Tanggy

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

That 3ft is my QT. sold the display tank liaoz. Now the chiller not even connect and the MH wont fit. Thats why now worried not even light for corals (using PL 72watt only) and temp flatuation ma. should have sold the tank later. haiz....

• SRC Member
Well not everyone going for 5ft. I was like so close to commiting a 6ft. change my mind just before handling the cheque. Considered running cost, stocking cost, equipement cost. So bo pian go for 5ft. I cal just the elect bill for the 6ft will be close to 100 for running 2 return pumps, 3x250watt, 1.25hp chiller, chiller pump, skimmer pump (worst if downdraft skimmer) etc.

So its a matter of can afford the 6ft tank, but currently dont wanna commit the resources for a 6ft tank lor.

Will not reach $100 for the electricity lar!

My house total utility bill is like $150 only...

and my fish tanks are running the following:

1x250W mh (5hrs)

2x150W mh (6hrs)

2 pumps 65W (24hrs)

3 pumps 30W (24hrs)

2 canisters 45W (24hrs)

1 chiller 1/3Hp (5hrs)

2x36W PL (12hrs)

2xT5 21W (12hrs)

so I estimate the most is like $70....you can compute the actual utility rates, not so scary one.... :)

• SRC Member

My calculation:

3x250mh x 8hrs = 6kwh/day

2x100watt return pump - 4.8kwh/day

1x50watt skimmer pump = 1.2kwh/day

1x65watt recirculation pump = 1.56kwh/day

2x40watt antinic x 12hr= 0.96kwh/day

1x1000watt 1.25hp chiller (eg 6hr) = 6kwh/day

1x65watt chiller pump 24hr= 1.56kwh/day

so total = 22.08kwh/day

so monthly = 22.08 x 30 x 0.155

=$102.68

All this assuming chiller only runs for 6hrs

yearly charges =

3x250 bulb = 360

salt bi weekly 20% change = 7 buckets of salt yearly = 7x80 = 560

power = 102.68 x 12 = 1230

yearly = 2k without counting dosing, water bill etc.

• SRC Member

Have confirm with my tank maker. Tank will be arriving on the weekend before CNY. Dimension is 5x2x2.5ft. Chengai cabinet with hood 3ft in height. 12mm glass with bracing top and bottom. 3.5ft sump. With luck, can still make it!! at least have the rocks in and cycling better then empty tank. :P

• SRC Member
Have confirm with my tank maker. Tank will be arriving on the weekend before CNY. Dimension is 5x2x2.5ft. Chengai cabinet with hood 3ft in height. 12mm glass with bracing top and bottom. 3.5ft sump. With luck, can still make it!! at least have the rocks in and cycling better then empty tank. :P

Congrats man!!!

It seems that there is still time for your relatives to see your new tank during CNY!!

So how about the chiller? Which one are you going for?

• SRC Member

not bad... gd luck..

err can PM me what is the price u paying for this tank with cabinet and sump..

and also the contact...

thanx alot bro...

• SRC Member

Have PM you guys his contact. So you guys just get a qoute from him la. Not nice to say how much cos everyone's design and requirements different. But he's fair and the workmanship is good lor. I have seen a few and cannot complain. Very good workmanship. Just show him your plan and get him to qoute.

• SRC Member

Just got myself a Teco RA680. Know some will say it's underpowered. Trying it in my 3ft and can bring down my temp by 1deg in <15mins But try and see how first lor. If really not enough then change lor. Cos I cal that in order for a 1.25 to be cost effective, The 1/2 hp Techo woulf have to run 3time the period of the 1.25. Meaning for every hour the 1.25 runs, the teco must run longer then 3hrs inorder to see a little saving in elect bill.

So let say a 1.25hp RR run for 8hours a day + approx 1.50 per day. For a teco to run for 20 hrs = 20hrs x440watt/1000 x $0.15/Kwh= $1.32 perday. 20cts more aday is negligible. so I really dont see the advantage of using a 1.025HP chiller in terms of elect savings.

Unless the Teco is unable to chill the tank then will I upgrade. From what I know the 1.25 RR runs for few hours a couple of times a day. so dont see any sunifficant savings.