POST★☆★ELECTION

kueytoc

• SRC Member

:(GRC System to blame for Yeo’s Decision: Netizens

By ewenboey | SingaporeScene – 42 minutes ago

Netizens are blaming the Group Representation Constituency (GRC) system for Foreign Minister George Yeo's decision to leave politics.

The five-member PAP team led by Yeo was defeated by the Workers' Party in Aljunied GRC by a significant margin of nine percentage points in the recent General Election.

And on Tuesday, Minister Yeo announced his decision to leave politics, saying it was time for "someone younger" to take over.

Popular Singapore blogger, Lee Kin Min, also known as mrbrown, told Yahoo! Singapore that "the GRC system lets the ruling party win big but now we know they can also lose big".

"George Yeo just happened to be in the GRC that fell first. It probably won't be the last GRC to fall this way. I am surprised they didn't send reinforcements after the 2006 results," he said.

Another local blogger, Benjamin Lee, also known as Mr Miyagi, said Minister Yeo was a "casualty of the GRC system."

He said, "He (Minister Yeo) didn't leave politics. I think politics left him. Sadly, he'll be missed by the Foreign Ministry because he's demonstrated himself to be a really good ambassador for Singapore."

Other netizens also said Yeo's decision was a big setback for Singapore.

Alamak Chua wrote on Yahooo Singapore's Facebook page, "What a waste of talent. The GRC system is a great mockery! Tin Pei Lin [sic] is an elected MP but not George Yeo."

Another user, Yan Zhenghao, added, "PAP getting a taste of their own medicine... The usage of the GRC against the opposition has finally backfired."

Joann Lim also wrote, "Thank you for hearing the voice of the people. You are one of the few that really listen. You are a great man and will earn the respect of many".

Comments and well-wishes for the popular Mr Yeo also poured in on micro-blogging site Twitter.

@yeokaiting posted, "Saddened by the news that George Yeo is possibly not going to contest in the next GE. Sigh, a dedicated leader who has contributed so much."

@tammynerd chose to look on the bright side, "I shall remain positive, thinking that @georgeyeo will participate in the next election, just not Aljunied GRC :) Go George Yeo!"

Andrew Loh, chief editor of The Online Citizen, urged the 57-year-old father of four to continue to put his vast experience in serving the nation to good use.

"As the Prime Minister, Senior Minister and various Ministers have said, George Yeo is an invaluable asset not just to the PAP but also to Singapore. I, as do many Singaporeans, hope that whatever his plans are, he will continue to contribute to our nation. His wealth of experience in various ministries throughout the years should not be wasted."

While the Minister said he wants to take a break to spend more time with his family, some netizens have called for the media-savvy politician to run for the presidency later this year.

However, Yeo himself said he will not be running for the presidency and said he is a free spirit and not temperamentally suited for that role.

• SRC Member

:ThanxSmiley:Life and Career of GEORGE YEO

By Ion Danker | SingaporeScene – 1 hour 6 minutes ago

George Yong-Boon Yeo was born in Singapore on 13 September 1954.

After receiving his primary education at St Patrick's School and St Stephen's School, he continued his secondary education at St Patrick's School and St Joseph's Institution. In 1970, he was the top student in the 'O' level examinations and went on to be a President's Scholar and a Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Scholar in 1973.

At Cambridge University, he studied Engineering and as an undergraduate, was elected President of the Cambridge University Malaysia-Singapore Association. He graduated with a Double First in 1976.

Mr Yeo returned to Singapore and served in the SAF as a Signals Officer and in 1979, he attended the Singapore Command and Staff College, graduating top of his class. He was then transferred to the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAP), where he later became Head of the Air Plans Department.

In 1983, he attended Harvard Business School and graduated with an MBA with High Distinction (Baker Scholar).

In June 1984, he married Jennifer Leong Lai Peng, a lawyer. They have a daughter and three sons.

He was appointed Chief- of-Staff of the Air Staff when he returned to Singapore in 1985. In 1986, he became Director of Joint Operations and planning in the Ministry of Defence, and was promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General in 1988. However, in August 1988, he resigned from the SAF to join politics.

Mr Yeo was elected into Parliament as one of three Members of Parliament (MPs) for the Aljunied Group Representation Constituency (GRC) on 3 September 1988. He was returned unopposed as one of four MPs in the same GRC in the 1991 General Election (GE).

Mr Yeo also served in various capacities as a Cabinet Minister.

From 13 September 1988 to 27 November 1990, he was Minister of State for Finance and Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.

On 28 November 1990, he was appointed Acting Minister for Information and the Arts, and Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs in the Government led by Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong.

On 1 July 1991, he was promoted to Minister for Information and the Arts, and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs and was re-appointed to these posts on 7 September 1991.

He relinquished his post as Second Minister for Foreign Affairs and was appointed Minister for Health on 2 January 1994, but retained his portfolio in Information and the Arts.

On 25 January 1997, after the GE, he relinquished his post as Minister for Health and was appointed Second Minister for Trade and Industry. He retained his portfolio in Information and the Arts.

On 3 June 1999, Mr Yeo relinquished his portfolio of Information and the Arts to become Minister for Trade and Industry.

He was also re-elected as one of five MPs for Aljunied GRC in the November 2001 GE and re-appointed Minister for Trade and Industry.

Mr Yeo relinquished his post on 12 August 2004 as Minister for Trade and Industry and was appointed Minister for Foreign Affairs in the Government led by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

In the 2006 GE, he was again re-elected as one of the five MPs for Aljunied GRC and re-appointed Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Mr Yeo was also Young PAP chairman from 1991 to 2000 and since 1992, has represented the Eurasian community in the Cabinet.

post-2609-0-20496900-1305015756_thumb.jp

post-2609-0-83174900-1305015773_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:peace:Polling Day Reflections

By Mr Miyagi | SingaporeScene – Tue, May 10, 2011

THE MR MIYAGI COLUMN

I have never seen the likes of it -- people actually caring enough about Singapore politics to talk about it non-stop. I swear if I took a cab today, the driver might just go, "Ok, sir, do you mind if I just take you to your destination and not talk about politics during your ride?"

Before I cast my vote on Saturday, there were people who hitherto had never bothered with politics and couldn't distinguish the electoral process from a block of flats. But Nomination Day and hustings week appeared to change all that. Acquaintances and friends I met during the fortnight would ask if I was voting, and say things like "I hope you do the right thing", before following up with what has been the de facto rallying cry: "Vote bravely!"

There were also Polling Day Parties complete with home-made Polling Day Cake (yummy but with some bits having a hint of sour grape). The only people who skipped the party were the television channels, who bore the wrath of people who tuned in only to discover that Twitter and Facebook updates were a whole lot more current and exciting. A new media sensation was even born in the hours leading to the final outcome.

A nation took to their national duty with gusto -- myself included, as I drove my mother-in-law to the polling centre near our residence. We lined up outside the community centre, in the heat of the afternoon sun, where it suddenly struck me that this was the first all-Singaporean queue I've been in for as long as I can remember.

What "double-confirmed" it for me was this conversation I overheard:

Father: "How come they can drive inside and we cannot?"

Son: "Dad, they have an elderly family member who needs a wheelchair".

Father: "What? I also can say I need a wheelchair what!"

I was nervous when I marked my ballot paper, and thrilled when I completed the simplest thing I've done with pen and paper and put my vote into the ballot box, thankful that I didn't also drop my IC and money into it (seriously, what would happen then? And has it happened before?)

Then I spared a thought for the thousands living in Tanjong Pagar who didn't get a chance to exercise their democratic right even though they came agonisingly close to doing so, only to be thwarted by late paperwork.

Some of my family members live in Tanjong Pagar. Geographically speaking, they live in that part of Tanjong Pagar that is more accurately known as "Far Far North Upper Tanjong Pagar In The Middle Of The Island So That "Tanjong" Doesn't Really Mean "Headland/Cape" As It Normally Does in Malay", but I guess signboards would be a bitch to erect if they tried to be accurate.

Actually, I was kinda relieved that we didn't have to bring my father to the polling station. He doesn't fare that well out of the house, and the thought of wheeling him and queueing (although we could've parked in the polling centre) up was not very appealing.

My father may have had Parkinson's for longer than we know. There are hidden symptoms, and when he first suffered from tremors, my family wasn't that in-the-know about Parkinson's apart from what we had read about Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali.

Slowly and surely, the disease has taken hold over the last six years, and he's become practically immobile, save for his painfully slow efforts at feeding himself. He still insists on using chopsticks to eat peanuts (those they serve as appetizers at Chinese restaurants) even though the ratio of eaten to dropped is about 1:10.

There's also his voice, which, because of his decreasing ability to control his larynx, has been reduced to a shaky whisper. Only my siblings and I seem to know what he's saying. Or maybe we've figured out more or less what he intends to say.

I spoke to my father several weeks before Polling Day, and I said that I thought Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew was probably going to stand for elections again, and that I thought the right thing for him to do was to retire as an MP and cabinet minister, since his role was more that of a "forecaster" and an ambassador-at-large. I mean, our best international negotiator, Professor Tommy Koh, isn't a minister or even an MP, right?

