Lowering PH

DeepBlue

Did a search, but didnt find the thread or discussion on it.

I recently bought a ph monitor, been using it for a week or more, reading of my ph is very high...

tested with test kit (those ph strips)....found the reading veri hgh as well (above 8.5)

what should I do? appreciate some advice here...

:thanks:

• SRC Member

If u wan... get sera ph minus. U MUST mix with freshwater before addin it into ur tank coz its meant for FW aquarium. Used it before...no impact on my tank so i deem it safe to use but watch ur dosage. Else, leave ur tank alone.....ph shd go down in a couple of days time.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

If u wan... get sera ph minus. U MUST mix with freshwater before addin it into ur tank coz its meant for FW aquarium. Used it before...no impact on my tank so i deem it safe to use but watch ur dosage. Else, leave ur tank alone.....ph shd go down in a couple of days time.

.........never ever add pH minus to a marine tank.......nothing good will come out of it...only alot of problems later on......

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

8.5 is still within acceptable parameters.

Don't worry about it. As Fuel said, it will drop naturally on its own due to biological processes in the tank.

If you are really desperate to lower PH, you can add vinegar or some acid or bubble CO2 in the water at your own risk.

8.5 still seems within the acceptable range...some oceans have natural pH of around 8.5.

Only that at a higher pH ammonia will be more toxic to livestock..so you might experience a slightly higher percentage of die-offs from ur liverock during the cycling period...once it's passed the cycling period and you begin increasing your bioload slowly your pH should drop to around 8.2-8.3

• SRC Member

.........never ever add pH minus to a marine tank.......nothing good will come out of it...only alot of problems later on......

Oh...isit. Care to tell wat prob will i be expecting later on. The last time i used it was like 18-20mths ago on my present tank so wanna knw wat prob will i be expectin....must be prepare for the prob :whistle

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

You will end up with the continual buying of pH minus which drains your $$. The pH will always bounce back up due to the high buffering capacity of marine water. So no point buying it at all...unless your tank has a very very very low kH.

It did'nt even work in my freshwater planted tank last time when I was using coral chips...I can just pour in 2-3 bottles and the pH always ends back up to 8.0-8.2

Not to mention the hydrogen ions present in acids..you won't know what chemical rxn can occur in your tank with other compounds..

• SRC Member

hmm.....surprisinly i only bought one ph minus solution and used once..... still got 90% of it left till today. Only used it initially to reduce the ph of my tank and till 2day, my ph has been in the region of 8.0-8.3. Think its got to do with bit of luck too :angel: . Like i said, i have used it like close to 2 years ago and i did not encounter any prob yet. Mayb its like AIDs....10 yrs dwn the road then get sick :shock: ...

fyi....coral chips will increase ph level and tat explains y after usin ph minus and u still got ph hoverin 8 for ur planted tank.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

fyi....coral chips will increase ph level and tat explains y after usin ph minus and u still got ph hoverin 8 for ur planted tank.

That's absolute rubbish. Sorry.. but who taught you that? If that is true... all our corals, sand & LR will melt and you will have a very alkaline tank!

That's absolute rubbish. Sorry.. but who taught you that? If that is true... all our corals, sand & LR will melt and you will have a very alkaline tank!

:lol::lol::lol:

How true..considering our tapwater is weakly acidic...adding top up water will end up dissolving all our coral sand? :lol: