CO2 Solenoid valve

Tanzy

• SRC Member

Found out the reason why my calcium reactor is not working, the solenoid valve is busted and the gas is not flowing properly. Need to know where to get a cheap and good AC Solenoid valve for the CO2 tank. Thanks.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

That was just the thread I was looking at after the search. I'll try Nature Aq. first.

Thanks.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Went to Nature Aq. today and bought the valve for $120. They said it was made in Italy but I found a golden sticker that says 'Made in Taiwan' on it. Anyway, there wasn't really much of a choice.

Bubble rate is constant again but not too happy with the pseudo-Italian valve cause it runs very hot. I mean hotter than my MH ballast! The previous valve was only mildly warm to the touch but it cost $250.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

For that price, I was definitely expecting Taiwan and didn't believe it's from Italy. It's half the price of a good european valve!

Normally it's hot, but rarely that hot.

6 months guarantee.

post-17-1041862983.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Don't know whether it will be out of topic.. but anyone has any comment of using the normal valve vs the AC solenoid valve? The feedback that i get is that as long as u are not using the PH controller to turn on/off your CR then it is ok to use the normal valve since most of us keep it on for 24/7. But what about during power outrage? Using normal valve, CO2 will still continue to flow but wonder whether it will have a chance to get into your tank? if yes, that will be bad.. oxygen is low and CO2 keep coming in? :unsure:

• SRC Member

The reason I prefer a solenoid is because of power failures or during tank maintenance, I won't need to manually shut off the valve and once it's off, when you switch it on, you will need to tune the flow again.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

If u use a pump to feed your reactor ur safe as if power trips ur pump shutoff the water flow into the reactor and out of the tank CO2 will only accumulate in the bubble counter and partly inot the reactor other than that nothing flows back into the tank. THe only way that it can flow back is that u have a long duration trip that takes several hours but then most of ur livestock are dead anyway if ur tank is heavily loaded due to lack of water movement......

For maintenance just shutoff ur feed pump through a valve or power . maintenance duration is short anyway 1/2 hour at most.

• SRC Member

Robe,

Good idea, but my reactor is siphon fed.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Most of the Taiwanese solenoid are very hot and not lasting. I have a planted tank as well and using solenoid to control CO2. Frankly, though it is cheap, it is not worth buying. Even Sam Yick owners, those guys that do the gigantic planted tank in the Pet Safari don't recommend Taiwanese solenoid though they are selling it.

Have been using Bioplast from Germany for the past 1.5 years and so far so good. Not too hot but lasting. Recently bought another one for my calcium reactor - cost S$80 for the solenoid. The regulator cost S$150. You can buy these from Systems Control opposite the white Sikh Temple in Serangoon.

Be careful of solenoid valves as the coil can get too hot and burn especially no name brands. GEt industrial 3/2 solenoid valves from pneumatic equipment supplier like Bay Pneumatics or others. Do a search in " www.thegreenbook.com.sg" this is the industrial suppliers equivalent of the yellow pages.

• SRC Member

Nature Aquarium sells solenoid regulators mostly from Taiwan (very few Italian models, unless you're paying double the price. I don't think they had stock of those for a long time cos the planted tank people who goes there buys his Taiwanese regulators)... but so far, the people who recommended me there says that their Taiwanese solenoids are branded and are far better than the other Taiwanese makes out in the market.

Tanzy, who told you made in Italy? The guy or the malaysian lady? Chan, the big guy who owns NA is an honest chap. He doesn't cheat or lie, not even to newbies. The Malaysian lady, however, just guesses whatever she doesn't know. :lol:

As for heat production... my solenoid is only midly warm and I can just touch it, even after hours of usage. I don't have an MH so I won't know what kind of HOT you're talking about. It might be worth giving Chan a call to check... Nature Aquarium: 62556051. Speak only to him. No one else.

A little too late. Tanzy's at the airport right at this moment and about to board his flight to UK.

He'll be back in 6 months time and I dun think Chan from NA will help him. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Don't know who Chan is but chanbi was over at my place and he said that my solenoid valve is running at 'normal' temperature. All I know is that the replacement is much hotter than the previous valve.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to speak to Chan next time.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Since my name is mentioned, must come out to say something?? :P Tanzy, the boss of NA aquarium has the same surname as me that is all. Back to this topic, when i went over to Tanzy's place last Fri night, i did touch the solenoid and i would say it is reasonable (Taiwanese standard). I have used one that is even hotter for at least more than a year while i am in FW planted tank (however it was not running 24/7). I have the same concern then. But if u think about it, the solenoid is basically a magnetic coil that act as a relay and if we continuously pump 230Vac to it, it is normal to be hot. But i guess those German brand should be more lasting and maybe better design that help to make it less hotter?

• SRC Member

I was actually holding on to a Dennerle Solenoid Valve before...

They work with so much less heat.... and was also very silent....

The Taiwan made ones are very hot and comes with a slight buzz sound when operated.....

think if those who are interested in good valves, check out Dennerle's range.... but think they recently jus marked there retail pricing.... :(

• SRC Member

How about AB solenoid valve? Are they good and cool to the touch?

Any idea how much this will cost?

Mmmm....all the above ended with ??? mark, this sentence will end with a full-stop...h.ah.a.h... :lol:

• SRC Member

Thats the one that I bought which had a buzzing sound....

Now thinking of just a regulator and a good needle valve and that's all...

Dun wanna lose sleep always thinking of the Solenoid exploding in my face esp since i'm planning to run it 24/7 for my Calcium reactor.

• SRC Member

No Sh*t. Will it explode?!

Was reading that one of the biggest problems of using calc reactors is the constant tuning and retuning of CO2 flow rate. Is it very difficult to keep the flow rate constant?

Came across this article which suggested the use of flow meter instead of needle valve.

article

• SRC Member

Yeah, I realised Tanzy was leaving only after posting... ;)

Anyhow, was just wondering... if you're running it 24/7, why would you need a solenoid? A normal needle valve and regulator would be sufficient. The solenoid's for people who want to turn the CO2 supply on and off eh?

A solenoid is useful to shut off CO2 flow to your reactor... and into your tank, should there be a power failure.

Without which... unless your calcium reactor allows bleedoff of CO2 or a shut-off mechanism... your tank's PH could drop a lot or your livestock would be dying from CO2 poisoning.