Pa snorted at my remark. Or at least, I thought he snorted. It's also hard to tell with some Parkinson's sufferers because their breathing can be so audible as the air passes over the muscles in the windpipe that they can't control well enough, even with medication. So he could have been snorting, chuckling, coughing at my remark, I can't say for sure, because he's lost control of many of his ###### muscles as well.

Then he said, "He wants to be in Cabinet until he dies, so he can have a State funeral".

Or maybe he said, "If he wants remain in Cabinet, that's his funeral".

Or maybe just, "Can you please get my Parkinson's tablets for me, they're in the medicine cabinet".

I continued rambling about the elections as I sorted through my father's mail, while he tried to tell me the story of his encounter with Lee Kuan Yew for the hundredth time -- something about him being a clerk at a bus company in the 1950s, and how a young Harry Lee stormed into his office, introduced himself as the lawyer representing the unions, and how the bus company boss had said to my father, "Junior Mr Lee, please assist Senior Mr Lee with the books".

Then as he wheezed and snorted along, possibly ruminating on the conversation of the day, I found a credit card statement of his, showing a zero balance. So I said, "Pa, I'm gonna cancel this credit card account, ok? No point keeping it. We pay for all your things anyway, what for pay annual fee for nothing?"

My father mustered all the strength he could to control his head, his mouth, his voice, and he rebuked me for suggesting that. His wavering voice said, "Don't cancel. That one is the first credit card I ever had, you know?"

I calmed him down by saying we'd keep it. $40 or so a year in card fees isn't too much to keep something for old times' sake anyway. This seemed to cheer him up as he attempted to speak some more. He said something to the effect of not wanting to vote anyway because even putting a mark in a box on a piece of paper isn't that easy for someone with Parkinson's.

Benjamin "Mr Miyagi" Lee writes across all media except where it can be construed as graffiti. More of him on Twitter @miyagi and http://miyagi.sg

• SRC Member

:thumbsup:SPP, WP offered NCMP SEATS :friends:

By Ion Danker | SingaporeScene – 2 hours 34 minutes ago

The Elections Department has announced that the three best losing constituencies at the General Election will be offered the Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seats.

The three seats are offered to - Singapore People's Party Lina Chiam who contested in Potong Pasir Single-Member Constituency (SMC), Workers' Party (WP) Yee Jenn Jong who contested in the Joo Chiat SMC and a member of the WP's East Coast Group Representation Constituency (GRC) team.

Chiam and Yee were the top two with the highest percentage of votes while the WP East Coast GRC team received the third highest percentage of votes amongst the unelected Opposition candidates.

The Returning Officer has sent a letter to the WP East Coast team, asking them to select the member that will receive the seat and they will have to respond by 17 May.

In last Saturday's polls, the WP East Coast team comprising Gerald Giam, Glenda Han, Mohamed Fazli Bin Talip, Eng Png Huat and Eric Tan garnered 45.2 per cent of the votes.

They were up against the People's Action Party team represented by Lee Yi Shyan, Raymond Lim, Lim Swee Say, Mohd Maliki Bin Osman and Jessica Tan.

• SRC Member

:blink:POLICE stops Potong Pasir PETITION

By Ion Danker | SingaporeScene 25 minutes ago

The ongoing petition calling for a by-election in Potong Pasir has been stopped by the police on Tuesday evening.

According to witnesses, plainclothes police officers were seen at the void deck of block 108, Potong Pasir Avenue 1, where Mr Chiam See Tong conducts his Meet-the People Session (MPS).

Singapore People's Party (SPP) member Alex Tan, 23, who was present the scene, told Yahoo! Singapore that after receiving news that people were gathering in the area, he went to the Potong Pasir Town Council at Blk 121 to speak to three plainclothes police officers from the Tanglin Division.

They told him that the petition could not be carried out in public as it is considered illegal, and could only be done indoors or at the Speakers' Corner. :angry2:

Some of the 30 to 40 supporters who were at the scene eventually left while a few others remained behind.

"While some people understood and left, there were others who remained in the area. Some were angry when told that they had to disperse," said Tan.

He added that SPP members are not supposed to be involved in the petition and he was there to try and disperse the crowd after finding out about the gathering.

Yahoo! Singapore understands that members of the party's CEC were unaware of the petition signing and were attending a "GE thank you" dinner for volunteers.

Police confirmed that a resident had called them to report a commotion at the void deck area of block 108 in Potong Pasir.

"It was established that there was a dispute among residents arising from a petition signing earlier. Police then warned the parties concerned that what they are doing may constitute to an illegal public assembly, and advised them to discontinue and disperse immediately. Police are investigating into the incident," said Singapore Police Force spokesperson, Humphrey Sew.

Potong Pasir resident Jed Senthil, 25, a tutor, witnessed the commotion. He said, "The police questioned some people who were there but there was no standoff between the police and residents."

Another witness, who only wanted to be known as Jane, said, "There was no angry mob or whatsoever, just a heated debate between two guys which attracted a large crowd around them."

The petition organisers have since terminated the drive till further notice and have posted a message on its Facebook page, urging residents to remain 'calm and non-confrontational'.

The petition signing was planned from 4 pm to 8.30pm on Monday. It was organised after Saturday's polls saw the People's Action Party Sitoh Yi Pin defeat Singapore People's Party (SPP) candidate Lina Chiam by a mere 114 votes.

A Facebook page was also set up to call for a Potong Pasir by-election and it has garnered over 13,000 'likes' so far.

Additional reporting by Faris Mokhtar

post-2609-0-90012000-1305042747_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Eric Tan QUITS Workers’ Party over ‘BETRAYAL’

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Fri, May 13, 2011

The Workers' Party's treasurer, Eric Tan, has reportedly quit the opposition party after its top leaders passed him over for a Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seat.

"I feel betrayed," Tan was quoted by Today newspaper as saying on Thursday evening in reaction to the decision of WP's central executive committee (CEC).

The CEC decided that night to give the two NCMP seats allotted to the party in this General Election to rookie Gerald Giam, 34, who was part of the East Coast GRC team, and Yee Jenn Jong, who lost by just 388 votes in Joo Chiat single seat ward.

Tan, 55, was a long-time CEC member and had led the East Coast GRC team to garner 45.2 percent of the votes against the People's Action Party team led by labour chief Lim Swee Say.

"I am disappointed that Low (Thia Khiang) and part of the CEC have decided to go against the people's wishes, citing party renewal as their reason. I too also believe in the renewal of the party but in an orderly manner with succession plans," he said.

"Not like this, dropped like a bomb on my lap," he continued. "As a matter of principle, I have no choice but to resign."

Tan pointed out that he helped build the East Coast team since 2005 and was the only remaining one after the 2006 GE.

:friends:"I wanted the NCMP post so that I would be able to be the voice of the people," he told the same paper.

He is also said to have helped convince corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao and Yee to join the party.

In a statement from WP chairman Sylvia Lim on Friday, the party confirmed its nomination of Yee and Giam for the two NCMP seats.

After deliberation, the party's executive council has decided to accept the two NCMP seats available to the WP, said the statement.

Yee told Yahoo! Singapore he is "very honoured" by the party's faith in him. The residents also gave him a strong mandate, he said.

The issues that he would like to champion in Parliament include creating a more enterprising nation, improving education and helping senior citizens.

The third NCMP seat will be taken up by Singapore People's Party's Lina Chiam.

post-2609-0-53281500-1305306870_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:welldone:I AM MY OWN MAN: WPs Yaw Shin Leong

By Faris Mokhtar | SingaporeScene Thu, May 12, 2011

The Workers' Party (WP) new elected MP for Hougang SMC Yaw Shin Leong says that both he and party chief Low Thia Khiang are their "own men" and that he will have a different approach in managing the constituency.

Yaw, 34, was speaking to reporters at the sideline of his first Meet-the-People-Session (MPS) held at Block 310, Hougang Avenue 5 on Wednesday evening.

He took over the reigns of helming the single-member ward from WP's secretary-general Low after defeating People's Action Party (PAP) candidate Desmond Choo in the recent general election by winning a convincing 64.81 percent of the vote share.

The ward has been an opposition stronghold ever since Low secured victory in the 1991 polls.

"Mr Low is his own man, he has very big shoes. But I would like to wear a size that is comfortable to myself," he said.

"But having said that of course, constituents who are familiar with him would also want to expect some form of continuity and to a very large extent, I am for continuity and I will not be changing too much at this juncture."

While Yaw -- who is also the party's organising secretary -- said that he will continue with Low's approach in the first few months, subsequently, he plans to improve on the latter's methods and add his own touch in serving the residents.

"Whatever practices he has in place, I will continue them. I will fine-tune and maybe improve upon some of the mechanism and processes. Maybe later, when I have settled in and get to know more of the grassroots volunteers, helpers and constituents," he said.

In fact, Yaw had already started to implement his own practices by starting the MPS half an hour earlier at 7.30pm as compared to Low whose session usually begins at 8pm.

"Both of us, we are our own men in that sense, so, I will do my best. My own style is that, I know in two hours you can't do much, so, what I've done is that I started half an hour earlier."

