Lots of bubbled like algae!

Should be Cyno photosynthesis... very hard to deal with... cause they come back quick once with lights.... try lower po4, coral snow on every morning, zeozym twice a week. and manually siphon every night.. should be able to see improvement in 2month....

If fish only tank just off the light for the moment.. or get some cleaning crew may help... try sea hare, hermit etc...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Should be Cyno photosynthesis... very hard to deal with... cause they come back quick once with lights.... try lower po4, coral snow on every morning, zeozym twice a week. and manually siphon every night.. should be able to see improvement in 2month....

If fish only tank just off the light for the moment.. or get some cleaning crew may help... try sea hare, hermit etc...

Looks like it... They looks like air bubble...

Actually I dunno about others but with my PO4 at zero I still get cyano unless it is leaching out from somewhere and being used up as it leach back so my reading is still zero...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

my friend went to scrub away the bubble and it just came back (it's like air in the bubble), dont think is the bubble algae as it's white and not whole green bubble

dun scrub.. they propagate fast..siphon out of the tank will remove the chances of spreading...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Looks like it... They looks like air bubble...

Actually I dunno about others but with my PO4 at zero I still get cyano unless it is leaching out from somewhere and being used up as it leach back so my reading is still zero...

Same as me :P I am using Salifert showing very low PO4 almost undetectable... But I feed a lots.. probably this could be the reason...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I used to have that too. But now they r all gone. :)

basically bubbles trapped in algae I think.

I scrape them n siphon them away. Off light for sometime. Now zero in my tank!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

this is an example of a very bad green bubble outbreak...

firstly, po4 test kit only can measure inorganic po4 level, but not organic po4 or nutrients....

a few factors to explain this outbreak -

1. protein skimmer not skimming effectively or no skimmer at all;

2. no regular water change;

3. feed too much;

4. biological system is not well established;

5. substrate is releasing nutrients.

my solution is to re-set-up the whole system...clean up the tank, remove the sand and wash at least 10xs and dry them....throw away the live rocks....remove all livestocks and transfer to iwarna to help you keep them for the time being...

l7304smr.jpg

Link to better understand Ventricaria ventricosa aka bubble algae. Don't ever burst scrape or damage the algae it will bloom in no time. Only solution is to get the effected rock out and do good husbandry.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

Link to better understand Ventricaria ventricosa aka bubble algae. Don't ever burst scrape or damage the algae it will bloom in no time. Only solution is to get the effected rock out and do good husbandry.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

That is not bubble algae... it is some kind of photosynthesis reaction from cyno-algae.. probably refer to below link: cheers :)

http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/reef-health/cyanobacteria-red-slime-algae/48.htm

BTW, Bro Ozinuka, this tank looks familiar.. is it yours? :)

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

this is worse than cyano-algae.

this is dinoflagellate.

i had this problem when i jsut started my tank.

do alot of water change, remove all silicates, PO4, NO3 and if FOWLR tank, just black out the whole tank for 3-4 days.

this is worse than cyano-algae.

this is dinoflagellate.

i had this problem when i jsut started my tank.

do alot of water change, remove all silicates, PO4, NO3 and if FOWLR tank, just black out the whole tank for 3-4 days.

Lemon, most likely not, I am amateur of this... dinoflagellate algae cell has a flagellum tail for propelling itself through water.. And the pics shown by Bro Onizuka is most likely Cyno... it could be the effect of long age cyno which the photosynthesis in round end form...

And for dinoflagellate algae, silicate is not one of its needs as is the case with diatoms. Unfortunately calcium carbonate is. Above statement extracted from "Marine Algae Control Secrets by Bob Goemans"

Do you have you algae outbreak pics to share? is it look like below?

post-9248-045110600 1290601012_thumb.jpg

Thanks... :cheers:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

Lemon, most likely not, I am amateur of this... dinoflagellate algae cell has a flagellum tail for propelling itself through water.. And the pics shown by Bro Onizuka is most likely Cyno... it could be the effect of long age cyno which the photosynthesis in round end form...

And for dinoflagellate algae, silicate is not one of its needs as is the case with diatoms. Unfortunately calcium carbonate is. Above statement extracted from "Marine Algae Control Secrets by Bob Goemans"

Do you have you algae outbreak pics to share? is it look like below?

post-9248-045110600 1290601012_thumb.jpg

Thanks... :cheers:

calcium carbonate??

i am unaware of that and have not heard calcium carbonate as being a requirement of dinoflagellate. first time hearing and am surprised.

dinoflagellates have to do with pH, that i know. silicates, nitrates etc are minor fuel but not major.

they are photosynthetic and my tank had the same thing as the one you posted.

photosynthetic cyano and dinoflagellate can look similar.

the flagellum on dinoflagellate cells are invisible to the naked eye unless viewed under the microscope.

whatever it is i hope onizuka solves this unsightly problem soon! algae problem just stink! hate them,

calcium carbonate??

i am unaware of that and have not heard calcium carbonate as being a requirement of dinoflagellate. first time hearing and am surprised.

dinoflagellates have to do with pH, that i know. silicates, nitrates etc are minor fuel but not major.

they are photosynthetic and my tank had the same thing as the one you posted.

photosynthetic cyano and dinoflagellate can look similar.

the flagellum on dinoflagellate cells are invisible to the naked eye unless viewed under the microscope.

whatever it is i hope onizuka solves this unsightly problem soon! algae problem just stink! hate them,

Yes, Some books also recommend recognize them via microscope.. :) Ya, hope to clear this bad algae is the main objective... :cheers:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

wow thanks to all bros who have posted and comment, learn few more things!

hehe, it's not my tank and it belongs to a friendly bro~ you are right CFOH, you should know whose de..

ok wil convey the message to him to try some of the advise above and keep you all posted (if he got time)

wow thanks to all bros who have posted and comment, learn few more things!

hehe, it's not my tank and it belongs to a friendly bro~ you are right CFOH, you should know whose de..

ok wil convey the message to him to try some of the advise above and keep you all posted (if he got time)

Cheers.. Yes agree is very nice bro... :friends:

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

that easy, add one hairy sea hare, within 2 days it's all gone.

does it mix well with other fishes?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Thank you very much to everyone for your inputs on this issue. Especially Oni whos very helpful brought this issues. Appreciated that bro:welldone:

Updates here, as what ducados mentioned, I followed and look like its work. Scraped them clean and shut off the light. Now about 3 weeks no more that green algae.

I believed Ah Siang is right. Some of the pointers surely bring that bad algae. Its character like cyno-bac.

It is indeed a good learning and sharing subject that will benifit all reefers here.

Another issue of this sea hare as I had tried once in my fragging tanks, they are best cleaning up crew but the risk is the chance of them relaxing in your wavemaker at one moment pump on ullalla... But I had no issue on them with fishes so far coz had only 2 fishes in there not in my main tank.

:ThanxSmiley:

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Actually I feel th algae is still ok.

As for bubbled algae,it's the combination of both.

So to get rid,might as well u prevent.

It can be done by simply put those micro socks on bubble occur place like skimmer output etc.

Another good way is to place filter wool before return pump so any bubbles will be trapped before suck by return pump into main tank!