of the Auntie/Uncle talk that we just usually ignore now a days. It's a common remedy even in first aid or jungle survival. Garlic is your friend.

For new stock.. I definitely agree QT is the best approach to avoid ich outbreak to main tank... Really painful experience if seeing all yr lovely collection infected one by one.... and search up and down for remedy.. Prevention better than cure..Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore