Sailfin Tang ID

CFOh

This one I found quite interesting too.. Lets guess what sailfin species r them and where r they from?

post-9248-0-59814800-1297905526_thumb.jp

post-9248-0-48822300-1297905554_thumb.jp

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

Edited by CFOh

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

there's only 2 species of "sailfin tang"

Zebrasoma dejardinii and Zebrasoma veliferum.

the more commonly seen Z. veliferum is mainly found in the Pacific ocean, very widespread.

it is replaced by desjardin (pronounced day-har-din, not des-jar-din) sailfin tang from the Indian ocean.

as with most similarly evolved fishes, some scientist classify desjardin and veliferum to be the same species, just geographical variation. scientisits that lump similar species are called "lumpers". Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura and C. lyukyuensis is also another case.

but scientisits that split all these little differences up are called "splitters".

in science there are always lumpers and splitters. i like to split and regard Z. veliferum and desjardinii to be separate valid species.

after all their range hardly overlap and one is replaced by the other in different oceans. replacement species are very common amongst similar looking fishes and are often discussed in taxonomy wether they are same or different sp.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the spoiler, lemon. ;-p

At least let some try try mah.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

there's only 2 species of "sailfin tang"

Zebrasoma dejardinii and Zebrasoma veliferum.

the more commonly seen Z. veliferum is mainly found in the Pacific ocean, very widespread.

it is replaced by desjardin (pronounced day-har-din, not des-jar-din) sailfin tang from the Indian ocean.

as with most similarly evolved fishes, some scientist classify desjardin and veliferum to be the same species, just geographical variation. scientisits that lump similar species are called "lumpers". Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura and C. lyukyuensis is also another case.

but scientisits that split all these little differences up are called "splitters".

in science there are always lumpers and splitters. i like to split and regard Z. veliferum and desjardinii to be separate valid species.

after all their range hardly overlap and one is replaced by the other in different oceans. replacement species are very common amongst similar looking fishes and are often discussed in taxonomy wether they are same or different sp.

Thanks Lemon, Some actually referring zebrasoma species as Sailfin family...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zebrasom.htm

And the interesting part is I realize fishes r same like us 'human', exhibited difference coloration and pattern from different region..

That's why I found interesting to share here... Lets try ID them :)

Cheers and Happy reefing... :thanks:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

Thanks for the spoiler, lemon. ;-p

At least let some try try mah.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

sorry. next time i won't participate in ID games anymore lol. :P

Thanks Lemon, Some actually referring zebrasoma species as Sailfin family...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zebrasom.htm

And the interesting part is I realize fishes r same like us 'human', exhibited difference coloration and pattern from different region..

That's why I found interesting to share here... Lets try ID them :)

Cheers and Happy reefing... :thanks:

the genus zebrasoma is referred to as the "sailfin tang"

but the desjardini and veliferum is the sailfin of the "sailfin tangs".

the rest are not referred to as sailfin tangs in real life. rather, yellow tang, purple tang etc etc.

the genus zebrasoma is referred to as the "sailfin tang"

but the desjardini and veliferum is the sailfin of the "sailfin tangs".

the rest are not referred to as sailfin tangs in real life. rather, yellow tang, purple tang etc etc.

I know what u mean, sailfin tang is common name for desjardini and veliferum family.. Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore