Best way to introduce aggressive tangs?

Hi bros and sis,

Need some advise here....from the tang experts.

I currently have a reef tank with purple tang, yellow tang, sailfin tang, blue tang and powder blue tang.

They get along fine and are healthy, feeding, etc.

I just got meself a clown tang and a sohal tang (agressive guys) each housed seperately in QT tanks.

Idea is to get them to feed and acclimatise them properly before introducing them into my reef tank.

Both are healthy but not feeding yet. Am trying flakes, nori, pellets, mysis.

Once they are past this stage comes the worrying part. Intend to introduce them together into main tank.

Qn is, will there be a battle royal since these fishes are well known for their temper especialy the sohal?

Who will emerge the dominant tang? My PBT is the biggest but is quite tame and docile.

If everything works out and they get along, I am also tempted to add an atlantic blue tang and the difficult achilles tang.

Is this a tall order? Anyone tried and succeeded? I know it sounds crazy but I am still hopeful and wishing.....

I have even prepared 4 small mirrors to stick on the glass to dilute any potential agression, introduce at night, flood the tank with food....

Peace.

• SRC Member

Fighting sure will happen bro... Even worse is tat, im 99.99% itch outbreak will happen... U will need to worry more bout itch then fighting.... All e best bro... But if u got uv light n ur fish is fat n healthy, then u hav lesser to worry. As they will fight off the itch.

Fighting sure will happen bro... Even worse is tat, im 99.99% itch outbreak will happen... U will need to worry more bout itch then fighting.... All e best bro... But if u got uv light n ur fish is fat n healthy, then u hav lesser to worry. As they will fight off the itch.

Hi! Thanks for reply. How many Watts UV to get? Is it bad for the SPS and LPS in my tank? Where to get a good one?

How big is your tank? you already have 5 tangs and you still wanna add 2 more... I hope your tank is at least 6 ft or more...

Tank is 9'(L) x 2'(W) x 1.5'(H) mostly sps. Wanna add these 2 more plus other 2 more. Also stocked with other reef safe fishes.

Sump is about the same size.

Thinking of heading down to LCK tomolo for the Atlantic Blue Tang....

Thanks for any tips that might help!

firstly, clown tang aggression level is about 9/10. and it's a difficult fish.

sohal's aggression level is about 10/10.

add these two in your tank already full of other tangs.....

boom

Wow!,

Sounds like a really bad idea afterall...let's see if I get pass the QT stage...thanks bros....dun wanna have a boom situation for the moment....

ya, i think u need to decide which tangs you wanted to keep...

Hmmm....maybe I'll still keep these tangs but in different tanks. Also have a 6' FOWLR tank....will keep the AT and ABT in this tank then....

I tink u can put ur AT n PBT in ur reef tank n e rest in ur fowlr... It will be better...

Jus my 2cent... :P

Thanks bro for yer suggestion,

Update -

PBT, YT, PT, SFT, BT in reef tank

ST in LPS tank

CT in ATS tank

New ABT (got today) in ATS tank partition

ST, CT and new ABT pecking on algae...

Now looking for nice AT...

• 3 weeks later...

Sohal Tank successfully added to reef tank together with all the other tangs. Nothing much happened. Only a bit of chasing.

CT died of starvation in the ATS tank.

ABT now in LPS tank.

Still looking for AT.....