In-tank DSB Chamber

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Need all your feedbacks about this idea which I have, to incorporate a DSB Chamber in my tank. Since I started out on the wrong footing, thus I have to explore all possibility to reduce Nitrate.

This is a glass chamber with over and underflow into the chamber. The top portion will have all the mechanical filter means and the lower 6" will be filled with #1 sand as DSB. The middle portion will basically be a holding area for water to be siphoned to the external canister.

Will this be a effective DSB for nitrate reduction.

PLease refer to this simple drawing.

Anyway feedback is highly appreciated.

Limpc

post-9-1041848284.jpg

• SRC Member

It will work but what's the area of the DSB? If your bioload is high, you will need a larger area.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

hi limpc,

Trying to battle your high nitrates huh? :)

If you find a way to improve the size (horizontal area), it will be more effective. But if you are limited, then it's better than nothing.

The only thing you can do to increase nitrification is to replace all the sand in your sandbed with much much finer sand (finer than #1) and have it up to 3" or 4".

• SRC Member

Best is no fish and all coral. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Hi,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

No fish, no coral .... hmmmmm ... what will life become :(

The area of DSB is only 9" x 6" and 6" deep. Cannot be too big, else my 4' tank will become only a small service apartment with no bathroom attached.

Let me put on my thinking cap again for another idea while doing my daily routine in the toilet and you guys comment, ok?

Limpc

• SRC Member
All coral, no fish, aquarium. :rolleyes:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Sigh .... no further idea today. Will try again tomorrow.

Limpc

You need to go to the toilet more or are you constipated?

Is there no way to incoporate a sump or refugium?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I have a crazy idea which I'm trying myself with some success. Since you've mentioned its the glass area, try lighting it with a 13 watt PC or something. I stuck a 13 watt PC (study Lamp) to my glass overflow with durso pipe. It is now overgrow with some sort of algae swamping with pods. The algae just grew from nowhere and aheres to all available surface area in the overflow compartment. I believe it will work as some form of nutrient export but its effects will be limited due to its size. Other benefits I can derive from it is a more stable pH as I keep it lit 24/7.

Cheers! :D

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Cedric,

How's the nitrate level ? Show me some pictures, can ?

Tanzy,

Constipated ? More like my brain cells constipate.

Since I'm using an existing furniture to hold my tank, there is not enough room to incorporate a sump/refugium. But I'm still exploring possibility of modifying this stand but there would be a massive change.

One question though. If a sump is inside a cabinet, would the evaporated water cause any damage to the wood ?

Limpc

Ps: Gotta go toilet now, see ya.

• SRC Member
One question though. If a sump is inside a cabinet, would the evaporated water cause any damage to the wood ?

Limpc

Good question there...

I saw whitish powder at the ceiling of my bottom cabinet where the sump is located.

Not sure what is that? It can't be salt.

Also saw condensation from the return pipes.

• SRC Member

Hi Limpc,

I cannot tell you how effective my idea is at removing nitrate coz I am running a aquamedic denitrator as well. My reason for doing that is more to stablize my pH swing than nutrient export. However, it is quite cool to see macro algae sprout from nowhere and grow on the glass and pvc pipes!

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

I have an acrylic cover over the sump to reduce salt spray. Don't see any problems with the wood or the veneer.

post-36-1093875548.jpg