He added that being at a younger age, he is more open to technology and will also leverage on social media platforms to engage his constituents of a younger generation. "I blog he (Low) don't, you know," said Yaw laughing.

Still, it seems that he has also followed in Low's footsteps of attending and paying respects at the funerals of his residents saying he had attended one earlier in the day. When asked whether he is continuing the tradition, Yaw dismissed this notion, saying that he was merely carrying on a "duty".

"I don't see it as a tradition, I see it as a duty. I think it's important because during funeral wakes is really the time where you can really understand what are the issues faced by the grieving family. So I think it is a very important duty for the MP to actually go down to the ground to understand the issues," he said.

Yaw also emphasized on the importance of sustainability, which he said was the single most important advice given to him by his mentor, Low. He added that over the course of assisting Low in his MPS for over ten years, it has helped him understand some of the issues and concerns on the ground.

"I understand that it is important not to over-promise, as much as possible I would rather sit down and assess the situation. If I want to launch a progamme, I will ensure that the programme is sustainable," said Yaw.

When asked whether he would be able to deal with residents who might not be satisfied with the assistance that he has provided, Yaw said that this is "part and parcel of the duty".

"There will be different people, different mindsets, so it's important for myself to be able to work with everyone to understand the issues from all angles and to know why certain people feel certain way and try to put myself in their shoes," he said, adding that he has a heavy sense of responsibility to the voters.

Although there are no concrete ideas to improve on the constituency as of yet, Yaw said that he will have to examine issues such as the structural well-being of the estates, including the need for covered walkways and the Lift Upgrading Programme (LUP) before he lays down the action plans required.

"So, I guess I will be looking at all these things, probably we got to sit down, examine all those things and then we will come down to a concrete plan subsequently."

He also said that the handover process of the town council is in its transitional period, adding that there was no need to rush and that it must be done in a systematic way.

Yaw pointed out that the party is also exploring a "cross-type of system" whereby Aljunied residents would be able to seek assistance at his MPS in Hougang and vice versa. But he emphasised that Hougang residents would still be his main priority.

Meanwhile, he also rejected the suggestion that the WP is outshining other opposition parties, saying that it is important to have check and balances regardless which party is in charge.

"I'm of the view that this must be a consistent process whereby you can never say that the Workers' Party is the alternative party.

"Because the whole idea of political competition is that you really need to have elements and mechanisms of competitions to ensure that the incumbent party, be it the ruling party or maybe in terms of the party that is administrating the constituency does his work.

"So I believe in this check and balance mechanism even in the context of the Hougang constituency," he explained.

post-2609-0-84627900-1305307181_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:groupwavereversed:Will there be a TRANSFORMATION ?

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Wed, May 11, 2011

COMMENT

By PN Balji

Those who know Minister for Foreign Affairs George Yeo will tell you that he chooses his words with care, wisdom and precision. So when he called for a "transformed" People's Action Party (PAP) during one of his election rally speeches, you knew that his choice of word was deliberate; he was not calling for a simple change but something much more.

The 2011 General Election showed that the ruling party apparatus had grown such that it was finding it difficult to understand the ground well enough, and failing to push a clear and cohesive message. Even its reputation for picking candidates with unimpeachable track records was thrown open to question.

For those who might argue that this is all conjecture, here is the evidence: The PAP's share of the popular vote was barely a whisker above 60 percent, a group representation constituency (GRC) fell for the first time, some heavy-weight ministers recorded less than impressive margins and the Workers' Party made significant inroads in all the constituencies it had fought.

Will Mr Yeo's call for transformation be heard and acted upon or be lost in the wilderness? Let us look at what happened after the 1984 and 1991 General Elections. After the 1984 poll, when the PAP's share of votes went below 70 percent for the first time, there were calls for the party to listen to Singaporeans and the Feedback Unit was formed. Seven years later, in the election of 1991, the need for change was mentioned again as the PAP lost three more seats. Now we are in 2011 and the party will be engaged in, as the Prime Minister put it, "soul searching".

I can hear voices sympathetic to the PAP saying that a victory is a victory, and that taking 81 out of 87 constituencies is a proud achievement by world standards. So instead of a transformation, let's isolate the problem and remedy it. You don't need a bulldozer to move a pebble, the argument will go.

The PAP is a monolithic organisation with various motivations, interests and ideas. Convincing all the key players why an issue that goes to the heart of how the party functions and performs should be discussed, let alone be dealt with, would be like getting an aircraft carrier to change course when no storm is in sight.

A transformation needs an advocate. And with Mr Yeo not having the cachet after losing Aljunied GRC, who else can articulate and drive that change?

As we ponder the question, we can ask another: Where else can it come from?

There are two other sources, both outside the established order.

One, the people: They have to keep the momentum going by engaging the policymakers and politicians more openly and substantially via the media, meet-the-people sessions and public forums. The think-tanks, which mainly focus on affairs outside Singapore, can get into the act by engaging the community on issues that matter.

Two, the opposition: The time has come for them to make that push into national issues. Mr Low Thia Khiang is transitioning from a municipal politician into a national one. It has taken him a long while, nearly 20 years.

And with all the opposition parties showing how it is possible to adeptly utilise the online world this General Election, the biggest communication barrier — that your message has to go through a middleman — is disappearing.

For the time being, all eyes will be on the Workers' Party. How they will perform in Parliament, what ideas they have to improve the lives of Singaporeans, how they will join debate with politicians on the other side of the divide — will show the kind of First World Chamber they have been talking about during the nine days of campaigning.

Will all these happen? For a change, the optimist in me says: Yes.

P N Balji is the director of the Asia Journalism Fellowship, a joint initiative of Temasek Foundation and NTU. He is also the former CEO and editor-in-chief of the TODAY newspaper.

• SRC Member

:peace:GE 2011 proved me WRONG: Catherine Lim

By Faris Mokhtar | SingaporeScene Thu, May 12, 2011

COMMENTARY

By Catherine Lim

For 17 years, since 1994, I had been writing commentaries on various issues in the Singapore political scene.

Whether these were long-standing problems such as the emotional divide between the PAP leadership and the people, or specific issues such as the controversial increase in ministerial salaries, the articles invariably identified the underlying cause as the unrelenting authoritarianism of the PAP government, with all that this implies of stern, punitive measures used by the leaders, and of timid compliance shown by the led.

Even as I made a plea for a political opening up, I could not shake off the pessimism that the PAP's obsession with control would at best allow only a very limited version or, worse, only a semblance of it. Now GE 2011 has changed all that.

There were four distinct issues that I had brought up in my commentaries, in all of which I had been proved wrong by GE 2011.

1) A climate of fear. I had come to believe that the PAP's systematic use of fear as a strategy to silence critics was so successful that it had become a permanent feature of the Singapore political landscape. During election time, it would spawn all sorts of rumours about how a powerful and vindictive government could find out who you voted for, and punish you accordingly. But the climate of GE 2011 was far from fearful.

I saw to my amazement, in the days leading up to the election, the emergence of a large group of young Singaporeans who were articulate, confident and bold, speaking their minds freely and fearlessly in the mainstream and social media, and showing open, unabashed support for the opposition. Their confidence seemed infectious, spreading quickly among the people.

Never again can I write about a population muted by fear and its contemptible off-shoot, self censorship.

2) A politically naïve electorate. The climate of fear, as I wrote in my articles, had created an unquestioning society that I once rather gloomily described as among the most politically naïve in the world, since they had never been allowed exposure to the normal democratic processes of public debate, open criticism, an independent media, etc. I even compared such an infantilised society to hothoused plants that could not survive in the jungle of the real world outside.

Apathetic, ignorant, namby-pamby Singaporeans? No more, as shown by their surprising display of knowledge, interest and concern about social issues that had come up for debate during the GE 2011 campaigns. They had clearly thought hard about the issues, examined the impact on their lives and understood the power of their vote to bring about change.

3) The underdog status of the opposition. I had shared the view long held by the Singapore electorate that the opposition would never pose a challenge to the PAP because of their chronic lack of quality candidates, resources and proper organisational structure, resulting in their utter helplessness against the formidable PAP juggernaut. It was my belief that GE 2011 would be the opposition's last chance to cast off the ignominious label of the underdog; otherwise they would risk being written off permanently by an exasperated, weary and resigned electorate.

But in the space of just a few years, the various opposition groups had clearly undergone a remarkable transformation, producing candidates to match any PAP team in academic and professional credentials. In the short nine-day campaigning period, they had vastly improved their public image and standing. Indeed, so serious a threat was the star among them, the Workers' Party, that the PAP had to do some last-minute scrambling to come up with new campaig strategies.

It was a startling case of underdog-to-top dog transformation.

4) The inflexible mindset and style of the PAP. Clearly the chief reason that had resulted in the realities listed above the fear, the apathy, the continuing weakness of the opposition was the outright resistance of the PAP leadership to a political opening up. In my articles, I had invariably concluded that this resistance was in turn due to the PAP's almost pathological dislike of the messiness of political dissent on the one hand, and their unshakeable confidence in their own superiority, on the other. In the four and a half decades of their rule, they had given the appearance not only of a one-party government in total control but of a government with rightful claims to perpetuity as well.

