R.O water in mini-mart

• SRC Member

Today i found this RO water in the mini-mart, can they be used for marine ? Selling $1.20 for 1.5L.

It stated Reverse Osmosis Water

*R.O. Drinking Water* is odourless, crystal water produced using modern membrane and purification techniques.

Mineral Contents( Approximatey)mg/l

Calcium 0.39

Bicarbonate N.D

Sodium 5.30

Chloride 4.0

Magnesium 0.04

Potassium 0.34

PH 6.9

Sulphate 1

Can it be used as RO water for marine ? Do i need to add anti-chlorine for it ?

Actually hope that it will bring down my high dKH problem...

• SRC Member

Using the KH test kit by Aquariumpharm( posted eariler ), alkalinity to be 21dKH !!! Maybe my test kit not reliable.....

Did a water change the next day and found still in the higher side; 17dKH !!

Thought of using those R.O water to reduce my water hardness. But might promote undesirable algae of the mineral contents !

• SRC Member

if u realli wan purer water than tap water for water change/top up, give the deionizer (DI unit) a try :)

else, u may wan to try the RO units (more ex than DI units) which u can buy from LFS too...

does ur house install those $1000++ ~$2000 type RO units intended for drinking? those will do as well if u do not hav a large tank :)

• SRC Member

What about those " Diamond water " meant for drinking ? it also going through some process so that the molecules are easily absorb by our body.

Know that it cost a few k to attach to the tap water for some purification.

Are those consider DI, RO/DI unit ? Cos some are selling a big bottle ard 4-6 gallon for $5.

• SRC Member
owder Blue,Jan 4 2004, 01:29 AM] why not use distilled water? I have been using this brand "Life" for my water top-up. :)

Thought the distilled water might contain copper cos we do not know the water source, quality of the filters and how often the machine is used compared to how often it is serviced.

If only there is a wine store close to my house, call them to find if they sale distilled or RO/DI water. That's the safest place, it's in a wine place because they need perfect water to produce wine.

P]owder Blue: thanks for ur suggestion, do u have any undesirable algae problem using distilled water ? If not, can safely use the brand that u recommend..

• SRC Member
What about those " Diamond water " meant for drinking ? it also going through some process so that the molecules are easily absorb by our body.

Know that it cost a few k to attach to the tap water for some purification.

Are those consider DI, RO/DI unit ? Cos some are selling a big bottle ard 4-6 gallon for $5.

Never heard of " Diamond water " :blink:

those expensive RO units that i refer to r those pple install to drink pure water which is purified using RO process.... 1 example is the elken RO unit.

for 1L of pure RO water, there will be, i guess 2~4L of waste water... thus onli suitable for nano tanks...

some RO units for aquarium usage can be get from LFS....

i wld discourage mineral water ( or so called RO/distilled water ) bought from super market, as u realli hav no idea what additional stuff the manufacturers added :fear:

Hmm..wonder what's the fuss...why not just use tap water and chemical resins in ur sump?

tap water actually, will suffice for water changes after dechlorination....

for ur high dhk, do water changes n it shld be reduced to a stable level after that and dun use superbuffers unnecessarily again :)

If only there is a wine store close to my house, call them to find if they sale distilled or RO/DI water. That's the safest place, it's in a wine place because they need perfect water to produce wine.

Huh? Are there vineyards here in Singapore producing wine? :blink:

Are you referring to a beer distillery like Brewerks?

Had too much beer? :lol: