Anyone use tap water with anti-chlorine

Hi there Reefers,

I'm thinking of starting a simple setup at home, maybe a 2-3footer, but I've got a question. Can I use tap water and add those "water conditioners"? I also read somewhere that anti-chlorine crystals(sodium thiosulfate I believe) are available. I know that sounds like a really dumb question but I noticed from reading through the threads here that most of you use NSW, RO/DI resin filter setups and even one guy who used like 50 bottles of POLAR distilled water and mixed the salt in tank! For one reason or another, I am not too keen on these options. I can think of the pros but what are the cons of using tap water?

Btw, I used to keep a small 2ft setup before. It started out as freshwater back in June 2003, then about half a year later, decided to go FOWLR. Slowly progressed to some anemones for the clowns, mushrooms and gave it all up Dec 2004 cos I got posted overseas for work. All the while, I had used tap water with the anti chlorine additives. Had an overhead filter, canister filter and a very basic counterflow air driven skimmer.

So I'm really itching to start again, but taking the time to get back to basics. I would really appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

It is fine to use that but you will be introducing small amount PO4 and NO3 if not wrong into your tank which can lead to algae bloom... But I have been using tap water for my salt mix and top up, can notice some algae bloom but still negligible...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

i got a reef nano tank using tap water filled with seachem prime.. corals are growing, however will notice algae on the wall of the tank.

HTH

OK thanx alot, so you just follow the dosing instructions on the bottle?

It is fine to use that but you will be introducing small amount PO4 and NO3 if not wrong into your tank which can lead to algae bloom... But I have been using tap water for my salt mix and top up, can notice some algae bloom but still negligible...

With any additive or just straight from the tap?

dun forget silicates, SiO3

oh ok, thanx.

• SRC Member

I also using tap water since my tank set up. Other than algae n if algae isn't any issue to u then ok lo.

Coz my fishes till now so far so good. Becoming fatter n fatter

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!