And then midway through the GE 2011 campaigning, I saw something never before seen in the PAP strongmen: a wavering of confidence, signs of real fear. What had happened was that, while campaigning, they had received a rude shock. Accepting the reality that for this election the ground was not really sweet, they had no idea of its sheer toxicity, and were not prepared for the extent and depth of the people's frustration and anger on a whole range of issues. Shocked, the Prime Minister resorted to effusive apologies for past mistakes and humble promises to do better in the future. The all-out strategy of placation was quickly taken up by other PAP campaigners who too promised to work harder, listen more, show more caring, etc. One minister even spoke of the need for no less than a 'transformation' of the PAP style.

For me, this was the most unexpectedand gratifyingproof of how wrong I had been to suppose that the famous PAP knuckleduster approach, so beloved of the party's founder, Lee Kuan Yew, would be used forever on Singaporeans. GE 2011 killed it. The rather dramatic public display of contrition, humility and goodwill, so at odds with the PAP's usual implacability, might have been initially used as an election ruse, but through its instant spread among the PAP campaigners, its urgency of tone and consequent high public visibility, it quickly took on the character of a serious compact with the people, from which there could be no turning back. Indeed, it had a momentum all its own, for in his speech after the election results, the Prime Minister saw fit to reiterate the humble promise to serve the people better. It is expected that in the coming days, his PAP colleagues would echo the same placatory message.

Only a temporary aberration of the PAP style that would assert itself once again after GE 2011 fever has died down? Not likely. Neither the people nor the opposition would allow that. For by now, this promise must have sunk enough in the minds of a newly defiant electorate for them to protest as soon as they see it is not being kept.

Again, a newly emboldened opposition will want to use it opportunistically in parliamentary debates on PAP policies which they sense to be unpopular with the people. In this connection, it would no longer be easy for the PAP to push through contentious decisions such as the hiking of ministerial and presidential salaries, or to make conciliatory and compromise offers that are merely concessionary, such as the Nominated Member of Parliament scheme, or insultingly tokenistic, such as The Speakers' Corner. Prediction: the most feared, most infamous instrument of PAP controlthe defamation suit against political opponentswill be a thing of the past, fading away with its regular exponent, Lee Kuan Yew.

In short, a newly energised opposition and a newly empowered electorate, two little Davids, have brought Goliath to his knees. It is an amazing psychological victory, quite independent of the actual polling numbers of GE 2011. This election will indeed be remembered by each of these three groups, as the crossing of some defining line in their political calculations, when each will do some fine recalibrations to their strategies of dealing with each other, in order to improve on their gains or cut down on their losses, as the case may be. GE 2011 may well be the historic reference point against which all will measure their past performance and chart their future course of action.

One very positive outcome may be that, past the rhetoric and the acrimony, the triumphs and the bitterness of GE 2011, all three groups, whatever their individual stance, will be ultimately committed to the overriding goal of the society's good as a whole. This will have the happy result of a convergence of interests and a unity of purpose, something of a rarity, but still achievable, in Singapore politics.

This, for me, will be the most significant outcome of GE 2011. Beside it, the actual votes-count and the official taking up of positions to form a new Parliament are only the mechanics of a transformation process that has already begun in the expectations of the people. Along its way, it will see many missteps and misunderstandings, and probably even a return of the rancour of the GE 2011 campaigning. No matter. For the process can only move forward, since the high-sounding public commitment made by the PAP to change itself from within, for the sake of the people, has a sacrosanct quality all its own, making a breach politically costly, morally unacceptable and emotionally unsustainable.

Hence, I believe that something once thought unthinkable is happening in our midst right nowa made-in-Singapore political renaissance or revolution of sorts, that will eventually lead to a maturing of our society and enable it to take its rightful place among the practising democracies in the world.

For me, GE 2011 will always be special. For never have I been so glad that I had been proved so wrong on so many counts.

Catherine Lim is a political commentator and famed novelist, having written books touching on social and cultural issues concerning Singaporeans.

• SRC Member

<_<SPP’s Pwee named 2nd Assistant SEC-GENERAL

By Jeanette Tan | SingaporeScene – Fri, May 13, 2011

The Singapore People's Party (SPP) has appointed ex-government scholar Benjamin Pwee as its second assistant secretary-general with immediate effect.

Pwee, who has been with the party for a little over two months, has been seen in recent weeks as the party's main spokesman and media manager.

The 43-year-old, who currently runs his own business consulting firm, was an ex-civil service high-flier with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Home Affairs.

Pwee will now assist party boss Chiam See Tong and first assistant secretary-general WIlfred Leung, in a move that's seen as a key step in the party's succession planning.

Besides Pwee, the Central Executive Committee also beefed up its leadership team by adding co-opting youth wing head Jimmy Lee and SME affairs head David Tan to the committee.

Incumbent CEC members Mohamad Hamin bin Aliyas and Juliana Juwahir saw their roles changed to head of Malay/Muslim affairs and head of the women's wing, respectively.

During a thank-you meet and greet with residents at Bishan MRT on Friday morning, Pwee said the party is grooming four new candidates who may be fielded in the next election.

He declined to say who they were, but said that they are mostly former government scholars and civil servants, some of whom are from the private banking sector, and that they were all between the ages of 35 and 45.

Pwee also officially launched the SPP's "Comeback GE 2016" five-year masterplan, which outlines measures aimed at growing, developing and promoting the party in the run-up to the next General Election in 2016.

The plan will be led and driven by Pwee, together with a specially-assembled task force of former senior civil servants, ex-government scholars, senior corporate sector executives, party veterans and CEC members, SPP said in the statement.

One of the key highlights of the plan is to hold online Meet-the-People Sessions, for the public, regardless of constituencies.

The party also plans to rent commercial space as party headquarters in Potong Pasir as well as branch offices in Bishan and Toa Payoh.

Other highlights include quarterly- to bi-annual party publications and having quarterly membership and volunteer drives.

Mr Pwee added that if the electoral boundaries are not re-drawn for the next election, the party plans to contest Potong Pasir and Hong Kah North SMCs, as well as Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

post-2609-0-02728800-1305308100_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

MM Lee, SM Goh to QUIT Cabinet

By Jeanette Tan | Yahoo! Newsroom – Sat, May 14, 2011

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong announced on Saturday that they will leave the Cabinet.

In a joint-email statement to the media, the two leaders and former Prime Minister said they have considered the "new political situation" and it's time for a new generation to take the country forward.

Here is their statement in full:

We have studied the new political situation and thought how it can affect the future. We have made our contributions to the development of Singapore. The time has come for a younger generation to carry Singapore forward in a more difficult and complex situation. The Prime Minister and his team of younger leaders should have a fresh clean slate. A younger generation, besides having a non-corrupt and meritocratic government and a high standard of living, wants to be more engaged in the decisions which affect them. After a watershed general election, we have decided to leave the cabinet and have a completely younger team of ministers to connect to and engage with this young generation in shaping the future of our Singapore.

But the younger team must always have in mind the interests of the older generation. This generation who has contributed to Singapore must be well-looked after.

However, SM Goh, said that as Marine Parade MP, he will now have more time to focus on his GRC.

The 69-year-old wrote on the MParader Facebook page in the wake of his statement and said, "I will now have more time to devote to our GRC. Team Marine Parade will build a consensus on creating our 4G Home."

The announcement caught many by surprise.

Political commentator Cherian George was surprised by the timing and the reasons behind the two ministers' announcement.

"The signal from the election was addressed to the whole government, not to any particular generation of ministers," said the 46-year-old associate professor in journalism from National Technological University.

"But it's a momentous move, and shows Mr Lee acting in what he thinks is in Singapore's interests," he added.

The National Solidarity Party (NSP) also issued a public statement in response, lauding MM Lee as "the architect of modern Singapore", and credited SM Goh's leadership for Singapore's successful navigation through crises such as the Asian financial crisis and the SARS outbreak.

"We welcome their decision to encourage new, younger voices in their leadership structure," the party said in their statement issued to the media and released to the public through their Facebook page.

"But this renewal must not be limited to the People's Action Party; it must extend to our political culture with an inclusion of perspectives from outside the Party."

Student Lim Yan Liang, 24, told Yahoo! Singapore he felt that the decision made by the two outgoing ministers seemed quite a populist one.

"They're trying to contain the damage from the results of the election as much as possible by stepping down," he said, referring to the increased vote share that went to the opposition from the 7th May polls.

"This is a step in the right direction," said retiree Steven Lye, 72. "It shows the government is willing to back up its talk with concrete action.

"Singapore will miss them, and I am sure they appreciate their past services," he added.

The surprise statement also sparked a flurry of reaction within the online community, with Facebook users posting a range of comments.

A comment by Eugene Yuhin Wong on Yahoo Singapore's Facebook page said, "Our election was a total sham. If they announced it before elections, a certain GRC will be opposition area. Those two just put in eight MPs at one shot."

Another user, Alamak Chua, wrote, "Their retirements are long overdue. Nowhere else in the world has such cabinet posts. They should have done that long ago to save our taxpayers' money on their (million-dollar) salaries and their overseas trips."

