Exotic and beautiful damsels/chromis

• Senior Reefer

Received a sms from Yellowtang asking for reccomendation on some nice and interesting damsels. So i've decided to do a little thread to showcase some of the more interesting damsels/chromis obtainable in the hobby.

Contrary to popular belief, damsels/chromises come in all colours and not all are common and aggressive. I've seen many misconceptions in this hobby from "all butterflies are not reef safe", "dwarf angels reef safe is 50-50" etc etc, and now this.

"all damsels/chromises are aggressive and ugly". wroong

anyway i will talk about damsels and chromises today.

It is inevitable that some damsels and chromises are aggressive. it's in the nature of this family to be territorial. I will now show you some of them, and rate them in terms of aggressiveness and availability.

Bear in mind there is almost no such thing as a non aggressive damsel. There are however, sightly milder mannered ones.

• SRC Member

Received a sms from Yellowtang asking for reccomendation on some nice and interesting damsels. So i've decided to do a little thread to showcase some of the more interesting damsels/chromis obtainable in the hobby.

Contrary to popular belief, damsels/chromises come in all colours and not all are common and aggressive. I've seen many misconceptions in this hobby from "all butterflies are not reef safe", "dwarf angels reef safe is 50-50" etc etc, and now this.

"all damsels/chromises are aggressive and ugly".

firstly, not all butterflies are un-reef safe. many are suitable for the reef. but i've said this a billion times and i won't start a new thread about it, and same for the dwarf angels. reef safeness cannot be calculated by percentage like math.

anyway i will talk about damsels and chromises today.

It is inevitable that some damsels and chromises are aggressive. it's in the nature of this family to be territorial. I will now show you some of them, and rate them in terms of aggressiveness and availability.

Bear in mind there is almost no such thing as a non aggressive damsel. There are however, sightly milder mannered ones.

a good website

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsegroupspecies.php?GroupID=22

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• Senior Reefer

Chrysiptera tricincta, the Tuxedo damsel.

Not to be confused with the other similarly coloured aggressive cousins from indonesia/philippines. the Tuxedo damsel is from a different genus and has a different shape. it is lovely, peaceful and extremely beautiful.

Availability : Not available at the moment. Fiji fish. But hopefully in time to come, we might get to see this lovely fish.

Aggressiveness : 3/10

post-15755-0-97410700-1296221392_thumb.j

post-15755-0-78227500-1296221398_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Chrysiptera galba. Canary damselfish.

A gorgeous bright yellow fish with a lovely forked tail. Unfortunately we cannot get it. From only the cook islands.

Availability : None. Only from Cook Islands. Maybe we can see it one day.

Aggressiveness : 4/10?

post-15755-0-75665000-1296221633_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Chrysiptera arnazae.

This damsel is different from the normal yellow tail varieties. it has a yellow pelvic fin and a yellow anal fin.

although it looks normal, the colour is amazing in real life.

Availability : Philippine shipment from ah beng.

aggressiveness : 3/10

post-15755-0-41084400-1296221843_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Senior Reefer

Chrysiptera rollandi.

This fish has two morphs. one with a yellow cap, and one without. the one with the yellow cap is from fiji and is more beautiful. It's expensive.

Availability : LCK sells them from time to time. $50

Aggressiveness : 5/10

post-15755-0-39081900-1296222076_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Chromis vanderbilti. The Vanderbilt's chromis.

Super beautiful and my personal favourite. Will fight amongst themselves so keep only a pair. but very peaceful towards other fish.

Availability : CF only from time to time.

post-15755-0-76945800-1296222429_thumb.j

post-15755-0-12905800-1296222434_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Bro yellowtang, the family of damsels and chromises are never ending. there are hundreds of species and it's not practical for me to go through all.

but the above are just a sampling of some of them.

So please, never discount a family of fishes because of stereotype.

Like for example, people always think damsels are fierce. - WRONG! this mentality can prevent you from trying some of the most beautiful little jewels of the sea! but of course, there are MANY damsels that are also aggressive. so must do research first before buying.

Some people think all butterflies are not reef safe - WRONG! butterflies and gorgeous and it's so natural in a reef tank. but there are some that are COMPLETELY reef safe!

So no more misconceptions and stereotypes! i hope this thread helps to gain some interest and respect for the damselfish family, and not discount them as cheap beginner fishes used to cycle new tanks!

remember, nothing is interesting if you are not interested.

i hope this helps you! :)

• Senior Reefer

yup this is also a good website for everyone to see.

it shows all the species and even tell you which ones can be kept and which ones can't!

a good link bro sunny.

thanks for sharing.

• SRC Member

Chromis retrofasciata

A very small and cute chromis. Very common and very cheap. the bright blue eyes are very nice.

Availability : EVERYWHERE.

Aggressiveness : 1/10

Is this chromis really readily available at our LFS?

Maybe is my poor knowledge of them that I didn't notice them.

• Senior Reefer

The normal yellow tail (think is not the one lemon linked) is quite aggressive..

normal yellow tail

Chrysiptera parasema is quite aggressive. but these chromises are rather small and their aggression is mainly enhanced on smaller weaker fish.

Is this chromis really readily available at our LFS?

Maybe is my poor knowledge of them that I didn't notice them.

yes it's very common in ah beng and coral farm.

• SRC Member

The normal yellow tail (think is not the one lemon linked) is quite aggressive..

Chrysiptera parasema, yes super agressive and once in your tank, you can never get it out!

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Chromis vanderbilti. The Vanderbilt's chromis.

Super beautiful and my personal favourite. Will fight amongst themselves so keep only a pair. but very peaceful towards other fish.

Availability : CF only from time to time.

Thank you, LL.:welldone:

THis Vanderbilts chromas sure look great. I will order 3.

kumsia.

mike.

• Senior Reefer

Thank you, LL.:welldone:

THis Vanderbilts chromas sure look great. I will order 3.

kumsia.

mike.

no need to order.

CF sometimes have.

always hidden at the back and their stress colours are dull and so don't show the true beauty. when in your tank it will be nicer.

of coz can't compare to the wild photos i posted. but still v nice.

no need to order.

CF sometimes have.

always hidden at the back and their stress colours are dull and so don't show the true beauty. when in your tank it will be nicer.

of coz can't compare to the wild photos i posted. but still v nice.

thanks, tomolo morning i shall drop in cf to check.

goodnite

mike

• SRC Member

Chrysiptera galba. Canary damselfish.

A gorgeous bright yellow fish with a lovely forked tail. Unfortunately we cannot get it. From only the cook islands.

Availability : None. Only from Cook Islands. Maybe we can see it one day.

Aggressiveness : 4/10?

Lol... it looks like it is wearing specs! "Smart" looking damsel.

I saw the blue with yellow fins before at ah beng's. Very nice. Wanted to buy, but the only one left was in their display, and they said it was impossible to catch it out without dismantling everything, so...

• Senior Reefer

Lol... it looks like it is wearing specs! "Smart" looking damsel.

I saw the blue with yellow fins before at ah beng's. Very nice. Wanted to buy, but the only one left was in their display, and they said it was impossible to catch it out without dismantling everything, so...

the pictures do no justice.

C. arnazae is a relatively new species. used to be confused with the normal yellow fin tdamsel.

these two below are also v nice.

Chrysiptera springeri and Pomacentrus alleni.

post-15755-0-71233600-1296229178_thumb.j

post-15755-0-92594700-1296229186_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...