Quarantine Tank

hfabs

HiHi and Happy CNY to All

I intend to set up a small quarantine tank (43cm (16.9 inches) x 26cm (10.25 inches) x 22.4cm (8.75 inches); 23 litres) and it comes with filtration and light. It is strictly a quarantine tank for new stocks and sick fish, what are the bare essentials do I need for a quarantine tank? any advice is most appreciated.

: )

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

Thanks Lemon....do I need to let the water mature or something? I have topped it up with treated sea water and the tank is bare except for the filter system. I think I will take the lights of. Thanks : )

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

• Senior Reefer

don't need lights.

as for letting the water mature, yes.

you can choose to cycle or not. it's up to you. there's two schools of thoughts here. a cycled well condition quarantine tank, or a non cycled one that keeps the water clean with regular water changes and regular tests for ammonia.

a quarantine tank is very good for getting your fishes well acclimated and feeding and gaining strength before it enters the busy display tank, and for treating diseases.

Thanks Lemon. Can I also seek your advice on preparing my own water change. I used to get treated sea water but I now intend to mix sea salt. I am using Tropic Marine Salt and I am adding a bit by a bit to attain close to 1.023 salinity...how abt the PH, it is now at 9.4? what can be done to lower it to 8.2-8.4?

Many thanks : )

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

A pail works just as well. Just an airstone + daily 100% water changes. The volume you add in the pail is up to you depending on the size of the fish. If the fish is bigger, just perform more regular water changes and top up medication if need be.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Its good to have some filtration media(not wool) and have it cycled. Should your q. fishes are bigger ones like tangs and angel fishes, it will save u the headache of worrying abt ammonia poisoning.

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)