Beckett 1408

Achilles Tang

With the current interest in DIY skimmer projects, you may have heard of the word 'Beckett' being thrown around.

What is it? It's just a American brand for a range of fountain heads or nozzles.

The 1408 is particularly suitable for use in skimmers and is rated to produce a fountain spray size that goes up 25 feet. There are different models that can can produce a fountain 50 feet high!

Anyway, taking a close look at it.... it's nothing more than a plastic nozzle (made in China!) that effectively allows the mixing of air and water, producing foam. When driven by a powerful pump, it produces a lot of microbubbles.

Take a look:

beckett.jpg

beckett2.jpg

beckett3.jpg

beckett4.jpg

beckett5.jpg

beckett6.jpg

Becketts are not available locally and are usually imported by marine hobbyists who seek an alternative to the poor range of good commercial skimmers available locally by designing their own DIY skimmers.

Hopefully that would change soon as there are many good efficient skimmers from the US and Germany.

• SRC Member

They make really good jacuzzi jets too! B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

my fren bought my piece there years ago...some reefer also bought one for his own diy quite a while ago..i've recently received my 2 X becket order from States (handcarry by fren, USD10.99 per pcs) I might be selling the one bought from the nursery..will let u guys know

• SRC Member

I think u guys can avoid the trip dwn to landscaping nursary beside the heartland mall. Years ago, when my friend & I got it from there, its already their last piece or issit second last. The uncle told me that they are not bringing in anymore stock cos it took them yrs to sell it. He is very happy that we spotted & buying it even though its covered with dust.

It is also smaller than 1408. But performance wise shouldn't be much different. Maybe u can use a smaller pump for it.

Wei :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Looks exactly like the Beckett I have. It splits into 5 parts including the thingie in the middle.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif