how to tell the coral is dying?

Hi, My jewel coral did not open for 2 days but the one on top is opening but not so much. This happen after I apply NP Bio pellets 1 week ago and the nitrate level have went done.

My question is , how do we tell weather a coral has die, when it is totally retracted, as I do not want to affect my parameter

coraldie1.jpg

coraldie2.jpg

• SRC Member

totally retracted doesn't mean its dead.

imo it will take some time for it to really die off, especially for lps like your jewel. the flesh will slowly (normally) detach from the skeleton leaving behind the white skeleton where you can see the skeletal structure. if you see polyps its still alive (at least part of it) :thumbsup:

don't throw it away just because you can see the skeleton on what part cause the healthy portions may just heal back, though this would take sometime and tender care from you aswell. if you're uneasy about it contaminating your tank or anything you may want to run carbon, and maybe using a baster suck up the loose detached flesh if it happens

good luck! :)

• Senior Reefer

jewel coral = very difficult.

reduce nitrates is bad for them. they love nutrient rich water and thrive in heavy feeding, turbid zones.

that being said, they can live in clean water provided they are fed.

but jewels are just terribly difficult.

jewel coral = very difficult.

reduce nitrates is bad for them. they love nutrient rich water and thrive in heavy feeding, turbid zones.

that being said, they can live in clean water provided they are fed.

but jewels are just terribly difficult.

Thanks I will try my best. Btw what are coral frags ? R they expensive ? Where can I view acan? Wat is the price range?