What fish to avoid if intend to keep a wrasse tank

Hi all,

Need advice on the fishes that I should totally avoid if I intand to keep a tank populated with wrasse.

I had bad experience with hogfish (I checked online that say this fish is peaceful but it chased and bit my wrasse to death or force them to jump.)

Would very much appreciate your views and advices. Thanks in advance..

• SRC Member

Hmmmm, so far i know most wrasses are quite shy so you can't keep aggressive fishes with it. Of course, predatory fishes like hogfish should be avoided. I kept my wrasses with flame hawk, anthias,mandarin, clown goby, tangs (blue/yellow and AT) all no issue so far so i think these are relatively safe.

Some wrasses are just living hell... V v aggressive

Thanks to all that share. Hmm. This is something new to me. I always thought that wrasse is themost peaceful marine fish that will not fight each other. Anyway, what I have in mind are those that i had before plus a couple more. Eg. The pink wrasse that can turn it's eyes, rosy wrasse, flasher wrasse, flame wrasse and probably 1 from Hawaii shipment.

Also wish to keep a couple angels. (only to find out from lemonlemon article that these angels are not lps safe). The angels that I wish to keep are queen and French.

Hi lemonlemon, do these 2 angels eat torch, true octopus corals?

• SRC Member

Jus to share wit u... I dunno bout torch n true octopus... My angel do eat mushroom when people say angel don eat mushroom... My tank is fowlr. Wanted to add mushroom. So when to ah beng shop n get a rock of blue mushroom cost $5. First day was ok. Second day, to my surprise mushroom all gone. So i guess better not to add angels fish if ur keepin coral... Especially big angel like queen n french... Maybe u can try dwaft angel...

Thanks to all that share. Hmm. This is something new to me. I always thought that wrasse is themost peaceful marine fish that will not fight each other. Anyway, what I have in mind are those that i had before plus a couple more. Eg. The pink wrasse that can turn it's eyes, rosy wrasse, flasher wrasse, flame wrasse and probably 1 from Hawaii shipment.

Also wish to keep a couple angels. (only to find out from lemonlemon article that these angels are not lps safe). The angels that I wish to keep are queen and French.

Hi lemonlemon, do these 2 angels eat torch, true octopus corals?

No angels will eat torch and true octo. These corals taste bad! Angelfishes always leave them alone unless u dun feed your fish and they are starving to death and have no choice but to eat them.

A lot of wrasses can be aggressive after a while. For example mystery wrasse can be v fierce after some time in captivity.

Some flashers can be quite aggressive too.

Fairy in general are more peaceful. However some big ones like scotts can also be quite fierce.

Angels and wrasses mix v well.

No angels will eat torch and true octo. These corals taste bad! Angelfishes always leave them alone unless u dun feed your fish and they are starving to death and have no choice but to eat them.

A lot of wrasses can be aggressive after a while. For example mystery wrasse can be v fierce after some time in captivity.

Fairy in general are more peaceful. However some big ones like scotts can also be quite fierce.

Yeah, my mystery wrasse that gotten recently about 2 weeks ago, even flared at one of my earliest fishes, the 3 inch barlett anthias. Scary little fella. :fear:

I'm overwhelmed by all of your generosity in sharing knowledges. A big big thank u to all.

Back to the topic can I conclude that angels and wrasse can mix in a tank and there's risk of angel eating true octopus and torch corals though they should be ok, right? Anyway, I'm still not familiar with the wrasse names that mentioned above. I'll google them.

Anymore to add? I'm so excited.

• Senior Reefer

I'm overwhelmed by all of your generosity in sharing knowledges. A big big thank u to all.

Back to the topic can I conclude that angels and wrasse can mix in a tank and there's risk of angel eating true octopus and torch corals though they should be ok, right? Anyway, I'm still not familiar with the wrasse names that mentioned above. I'll google them.

if you like fairy wrasses, here's a thread i made and pinned up..

all the fairy wrasses in the world.

• Senior Reefer

Yeah, my mystery wrasse that gotten recently about 2 weeks ago, even flared at one of my earliest fishes, the 3 inch barlett anthias. Scary little fella. :fear:

many people don't know that mystery wrasse is the same genus as six line wrasse.

both in the same genus pseudocheilinus.

if you don't see the scientific name, you won't know. coz they look so different.

a mystery is just as, if not, more aggressive than six lines..

Yes angels and wrasses can mix in a tank.

Angels almost never eat euphyllia corals (torch and octo) if the corals are healthy.

Lastly yes pls google the names of the wrasses, there are tonnes of info out there regarding the fishes u wan to buy. Reading them before buying will save u a lot of trouble in the long run.

• SRC Member

Talking abt wrasses... i recall most people saying Green wrasse is very aggressive and grows very big but mine, so far ok eventhough it's probably one of the biggest wrasses... abt 4-5 inches already but i think stop growing already.

• SRC Member

haha ... i would agree to this.

saw my flagfin bite my torch once, and believe me you can see how awful it tasted to him :sick: ... like he was hit by a truck ! after that, never touched it again :nuke:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

haha ... i would agree to this.

saw my flagfin bite my torch once, and believe me you can see how awful it tasted to him :sick: ... like he was hit by a truck ! after that, never touched it again :nuke:

You give me a peace of mind when u share ur experience with ur fish. Thanks.

• SRC Member

Talking abt wrasses... i recall most people saying Green wrasse is very aggressive and grows very big but mine, so far ok eventhough it's probably one of the biggest wrasses... abt 4-5 inches already but i think stop growing already.

It stop growing due to it's environment ie the tank size. The green and yellow wrasse when in juvenile stage perform an important job in the reef but when it gets large, it is turning into a reef bully. It will not tolerate any new wrasse in the tank.

• SRC Member

It stop growing due to it's environment ie the tank size. The green and yellow wrasse when in juvenile stage perform an important job in the reef but when it gets large, it is turning into a reef bully. It will not tolerate any new wrasse in the tank.

Hi BFG, yes, i understand the growth part. Based on my observation, yellow wrasse is definitely more peaceful species of the two. However, my green wrasse has not really been aggressive. In fact I recently added 2 small yellow wrasses in the MT and the green wrasse don't really bother them after the initiate period of maybe 1-2 days. Likewise, I believe we introduce a rhomboid a while back it also never really bother.

However, I have to say, different people have different experience and luck so it may all come down to that as well.. Just like we can never keep PBT. haiz.

• SRC Member

I agree although you were lucky. I have lost a few fish to my green wrasse, the most expensive was the mystery wrasse. It lasted less than a week. Currently collecting a few fairy wrasse though. The green wrasse and a Vlamingi tang was exchanged for a few fire fish at Iwarna. Auntie told me the 2 fish would be sent to the marine fair that was held a few month ago. You might have seen it then.