However, Freddy How Yong Song wished the two outgoing Ministers well, saying, "It's good news the Cabinet needs new faces and the old should go away gracefully. I respect their decision and hope for the best in their near and far future."

Others reacted with sadness.

Gina Sg wrote, "I'm sad. Thank you MM Lee and SM Goh for their contribution to Singapore. Without their guidance , Singapore would not be what it is today. From an insignificant dot country to a country well known for it's stable financial infrastructure!"

• SRC Member

:pinch:MM Lee's Remarks hurt Malays: Zainul Abidin Rasheed

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Thu, May 12, 2011

Did the remarks of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew on the integration of Malays and Muslims adversely affect the ruling People's Action Party's (PAP's) performance in the recent General Election (GE)?

MM Lee, who later said he stood corrected, felt they hadn't, but Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed said on Thursday that many Malays and Muslims in Singapore "were hurt by those remarks and remain so".

Speaking at a media conference, Mr Zainul pointed out that the timing of the release earlier this year of MM Lee's book containing the comments "was bad for the GE".

Regarding his plans, the 63-year-old minister, who was part of the PAP Aljunied GRC team that was defeated by the Workers' Party, said that he has left it to the PAP to decide if he will contest in the next GE, but it will be unlikely given his age,

He said he will do what he can for as long as he is able, and he will continue as Advisor to the Aljunied Grassroots Organisations for now.

The GE result does not change his resolve in serving the nation, he was quoted by Channel NewsAsia as saying.

Not the next Speaker?

However, he revealed that he would not accept the post of Speaker of Parliament even if the Prime Minister offered it to him.

Earlier, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that Mr Zainul would be the next Speaker of Parliament if the latter were re-elected.

While sad that the PAP team lost Aljunied GRC, Mr Zainul said he is energised by the love and concern shown by his family, friends and Aljunied residents who did not vote for the PAP team.

He observed that many residents voted based on issues beyond those concerning Aljunied GRC.

"The national mood, the national issues just swept us from under out feet," he was quoted by Today newspaper as saying.

"When we realised that, in fact, it wasn't just local issues, but national issue that had taken a different priority, I thought it was rather too late," he said.

Earlier this week, Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo and Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua, both part of the losing Aljunied GRC team, announced that they were leaving politics.

• SRC Member

:welldone:WP’s Sylvia Lim resigns from Teaching Position

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – 2 hours 30 minutes ago

To prepare for her responsibilities as a Member of Parliament, Workers' Party chairman Sylvia Lim has resigned from her position at Temasek Polytechnic.

She was a law lecturer at the polytechnic. Her responsibilities included teaching full-time and part-time students, as well as co-ordinating continuing education initiatives for adult learners undertaken by the polytechnic's School of Business.

In a media statement, Lim confirmed that she tendered her resignation on 13 May, after more than 12 years of service. She will explore other career options.

"This move is prompted by what I anticipate to be an increased workload after being elected as part of the Workers' Party team for Aljunied GRC in General Elections 2011," she said.

The WP managed to win over Aljunied GRC in this year's General Election with 54 per cent of the votes.

As a Non-Constituency MP over the last five years, Lim said she spent working hours on Parliamentary activities, such as Parliament sittings and the occasional overseas trip.

"After due consideration, I have concluded that it would not be fair to the polytechnic management, colleagues and students for me to continue in my post at Temasek Polytechnic as an elected MP," she said.

Pointing to the polytechnic management's support all these years, she said, she arrived at her decision with "decidedly mixed feelings".

"I have enjoyed my work and colleagues there tremendously," said Lim, thanking the polytechnic's management and colleagues for their kind understanding and friendship.

Some netizens have praised Lim's move on Yahoo! Singapore's Facebook page, saying it is a show of commitment to her duties as an MP.

HuiChuan Zhang wrote, "That shows the commitment of what an MP should do! Good job Sylvia!"

Tan Elice also wrote, "Oh, your passion and commitment as an elected MP make me wanna cry."

Added Mindy Tan, "A very responsible act. Wise move."

• SRC Member

:angry:DPM Teo dispels ‘SEVEN-DIGIT’ Pension rumours

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Sat, May 14, 2011

The Prime Minister's Office has dispelled rumours of seven-figured pension payouts paid to retired ministers annually.

In a letter to the mainstream media on Friday, the PMO said that retired ministers who serve 18 years or more receive a maximum annual pension payout of about one-tenth of their annual salary.

According to the Public Service Division figures for 2009, an entry-grade minister received an annual salary of $1.57 million while a Prime Minister's salary was $3.04 million.

On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean told The Straits Times the PMO saw the need to clarify the situation because of "misinformation" that has been circulating on the Internet after the General Election.

Rumours being spread online said Foreign Minister George Yeo would continue to receive a seven-digit pension sum every year, even after stepping down as a Minister.

DPM Teo said, "I'm not surprised that it (the misinformation) causes some consternation. So it's best to just state what the actual position is and the actual position is quite different from the misinformation that has been going around."

To qualify for a pension, ministers have to serve at least eight years as a political office-holder and be at least 50 when they step down.

Their pension is determined based on the pensionable component of the monthly salary, which has been frozen since 1994, the PMO said in the letter signed by Tan Kee Yong, secretary to the Prime Minister.

A minister qualifies for the maximum pension of two-thirds of this pensionable component of his monthly salary after having served as an office-holder for 18 years. The pension is less if he has served for a shorter period.

The letter said Members of Parliament elected after January 1995 are not eligible for MP pensions, but ministers appointed after 1995 are eligible for ministerial pensions.

Civil servants from the elite Administrative Service and intelligence service officers also receive pensions after a certain number of years in service.

Explained DPM Teo, "There's a very specific reason for a small group of officers to still be on pensions because there is a premium in this case for long-term service in order to provide consistency of policy and implementation.

"But in any case, the value of the pension is fully taken into account as part of a minister's total pay package when we make comparisons with the private sector benchmarks."

The PMO also revealed that the Parliamentary Pensions Act, amended in 1982, for an eligible office-holder to receive a pension at 55 while he holds office is being reviewed.

DPM Teo said, "We are looking at that again because employment and re-employment terms have been changing over the years."

"The retirement and re-employment situation has been under review for quite some time and there have been some changes in the practice, so we want to make sure that this is appropriate still."

• SRC Member

<_<PM Lee: MM Lee, SM Goh decision a ‘MAJOR EVENT’

By Jeffrey Oon | SingaporeScene – 1 hour 1 minute ago

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong says the decision by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong to step down from the Cabinet is a "major event" for Singapore.

Speaking on the sidelines of a post-election victory parade on Saturday, Mr Lee said he has yet to accept their decision, although he is set to give his answer by Monday.

Although PM Lee said the move was initiated by the two senior leaders themselves, he said he had already known about their intention.

He added that his decision will also affect his new Cabinet line-up.

"It is a major event for Singapore for two major figures like MM and SM to leave the government," he was reported as saying on Channel NewsAsia.

"It shows that they are thinking of Singapore and for the future of Singapore. The basic consideration is what is the best approach for forming a team which would be most effective in solving problems and establishing rapport and trust with the people going forward for the next five years," he added.

The term Minister Mentor was a term coined specially for the senior Lee in 2004 , as a reflection of his role in office, as well as his wealth of experience.

It will be the first time the 87-year-old founding father of Singapore will have no part to play in the Cabinet.

PAP MP-elect for Ang Mo Kio GRC Inderjit Singh called his decision to step down a major turning point for Singapore.

"Politics, or a Cabinet without MM, is something that we all never thought of. With MM stepping down and SM, this actually gives PM a clean slate to redraw his new Cabinet," he said.

"And I think this must have also been because of the messages that we got during this GE, of people wanting to see a different approach."

Another MP-elect for Ang Mo Kio GRC, Dr Intan Azura, said: "MM and SM have done a lot for Singapore. I think we have to really appreciate what they have done for the country, what they have done for the government; they have set a really strong foundation.

"But I guess they decided that it is time for us to move ahead with the times, with the new generation of leaders."

:thumbsup: About time !!!

MM Lee, SM Goh to QUIT Cabinet

By Jeanette Tan | Yahoo! Newsroom – Sat, May 14, 2011

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong announced on Saturday that they will leave the Cabinet.

In a joint-email statement to the media, the two leaders and former Prime Minister said they have considered the "new political situation" and it's time for a new generation to take the country forward.

Here is their statement in full:

We have studied the new political situation and thought how it can affect the future. We have made our contributions to the development of Singapore. The time has come for a younger generation to carry Singapore forward in a more difficult and complex situation. The Prime Minister and his team of younger leaders should have a fresh clean slate. A younger generation, besides having a non-corrupt and meritocratic government and a high standard of living, wants to be more engaged in the decisions which affect them. After a watershed general election, we have decided to leave the cabinet and have a completely younger team of ministers to connect to and engage with this young generation in shaping the future of our Singapore.

But the younger team must always have in mind the interests of the older generation. This generation who has contributed to Singapore must be well-looked after.

However, SM Goh, said that as Marine Parade MP, he will now have more time to focus on his GRC.

The 69-year-old wrote on the MParader Facebook page in the wake of his statement and said, "I will now have more time to devote to our GRC. Team Marine Parade will build a consensus on creating our 4G Home."

