Tank Without Chiller

successnowhere

What's the temperature for a FOWLR tank ? I have a 30"x20"x20" tank with LED lighting, if I don't intend to install a chiller, and only with live rocks and blue tank, can someone pls advice me what's the ideal temperature of this tank?

Thanks in advance

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

Don't know how true, but I'm told that if you keep FOWLR without chiller, long term the fishes will lose colouration and look dull.

Possible but not true. In FOWLR tank water condition is not as good as in reef tank and overtime the nitrate level can be rather high. It's this drop in water condition and lack of a natural environment (the corals and the vibrant reefscape) that cause the fishes to look a bit dull. Temp play a minor part in that high temp stresses the fish and may cause colour loss.

• Senior Reefer

depends more on what livestock...

shallow water fishes coming from hawaii where the water is cooler can adapt to higher temperatures. like yellow tangs. even water cooler there, they can adapt to 29-30C no problem.

it's not the location. it's the type of fish

deeper water fishes cannot tolerate warm water.

such as bandit angels. put them in a tank without chiller and you can kiss your bandit goodbye.

depends more on what livestock...

shallow water fishes coming from hawaii where the water is cooler can adapt to higher temperatures. like yellow tangs. even water cooler there, they can adapt to 29-30C no problem.

it's not the location. it's the type of fish

deeper water fishes cannot tolerate warm water.

such as bandit angels. put them in a tank without chiller and you can kiss your bandit goodbye.

Bro, not true that a chiller is a must for Bandit angels because I had a friend who doesn't have a chiller and managed to keep the 2 bandits for more than 7 months. If not for the freak accident when he was away, I believe the angels will definitely be alive today.

• Senior Reefer

Bro, not true that a chiller is a must for Bandit angels because I had a friend who doesn't have a chiller and managed to keep the 2 bandits for more than 7 months. If not for the freak accident when he was away, I believe the angels will definitely be alive today.

of course you don't need a chiller but as long as you can keep the temperature low enough for them why not?

28C i believe is still tolerable for bandits.

but if no chiller and also no means of reducing temperature and your temp rises to 29 or >30C, then i'm sure your deepwater fishes like bandits will not be able to make it.

what temp is your friend keeping his bandits at?

• Senior Reefer

depends on what fish again...

most tropical and hardy fish can tahan those kinds of temperature.

but then again, very little people keeping deepwater or cooler water fishes like certain angels, butterflies and anthias.. so i guess this does not speak to the majority.

Don't know how true, but I'm told that if you keep FOWLR without chiller, long term the fishes will lose colouration and look dull.

Possible.. depends the fish origin as well.. especially fishes like Red Sea purple Tang will definitely lose color in warm tank condition... One of my friend switched between Chiller and non Chiller condition a few time for his tank... and observed the color faded and regain between this move...

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore