Lace coral (Distichopora violacea)

Fishyfish

Hi all,

As above, does anyone ever have any success with this NPS? These lace corals are periodically available e.g GO.

I got a very nice intensely violet piece from Coral Farm on Saturday. :yeah:

Because it's so beautiful, i would be a pity if it dies in the tank for lack of appropriate food.

The literature mentions potential succes in unskimmed, slightly higher nutrient systems, Jaubert or ATS systems.

It probably won't do too well in my SPS system.... :(

Am trying to feed reef pearls, reef nutrition stuff as well as DOM to see if it works.

Any input from any reefer with experience with this species will be much appreciated. :thanks:

Thanks!

• Senior Reefer

it will definitely not survive in your SPS tank. these corals can barely even survive even when given the approriate amount and type of food. they just demand too much feeding that you dont have the time to manually feed unless you go for continuous feed system.

this coral's track record is even worse than cauliflowers (dendronephthea sp.)

it will definitely not survive in your SPS tank. these corals can barely even survive even when given the approriate amount and type of food. they just demand too much feeding that you dont have the time to manually feed unless you go for continuous feed system.

this coral's track record is even worse than cauliflowers (dendronephthea sp.)

Thanks Bro,

Guess its days are numbered.... :cry2:

• Senior Reefer

Thanks Bro,

Guess its days are numbered.... :cry2:

you can try using phyto and other planktonic foods that are meant for these kinds of corals.

but even so, it will only be prolonging it's death.

if you want to try non photosynthetic corals, seafans are the easiest. they accept bigger food like cyclopeeze. followed by cauliflowers and finally these.

you can try using phyto and other planktonic foods that are meant for these kinds of corals.

but even so, it will only be prolonging it's death.

if you want to try non photosynthetic corals, seafans are the easiest. they accept bigger food like cyclopeeze. followed by cauliflowers and finally these.

Thanks bro,

My seafan is doing ok at the moment so I thought why not try these....hmmm which brand phyto do you recommend? Iwarna used to have those phyto in mineral water bottles, dunno still have? Or will zooplankton be better? Thanks!

Lace is just too difficult... I have asked on RC before getting.. But the feedback is not good... They have very very small polyps which is why they are difficult to feed with a appropiate sized food... But the good thing is that it will not lose its color even if it is dead.. LOL..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Lace is just too difficult... I have asked on RC before getting.. But the feedback is not good... They have very very small polyps which is why they are difficult to feed with a appropiate sized food... But the good thing is that it will not lose its color even if it is dead.. LOL..

That's right, but when dead, will be covered by algae, coralline, etc. :(

• Senior Reefer

here's some pictures of lace corals with their extremely minute transparent polyps in which they open up within their grooves.

they are almost always found hanging upside down under overhangs. so try to place them upside down in an area with very high flow.

post-15755-010667200 1286775892_thumb.jp

post-15755-070947900 1286775896_thumb.jp

here's some pictures of lace corals with their extremely minute transparent polyps in which they open up within their grooves.

they are almost always found hanging upside down under overhangs. so try to place them upside down in an area with very high flow.

Dunno what is the advantage of upside down for them? Epoxy or glue can't do that since they have a base rock. Will try to post a pic of the gorgeous colony I bought....nicer colour than any SPS I've seen.... Maybe I'll suspend it between 2 rocks upside down....

• Senior Reefer

no particular advantage or disadvantage. they are just found upside down in nature and i find they look nicer upside down. so up to you how you want to position them.

just like sun corals. they are always found upside down in the wild too.