The announcement caught many by surprise.

Political commentator Cherian George was surprised by the timing and the reasons behind the two ministers' announcement.

"The signal from the election was addressed to the whole government, not to any particular generation of ministers," said the 46-year-old associate professor in journalism from National Technological University.

"But it's a momentous move, and shows Mr Lee acting in what he thinks is in Singapore's interests," he added.

The National Solidarity Party (NSP) also issued a public statement in response, lauding MM Lee as "the architect of modern Singapore", and credited SM Goh's leadership for Singapore's successful navigation through crises such as the Asian financial crisis and the SARS outbreak.

"We welcome their decision to encourage new, younger voices in their leadership structure," the party said in their statement issued to the media and released to the public through their Facebook page.

"But this renewal must not be limited to the People's Action Party; it must extend to our political culture with an inclusion of perspectives from outside the Party."

Student Lim Yan Liang, 24, told Yahoo! Singapore he felt that the decision made by the two outgoing ministers seemed quite a populist one.

"They're trying to contain the damage from the results of the election as much as possible by stepping down," he said, referring to the increased vote share that went to the opposition from the 7th May polls.

"This is a step in the right direction," said retiree Steven Lye, 72. "It shows the government is willing to back up its talk with concrete action.

"Singapore will miss them, and I am sure they appreciate their past services," he added.

The surprise statement also sparked a flurry of reaction within the online community, with Facebook users posting a range of comments.

A comment by Eugene Yuhin Wong on Yahoo Singapore's Facebook page said, "Our election was a total sham. If they announced it before elections, a certain GRC will be opposition area. Those two just put in eight MPs at one shot."

Another user, Alamak Chua, wrote, "Their retirements are long overdue. Nowhere else in the world has such cabinet posts. They should have done that long ago to save our taxpayers' money on their (million-dollar) salaries and their overseas trips."

However, Freddy How Yong Song wished the two outgoing Ministers well, saying, "It's good news the Cabinet needs new faces and the old should go away gracefully. I respect their decision and hope for the best in their near and far future."

Others reacted with sadness.

Gina Sg wrote, "I'm sad. Thank you MM Lee and SM Goh for their contribution to Singapore. Without their guidance , Singapore would not be what it is today. From an insignificant dot country to a country well known for it's stable financial infrastructure!"

post-2609-0-09307000-1305392301_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:friends:About Time !!!

:pirate:Trimmer, Slimmer, Leaner Cabinet: Analyst

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Sun, May 15, 2011

A veteran journalist and political analyst believes Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's decision to step down from Cabinet is just the beginning.

PN Balji, who is the director of the Asia Journalism Fellowship and former editor-in-chief of Today newspaper, told Yahoo! Singapore that he expects other older ministers to follow in MM Lee's and SM Goh's footsteps.

"We are going to see a trimmer, slimmer and leaner Cabinet," predicted the 62-year-old former deputy editor of The Straits Times.

Compared to the US which has 17 full ministers, Singapore is "over-sized" with 21 full ministers, he noted.

Besides MM Lee and SM Goh, Deputy Prime Minister S. Jayakumar, Foreign Minister George Yeo and Ministers in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Boon Heng and Lim Hwee Hua will also be exiting politics and will not be part of the new Cabinet, expected to announced in the coming week.

Of the current batch, Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, 65, and National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan, 62, are the oldest Cabinet Ministers left.

Balji said the decision to give PM Lee and his team a fresh slate to connect with younger Singaporeans is an "indirect admission that MM and SM have not helped PM's drive to engage the younger voters."

"Their statements during the campaign showed that they have lost touch with the ground and had actually contributed to the worse electoral performance of the PAP," he said.

The People's Action Party saw their share of valid vote drop by 6.5 percentage points to 60.1 per cent this General Election.

However, Balji still expects MM Lee and SM Goh will be "given some kind of role", with one possibility being in the area of foreign affairs where both politicians can fill part of the vacuum left by the impending departure of Foreign Minister George Yeo.

"Both are well known to world leaders and have been useful to open doors for businesses. Also, they can be used to feel the pulse of the important players in the world," he said.

Other political analysts Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said MM Lee and SM Goh's announcement marks a "new dawn" for Singapore.

Political commentator and law lecturer at the Singapore Management University Eugene Tan said, "The news suggests that a new dawn in our political landscape awaits us."

Reacting to MM Lee and SM Goh's decision to step down, he said that this will now give Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong a free hand in deciding on the new Cabinet line-up.

"There will be a period of adjustment as we transition to a new reality," said Tan. "One can say that PM Lee is now fully in charge and fully accountable."

He said this move is a recognition of the "resentment and unhappiness across broad swathes of Singapore society to the PAP government".

The presence of the two senior leaders could "image-wise, invariably reinforce the view that the party and government may be out of touch", said Tan. By stepping aside, they allow for a new Cabinet "not cramped by (their) political style".

"The systems, processes and policies of government are robustly in place and well-established. Their departure will reinforce the belief that the system in Singapore is institution-based rather than personality-based," he said.

"It also demonstrates that Singapore is confident enough to proceed forth without hanging on to the past," he added.

Independent scholar Derek da Cunha added, "Like many others, I had thought, given his age, there was a good possibility Mr Lee would not run in this last election. His decision to run therefore came as a surprise."

"Now a week after the election, that both Mr Lee and Mr Goh have indicated they no longer want to serve in Cabinet is an even bigger surprise," he said.

Dr da Cunha noted, "one of the main roles of ministers is to anchor home a GRC to victory". After they have done so, the decision to remain in Cabinet depends on various considerations, including whether they wish to do so.

"The Prime Minister now has an opportunity to inject fresh blood into the Cabinet," said Dr da Cunha, highlighting the possibility that one or two individuals may move from the backbenches straight into Cabinet.

"The Prime Minister has already indicated he is not averse to such a move when in 2008 he took Mr K Shanmugam (Minister for Home Affairs & Minister for Law) straight from the backbenches and made him a full Cabinet minister," he pointed out.

Dr da Cunha added, "Even with Mr Lee's departure from Cabinet, he has such a stature that his voice cannot be ignored."

• SRC Member

:whistleComments from s111 1 hour ago

:angel:Good, no more MM and SM to baby-sit PM in Cabinet. Must add that GCT was more consensus-building when he was PM, and he scored 75% votes when he retired.

Kindly also remove tough talking Ministers out as well, such as VB and KS, they have the most arrogant attitudes which are quickly aped by your top civil servants to bully their subordinates- ie the Fake Little LKY at ground zero. don't count on Civil Servants to implement your policies other wise when their Ministers have these airs and postures. Monkeys see, monkeys do!

Your Ministers who did not perform well as perceived by the electorate should be removed. IF MM and SM can take it so should they. There are no end of talents in PAP as well as in other political parties, and in Singapore. If you cannot fill their shoes, please move aside and retire the lot.

Better Singaporeans can rise to the occasion!

:evil:Comment from The Bukit Man 2 hours ago

1. I can feel the fresh air.

2. I can begin to see the change.

3. Echo and noises they say finally become voices.

4. Dreams & Wishes comming true.

5. Oppositions becomes propositions.

6. Iron fists become lion's hisses.

7. Majulah PAP change back to Majulah Singapura.

Hey!, wait a minute, I still smell something fishy....

MBT, WKS & TPL arggggggg!!!!

:friends:About Time !!!

:pirate:Trimmer, Slimmer, Leaner Cabinet: Analyst

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Sun, May 15, 2011

A veteran journalist and political analyst believes Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's decision to step down from Cabinet is just the beginning.

PN Balji, who is the director of the Asia Journalism Fellowship and former editor-in-chief of Today newspaper, told Yahoo! Singapore that he expects other older ministers to follow in MM Lee's and SM Goh's footsteps.

"We are going to see a trimmer, slimmer and leaner Cabinet," predicted the 62-year-old former deputy editor of The Straits Times.

Compared to the US which has 17 full ministers, Singapore is "over-sized" with 21 full ministers, he noted.

Besides MM Lee and SM Goh, Deputy Prime Minister S. Jayakumar, Foreign Minister George Yeo and Ministers in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Boon Heng and Lim Hwee Hua will also be exiting politics and will not be part of the new Cabinet, expected to announced in the coming week.

Of the current batch, Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, 65, and National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan, 62, are the oldest Cabinet Ministers left.

Balji said the decision to give PM Lee and his team a fresh slate to connect with younger Singaporeans is an "indirect admission that MM and SM have not helped PM's drive to engage the younger voters."

"Their statements during the campaign showed that they have lost touch with the ground and had actually contributed to the worse electoral performance of the PAP," he said.

The People's Action Party saw their share of valid vote drop by 6.5 percentage points to 60.1 per cent this General Election.

However, Balji still expects MM Lee and SM Goh will be "given some kind of role", with one possibility being in the area of foreign affairs where both politicians can fill part of the vacuum left by the impending departure of Foreign Minister George Yeo.

"Both are well known to world leaders and have been useful to open doors for businesses. Also, they can be used to feel the pulse of the important players in the world," he said.

