will it crack ?

• SRC Member

5 mm i think is abit thin. Get the 10 or 12mm ones lah. better safe than sori. Once u buy it , it stays with u for a long time.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Actually, the thickness of the glass is determine by the height of the tank, i.e. the water pressure exerted onto the glass wall.

5mm seems to be too thin. Get a reputable maker to do it. Shattered glass can be pretty dangerous. :nuke:

Hi !

Other than the thickness of tank, additional safety design such as "Euro-Bracing" on the top perimeter of your tank should be considered.

Frankly, my 4ft tank is made in Itay....thickness is only 8mm (not even 10mm) . But it comes original with 50mm Euro-Bracing all round and Casing Hood on Top.

I have about 55~60kgs LR, Remora Pro Hang-On PS, Light Stands and UV Sterlizer resting on the tank. This tank was used as fresh water tank for 1.5 year.....converted to Marine tank about 6~7 months ago, furtunately nothing goes wrong so far.....but I would think better be extra safe ...use minimum 10mm, better would be 12mm thickness glass.

Cheers !

my current 4ft is using 12mm, seeing the thick glass makes you feel safe and can sleep without worry that the tank will crack while you sleep.

Did you guys noticed that most of the tank crack always happen at night?

Maybe mantis shrimp usually attack at night! ;)

• SRC Member
my current 4ft is using 12mm, seeing the thick glass makes you feel safe and can sleep without worry that the tank will crack while you sleep.

Did you guys noticed that most of the tank crack always happen at night?

well it's because the outside envirnoment cool down at night thus due to conract.. it make the glass crack

well it's because the outside envirnoment cool down at night thus due to conract.. it make the glass crack

<_< ....

If you put it that way, then thicker glass will have the tendancy to crack easier due to differential temperature. :P

You can use the tank..provided you only fill it up to 50% or less?

Why not set up a mini mangrove habitat? :eyebrow:

I think you mean 6mm...i don't think any normal FW 4 footer uses 5mm glass...

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/