Calc Reactor Advise

• SRC Member

Hey fellow reefers,

I am tired of dripping kalk, adding calcium, adjusting PH and Alk. Have decided to take the pain of getting a calc reactor. Need advise on which calc reactor shld i purchase. Any feedback is much appreciated.

• SRC Member

Calcium reactors are worse than dripping kalk. Unless you really need one, it's better to avoid using one. Dripping kalkwasser has the advantage of precipitating phosphates and decreasing pH fluctuation if dripped at night.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Why don't you try Alvy's DIY ca reactor? Looks good.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Alvy can make the ca reactorfor you, for a price of course. ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Some brandless garage factory kind from US, works but it's too small to meet the calcium demand for my tank. I'll need a larger one soon.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

TTboy, have you seen my Korallin Kalkreactor?

I got a lobang for a good German brand calc reactor, supposedly even BETTER than my Korallin. :(

From my HK distributor friend. Give you more info later.

• SRC Member
Thanks AT!

Very sian of preparing solutions everyday.

;)

When you get the reactor you will be adjusting the drip rate and bubble rate everyday! Then every month you'll have to top up reactor media or bleed trapped gas. Twice a year you'll have to empty and clean the reactor. Not to mention you'll have to refill CO2 tank.

I'm sian of my reactor, wish I can dose more kalk.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I was reading that the cost of running a calc reactor in the long term is much cheaper than buying calc solutions, kalkwasser etc.

How abt a kalkwasser reactor? Does it serve the same purpose? I heard of some pple have using both.

• SRC Member

Hi Pospeh,

I think the CO2 canister can last from 6 mths to 1 yr. Depending on usuage. Each refill is abt $15 i think. Whereas a jar of kalk can last a few mths?

Aquamedic and Deltec makes Kalk reactors.

The Kalkwasserreactor is a sealed unit designed to supply reef aquariums with Calcium by enriching the fresh water top up supply. It uses the Kalkwasser-method and is filled with Calcium hydroxide, which is intermittently agitated by a pump. It is possible to automate the system by combining an automatic level controller such as the ab aquaniveau single with the AquaMedic Kalkwasserreactor. The reactor is engineered to take a pH electrode to control the quality of the kalkwasser. An additional advantage of this method is, that phosphate is removed from the top up and the aquarium water.

Dimensions:

17 x 17 x 54 cm ( L x B x H), c. 7" x 7" x 22" ( L x W x H)

I have never heard of a kalkwasser reactor.  I dont think it exists.

I have never owned a calcium reactor, but it seems to me the CO2 canisters and other maintenance costs are not lower than a SGD20 jar of kalkwasser powder.

Simply,

A kalkwasser reactor is where you dump in kalkwasser enough to last for some time. Water is dosed in using a topup pump. The kalkwasser reactor stirs the solution and doses it into your tank/sump. This automatic doser saves you daily time in manually dosing your tank.

A calcium reactor used CO2 to dissolve calcium carbonate media (eg. coral chips) and thereby releasing calcium ions into the water.

• SRC Member
Last pix is a kalk/nilsen reactor... not a calcium reactor.

They are slightly different.

AT,

Maybe can help us identify the differences...???

Never understand how a Kalk reactor works...

Might try DIYing if I know how it functions in the first place...

:lol:

Oops..... you answer already.....

BtW, anyone can explain how the mixture gets mixed.... and how the kalk gets dripped into the sump??

• SRC Member

Gee, learn something new everyday.

The function of the kalkwasser reactor sounds like a kalkwasser dispenser though. Must be another marketing gimmick to try to sell it on par with the calcium reactors, which in my mind is a true reactor in the sense that a chemical reaction takes place in which coral chips is broken down into free calcium ions by CO2.

Anyway, I have always been taught that kalkwasser cannot be used days later because of the danger of formation of calcium carbonate. I suppose this kalkwasser reactor is sealed, but . . .