Other political analysts Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said MM Lee and SM Goh's announcement marks a "new dawn" for Singapore.

Political commentator and law lecturer at the Singapore Management University Eugene Tan said, "The news suggests that a new dawn in our political landscape awaits us."

Reacting to MM Lee and SM Goh's decision to step down, he said that this will now give Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong a free hand in deciding on the new Cabinet line-up.

"There will be a period of adjustment as we transition to a new reality," said Tan. "One can say that PM Lee is now fully in charge and fully accountable."

He said this move is a recognition of the "resentment and unhappiness across broad swathes of Singapore society to the PAP government".

The presence of the two senior leaders could "image-wise, invariably reinforce the view that the party and government may be out of touch", said Tan. By stepping aside, they allow for a new Cabinet "not cramped by (their) political style".

"The systems, processes and policies of government are robustly in place and well-established. Their departure will reinforce the belief that the system in Singapore is institution-based rather than personality-based," he said.

"It also demonstrates that Singapore is confident enough to proceed forth without hanging on to the past," he added.

Independent scholar Derek da Cunha added, "Like many others, I had thought, given his age, there was a good possibility Mr Lee would not run in this last election. His decision to run therefore came as a surprise."

"Now a week after the election, that both Mr Lee and Mr Goh have indicated they no longer want to serve in Cabinet is an even bigger surprise," he said.

Dr da Cunha noted, "one of the main roles of ministers is to anchor home a GRC to victory". After they have done so, the decision to remain in Cabinet depends on various considerations, including whether they wish to do so.

"The Prime Minister now has an opportunity to inject fresh blood into the Cabinet," said Dr da Cunha, highlighting the possibility that one or two individuals may move from the backbenches straight into Cabinet.

"The Prime Minister has already indicated he is not averse to such a move when in 2008 he took Mr K Shanmugam (Minister for Home Affairs & Minister for Law) straight from the backbenches and made him a full Cabinet minister," he pointed out.

Dr da Cunha added, "Even with Mr Lee's departure from Cabinet, he has such a stature that his voice cannot be ignored."

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:TALK-kock SING-$ongbird...!!!

PUBLIC SERVICE DIVISION must connect with People: DPM TEO

By Fann Sim | SingaporeScene – Sat, May 14, 2011

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean urged the Public Service Division to review the way policies are formulated for Singaporeans.

DPM Teo, the minister in charge of the civil service, was speaking to public officers, civil servants and agencies at the Excellence in Public Service Award Ceremony on Friday.

He said that the recent watershed General Election has shown that there is a "a clear desire by the electorate for their voices to be heard."

DPM Teo also believes that the Public Service has a key role to play to transform how the government governs and the way polices are formulated and delivered. He agrees that it should be done in a way that ensures policy-makers "listen more" and "connect with the citizens". :pinch:

"As the Singapore society becomes more diverse and what our citizens want and expect become more wide-ranging, the challenges faced by our Public Service will also grow in terms of magnitude and complexity," said DPM Teo.

He added that it would be impossible for the Service to try and solve problems on their own and should instead, tap on the public for suggestions.

The minister suggested for the Service to tap on the collective wisdom and knowledge of the people and stakeholders involved. This way, polices designed would resonate better with citizens who are on the receiving end of the policy.

He said: "We need to create an environment where public officers can work hand-in-glove with the people they serve to address the issues and create greater public value."

DPM Teo reasoned that such a way can help create a Singapore where citizens can feel engaged and have shared ownership of the challengers and look for solutions together.

He gave the example of Northlight School where parents, potential employers of the students and other stakeholders are actively engaged to design a programme for students with learning difficulties.

Awards were given to 19 organisations and 103 individuals. They ranged widely from town councils to schools and attachés to probation officers.

• SRC Member

:whistleSingapore's Founding Father QUITS Cabinet

By Martin Abbugao | AFP News – Sun, May 15, 2011

Singapore's founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said Saturday he will quit the cabinet to make way for younger leaders after the ruling party's worst performance in an election.

Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, the city-state's second premier, will also leave the cabinet, according to a statement he released jointly with the 87-year-old Lee, who holds the special title Minister Mentor.

The surprise move by Lee and Goh, who turns 70 next week, came after general elections on May 7 revealed deep resentment against the People's Action Party (PAP), which has ruled Singapore for over half a century.

It will be the first time Lee will be out of government in 52 years -- he was first elected prime minister in 1959, when colonial ruler Britain granted self-rule to Singapore, and stepped down in 1990 in favour of Goh.

Lee's son, current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, 59, took over from Goh in 2004, but kept his two predecessors as his closest advisers to tap their experience and international connections.

"After a watershed general election, we have decided to leave the cabinet and have a completely younger team of ministers to connect to and engage with this young generation in shaping the future of our Singapore," Lee and Goh said.

The two veteran politicians, who will remain in parliament, said the time had come for "a younger generation to carry Singapore forward in a more difficult and complex situation".

Prime Minister Lee, who is due to form a new government soon, called the pair's decision to quit a "major event" for Singapore, adding that he will likely decide on Monday whether to accept their resignations.

"The basic consideration is what is the best approach for forming a team which would be most effective in solving problems and establishing rapport and trust with the people going forward for the next five years," broadcaster Channel NewsAsia quoted him as saying.

Although the ruling party won 81 out of the 87 elected seats at stake, the opposition managed to break the PAP's stranglehold on power by scoring its best performance since Singapore became a republic in 1965 after separating from Malaysia.

Foreign Minister George Yeo was the biggest casualty of opposition gains when his five-member PAP ticket was toppled by the Workers' Party.

In the most telling result, the PAP's share of all votes cast -- the equivalent of an approval rating -- fell to an all-time low of 60 percent from 67 percent in 2006 and 75 percent in 2001.

The election outcome has prompted soul-searching within the PAP and the two former premiers said the new cabinet should have "a fresh clean slate".

The elder Lee is widely credited for Singapore's rapid rise from a third-world trading port to one of Asia's wealthiest, most stable and safest societies with a per capita income of $48,000 in 2010.

But he was also criticised for sidelining political rivals and stifling freedom of expression as he consolidated power.

People who dared to oppose Lee often found themselves in court, charged with defamation and other offences.

Ahead of the May 7 election, however, thousands of Singaporeans joined opposition rallies and vented their anger on issues including high living costs, the large intake of foreign workers in recent years and the PAP's perceived arrogance and aloofness after many years in power.

Ordinary Singaporeans used the web, particularly social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to air their gripes and bypass the pro-PAP mainstream media, while former PAP activists and civil servants ran as opposition candidates.

"I think the feedback was that the people are really very angry with the PAP," said Seah Chiang Nee, who operates the independent socio-political website www.littlespeck.com.

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Goodness Gracious MOI...now then U know !

:pirate:Mountbatten MP 'horrified' at BUS SERVICE Standards

By Ion Danker | SingaporeScene – 15 hours ago

New Mountbatten Member of Parliament (MP) Lim Biow Chuan says he was "horrified" at the bus service standards in his ward after conducting a spot check last Monday.

In particular, he questioned why three bus services -- 158, 12 and 197 -- took half an hour to arrive.

Accompanied by a Land Transport Authority officer, Mr Lim said his first check was made at Jalan Batu, near Tanjong Rhu HDB estate, and the second at the bus stop near Block 56, Cassia Crescent.

In a posting on his Facebook page on 16 May, he wrote, "I received complaints about the regularity of some bus services during the campaign period. This morning, I waited at the bus stop from 8am to 9am with LTA (Land Transport Authority) officer to do an audit and was horrified at the result. Will be writing to PTC (Public Transport Council) and LTA to lodge a formal complaint about the service standards of the bus services."

On Thursday, he posted the following Facebook update: "Was at bus stop next to Block 56 Cassia Crescent this morning for 2nd informal audit. Results are slightly better although there is room for improvement. For service 70, a total of 8 buses came within a period of 50 mins. Service 197 need to improve. Will feedback to PTC for their follow-up with SBS. Then monitor to see whether there are improvements."

"I know how bus companies work," he was later quoted as saying on Channel NewsAsia.

"They say there are traffic jams, breakdowns etc. I do empathise. But at the end of the day, bus commuters are frustrated and bus companies must know this."

He added that although he has made similar checks before, he decided to publicise his latest efforts on Facebook to be more visible to residents.

"I realise that when you do it quietly, people don't realise you've been doing it, and come elections, they say you've not been doing anything."

Mr Lim said he would continue to follow up with SBS Transit and the Public Transport Council and monitor the services for improvements.

• SRC Member

:welldone:PM LEE sets up Committee to review Ministerial PAY

By Ewen Boey | SingaporeScene – Sat, May 21, 2011

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has acknowledged Singaporeans' concern about Ministers' salaries, and has formed a committee to review them.

Speaking at the swearing-in ceremony on Saturday night, he revealed that the committee will be headed by National Kidney Foundation (NKF) chairman Gerard Ee.

He said: "One important area for review is political salaries. We will always need committed and capable ministers. Politics is not a job or a career promotion. It is a calling to serve the larger good of Singapore.

"But ministers should also be paid properly in order that Singapore can have honest, competent leadership over the long term. I know that Singaporeans have genuine concerns over the present salaries.

