quarantine tank

Hi all,

Any advice on how to build 1? i intend to use a 1 ft tank for quarantine tank. do we need to use any filter for the tank set up?

Currently i am running a skimmer on the tank without any filter with LCD light. no chiller and nothing else. any other advice bros n sis can give?

Thanks in advance.

• Senior Reefer

a simple glass or plastic tank will be sufficient.

a skimmer is optional. run filtration media such as hang on back filters or air stone sponge filters.

if your quarantine tank is for observation and conditioning, run it at normal strength sea water and some PVC pipes. if adding dwarf angels and/or butterflies, a few pieces of liverock is reccomended.

if your quarantine tank is for disease treatment, then a bare tank is best. no liverocks and no livesand.

if you intend to use copper, measure copper levels and it's safer to use chelated copper rather than ionic. if treating dwarf angels or butterflies, i don't reccomend copper but if you using, go for chelated ones.

if you are running hyposalinity, seawater should be around sg 1.011 to 1.014. keep it at this level for around 4 weeks and after that, slowly acclimate your fish back to normal seawater for about 1 week.

no mater what quarantine tank you are running, regular water changes is the most important to keep ammonia low. use aged seawater either from saltmix or from NSW. if running hypo, adjust the salinity.

best to do water changes once every 2 days or so and always check for ammonia.

a simple glass or plastic tank will be sufficient.

a skimmer is optional. run filtration media such as hang on back filters or air stone sponge filters.

if your quarantine tank is for observation and conditioning, run it at normal strength sea water and some PVC pipes. if adding dwarf angels and/or butterflies, a few pieces of liverock is reccomended.

if your quarantine tank is for disease treatment, then a bare tank is best. no liverocks and no livesand.

if you intend to use copper, measure copper levels and it's safer to use chelated copper rather than ionic. if treating dwarf angels or butterflies, i don't reccomend copper but if you using, go for chelated ones.

if you are running hyposalinity, seawater should be around sg 1.011 to 1.014. keep it at this level for around 4 weeks and after that, slowly acclimate your fish back to normal seawater for about 1 week.

no mater what quarantine tank you are running, regular water changes is the most important to keep ammonia low. use aged seawater either from saltmix or from NSW. if running hypo, adjust the salinity.

best to do water changes once every 2 days or so and always check for ammonia.

thanks a lot for the info bro! I intend to quarantine all my new buy fishes at least until they feed and play safe also in case of ich prob... so its mean that i can run it at normal salinity with a hang on filter only is it? Mostly will add in tangs and Clown fish..as i dont really Angel fish fans except for flame angel.. lol

If you are QT-ing Tangs and Big Angels, I recommend you go for a bigger container or tank, to prevent any ammonia spike...

No big Angels for me. i think will oni get flame angel.

For Tangs, i will only get a 3" size the most. and will quarantine 1 each time. so do i still need to get a bigger tank? =( as i oni have 1ft tank now... my GF will not allow me to put in another 2ft tank... she will nag till i give up. haha

i build this quarantine tank more for clown fish. as i scare they will not feed if i straight put them into my main tank.and of course to control disease from new fishes from lfs

Thanks a lot for the advices!

• Senior Reefer

a quarantine tank running on normal seawater will not cure the disease.

but it will give you chance to feed the fish, get them accustomed, and notice for any disease outbreak.

once the fish in your qt have disease, you can then go for treatment.

either run copper or hyposalinity. (for white spots)

run copper (for velvet)

use formalin (for brooklynella)

a quarantine tank running on normal seawater will not cure the disease.

but it will give you chance to feed the fish, get them accustomed, and notice for any disease outbreak.

once the fish in your qt have disease, you can then go for treatment.

either run copper or hyposalinity. (for white spots)

run copper (for velvet)

use formalin (for brooklynella)

yup will do so.. thanks hope they dont carry any disease...hehe