"Hence I am appointing a committee to review the basis and level of political salaries. The committee will be chaired by Mr Gerard Ee, Chairman of Changi General Hospital and Chairman of NKF."

Ee said that his committee will work on PM Lee's point that holding political office is about serving the public.

"PM has said in his speech that salaries must reflect the values and ethos of public service. That means that whatever we work out, the final answer must include a substantial discount on comparable salaries in the private sector and people looking at it will say, 'these people are serving and making a sacrifice'," he told The Sunday Times.

Ee added that his team has been handed a very serious task, as the issue of Ministers' pay resonates strongly with Singaporeans. He expects his committee to do an in-depth study of comparable salaries in the private sector, and to factor in other points of reference such as general wage levels.

"We must be seen to be very fair and transparent. We must be able to robustly defend our recommendations," he said.

The Prime Minister's current salary is estimated to be over S$3 million while ministerial-grade officers are paid more than S$1.5 million.

Opposition politicians attacked Ministers' salaries in the recent election campaign as being far removed from the wages of ordinary Singaporeans. They also indicated that the policy has failed to achieve its aim of attracting top private sector talent into the government.

Newly-appointed Education Minister Heng Swee Keat showed his support for the salary review "so that we get an agreement on this important national issue".

President S.R. Nathan inaugurated PM Lee's new Cabinet comprising 15 ministers -- a reduction from 21 of the previous cabinet -- and 10 Ministers of State.

The average age of the new Cabinet was brought down from 59 to 53, which includes newly-elected Member of Parliament (MP) Heng as Education Minister.

Speaking at the ceremony, President S R Nathan said: "The General Election saw a full airing of views on a wide range of issues. Now is the time for everyone, whether from the government or opposition, to work together to serve the nation, and do their best for the good of all Singaporeans.

"In its new term, the government must reach out and work together with Singaporeans from all backgrounds, and address their needs and aspirations.

"It must put in a special effort to better understand the younger generation when shaping policies that affect them and the future of Singapore. At the same time, it must attend to the concerns of the senior generation who have helped build the Singapore of today."

PM Lee added in his speech that he promised to engage all segments of society - offline and online.

"I pledge to work together with all Singaporeans to create a just and fair society, which gives all citizens the best start in life, and leaves no one behind. A Singapore which is open to the world yet puts Singaporeans first. A Singapore which excites our young and respects our old. A society that nurtures and inspires the human spirit, beyond material success," he said.

"Rich or poor, young or old, men or women, Singapore is our home. Here we all belong. Here we can work together for the common good, and share our pride in being Singaporeans."

PM Lee also commented on the new Parliament that will see nine opposition members in the House. He said that with more diverse voices, Singapore politics should not become confrontational or divide the society.

"Our politics cannot remain static either. More interest groups and alternative views have emerged, competing for support. Our political system can and must accommodate more views, more debate and more participation.

"At the same time, it is absolutely crucial for Singa­poreans to stay united on the big issues, understand the fundamental realities facing a small country in Southeast Asia, and work together to develop and implement the best solutions for our country," he said.

The ceremony was attended by about 700 guests, including newly-elected and former MPs, students, social workers, unionists, doctors, nurses, teachers, businessmen and soldiers.

• SRC Member

:angry:Mah Bow Tan: I accept responsibility for UNHAPPINESS

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Fri, May 20, 2011

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said on Thursday that he accepts responsibility over the unhappiness caused by the sharp rise in housing prices.

"Housing is always a very sensitive subject. And I guess to the extent that in the last couple of years, housing prices went up very sharply, coinciding with the very dramatic turnaround in the economy, I guess that resulted in quite a lot of unhappiness on the ground. And I accept responsibility for that," said the outgoing minister to the mainstream media.

Minister Mah, who was speaking at the sidelines of a Building and Construction Authority event, is one of the three ministers whose retirement was announced on Wednesday. The other two are Ministers Raymond Lim and Wong Kan Seng.

In an earlier statement on Thursday, Minister Mah said he wanted to retire two years ago.

"Now that the elections have been fought and won, all the more reason why I should step down from Cabinet," he told reporters that evening.

He added, the outcome of the pools was one of the factors in his decision.

The results showed the Singapore government needed "fresh minds, fresh thinking, fresh ideas," he said."When the results came out, it was probably a clear signal that I should do so (retire) sooner rather than later into the term."

The 62-year-old minister, who has spent 23 years in politics, also shared the ups and downs of his political career.

He said, forming the Land Transport Authority in 1995 and opening the North-East MRT Line in 2003 was among the high points, while a major low point was his "traumatic time"during the SilkAir crash in Palembang in 1997.

He was Minister for Communications then. He took on the National Development portfolio in 1999.

On whether voters should have known he was stepping down, Today newspaper reported Minister Mah saying, "No, after every election, the PM forms his Cabinet."

Tampines residents may have lost him as a Cabinet minister, but they gained another minister, newcomer Heng Swee Keat who will be the Education Minister, he noted.

Minister Mah said he plans to spend more time with his residents, family and friends.

post-2609-0-59308000-1306042655_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:bow:SAYONARA !!! :groupwavereversed:

:peace:MM LEE attends FINAL Cabinet Meeting

By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Fri, May 20, 2011

It was the last Cabinet meeting for nine ministers yesterday, including Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, 87, and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, 70.

For MM Lee, it marks the end of his 52 years in government after he chaired his first meeting in June 1959 when he was prime minister.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong told mainstream media, "We were all conscious that this was the end of an era."

He said, after a short agenda of routine business, he thanked SM Goh, MM Lee and the retiring ministers.

"MM spoke, recalling his first Cabinet meeting in May 1959 in City Hall, just after the PAP had won the election. He said there was a photo of that meeting too," said PM Lee.

"MM said he was happy that the new team taking over was a strong one, and that he and SM had made the right decision to step down completely," he continued.

The other retiring ministers also spoke, with SM thanking MM Lee, on the behalf of all present, for his "unwavering policy of self-renewal", which allowed ministers the opportunity to serve in Cabinet.

As the ministers applauded MM Lee, MM Lee wished the new team well and success in tackling difficult challenges ahead.

According to those present, the mood at the meeting held at the Istana was reflective, reported The Straits Times.

Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam told the paper, "For me, it was seeing history being made."

"For my generation, MM symbolises Singapore -- a leader not just of a party but of a whole movement."

Foreign Minister George Yeo, who will be stepping down, wrote in his Facebook page: "With MM Lee and SM Goh stepping down, a chapter closes and a new one opens in the Singapore story."

Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan also penned a short note on his Facebook page on Friday. He wrote, "My last day in MOH today. This follows the last Cabinet Meeting with MM and SM yesterday."

"Yes, the end of an old era and the beginning of a new one. Reflective, but also quiet confidence that the best days are ahead of us. So long as we stay untied as one people," said Minister Khaw.

On Saturday, the new Cabinet of 15 ministers will be sworn in and new faces will occupy the emptied seats.

With all the recent changes that has happened after the election, i have nothing but sympathy for our PM Lee.

All the critics on the opposition has been silenced but watch in awe what has been truly prevailed in this election.

Seems like most of the so call "BEST PEOPLE" he has selected over the last decade are only a bunch of YES man, and that he only suddenly come to realise the unhappiness over so many controversial national issue 'pops' up during the election.

When the parliament debates about previous Minister pay issue, which PAP MP was there to voice concern for the singaporeans (let alone challenge) ? Now that the so call 'need to review' subject has been mentioned, again you see all these pappies can wait to sing the same tune again. I would rather that them just shut up than to further prove the point that they are mere opportunist.

I respect PM Lee for most of his good intention for the country. But feel so sad that he isn't able to truly get the good people to assist him in the past.

Hopefully this round of new faces will truly make the cut and tune in line with the people.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

With all the recent changes that has happened after the election, i have nothing but sympathy for our PM Lee.

All the critics on the opposition has been silenced but watch in awe what has been truly prevailed in this election.

Seems like most of the so call "BEST PEOPLE" he has selected over the last decade are only a bunch of YES man, and that he only suddenly come to realise the unhappiness over so many controversial national issue 'pops' up during the election.

When the parliament debates about previous Minister pay issue, which PAP MP was there to voice concern for the singaporeans (let alone challenge) ? Now that the so call 'need to review' subject has been mentioned, again you see all these pappies can wait to sing the same tune again. I would rather that them just shut up than to further prove the point that they are mere opportunist.

I respect PM Lee for most of his good intention for the country. But feel so sad that he isn't able to truly get the good people to assist him in the past.

Hopefully this round of new faces will truly make the cut and tune in line with the people.

the so-called "mess" created by previous policies are not easy to change or amend....how is the new cabinet going to bring down prices of HDB w/o antagonising Singaporeans who are hoping that their prices of their flats remains high so that they can sell it off for retirement savings or pay off their loans vs another group of Singaporeans who are starting their families and need a flat.

and if the ministers pay is going to be cut, how much is enough to say that this is fair w/o losing the talents. if a minister who is currently paid millions and suddenly gets a pay cut of 60-70%, will he/ she stays?

l7304smr.jpg