weileong's 4ft tank

weileong

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally, i would buy sumthing based on compressor sizing and i think almost all will sell based on the sizing of the compressor instead of cooling capacity? like logically 1.25hp will mean a compressor of 1.25hp. Cooling capacity will be much more that the compressor size i think..

Its like the new chiller i am using, only 1/2hp but beats the crap out of the older 1.25hp. Doesnt sound logical rite? Dat is what happens when manufacturers mix the terms up just to get an advantage over the competitors...

However when someone challenged him, he can still deny that it is not 1/3hp !!!

See this thread under the "hot spell offer"

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...ic=14429&st=0

• SRC Member

hi bros :D

had been following the later part of the threads on the chiller

discussion ... so is there any conclusion yet????

What should we look out for when shopping for a chiller ...

putting the tank env, bio load, lighting etc aside ...

As weileong had used a very good analogy (using the car example).

So to map the 'car' part to the chiller ...

can some one help to map it out ... for others like me to understand

better ... or maybe another example :yeah:

zephyros

So to map the 'car' part to the chiller ...

can some one help to map it out ... for others like me to understand

better ... or maybe another example :yeah:

ok...one reason why weileong's 1/2 hp artica can outperform the over 1hp TR is because..

his artica is like a 1.6litre civic SIR on the fastest lane (lane1) of TPE,

whereas his previous over 1hp TR is like the sand carrying truck on lane3 of TPE, powerful yes....huge engine, huge horsepower

but the SIR zoom far far away in no time liao :lol:

• SRC Member
then that is his problem to go screw his manufacturer, we cannot be screwed by their mistake right?

Although I know what all these discussion is about without all the

names .... but is there any firm stand by our moderator bodies to

confirm the facts ... like pinning up a post on the first page of the

forum :angry: ... man, i'm not trying to get anyone into trouble,

but if it is fact and true, dun the forum at least ban the sponsor

site or something like that to make its stand ... ????

juz my two cents

zephyros

zephyros,

They are not totally wrong in the way they rate their chiller. At least technically but that is rather unethical as they should have stated that the rating is cooling power and at the same time state the rating of the compressor. This will confused many buyers and all of we are lead to believe that what we get based on the rating is the true horsepower rating of the compressor.

See how the artica rates the chiller as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Compressor 1/2hp.

cooling power 1170 Watts. (abt 1.56hp)

Then this is very clear. I know I am paying the price for a chiller with 1/2hp compressor.

Didn't you read once in a while other bro saying "Make sure what you get is what you paid for", now that is what they meant :P

• SRC Member
Didn't you read once in a while other bro saying "Make sure what you get is what you paid for", now that is what they meant 

I agreed, but sometimes .. or too many times ... the first time we

purchase something, we either base on recommendations .. or base

on a well know benchmark ... such as the hp of a chiller ... the bigger

the hp the better chilling power etc ... I would not know that I need

to look for things like efficiency ... :huh:

zephyros

I would not know that I need

to look for things like efficiency ... :huh:

one word.

efficiency. this need to be proven and not just from the word of the manufacturer.

The smaller the hp the better and of course the faster it can drop your tank temp the better.

Best is to have someone already using the chiller on this tank then you go his setup and personally see the temp dropping. Else if hear say then don't believe it :P

Don't believe me when I tell you abt 2 deg drop/hr. You can come my house stay for one hr and see the temp drop :P Words like oh... my whatever chiller can cool my 4ft, 5ft, 6ft with whatever megawatts of MH and pumps running.

Yes can cool but run how long? Run non-stop also considered can cool? What is the defination? Or run all the time until lights off then stop running also considered can cool???

• SRC Member
You can come my house stay for one hr and see the temp drop :P Words like oh... my whatever chiller can cool my 4ft, 5ft, 6ft with whatever megawatts of MH and pumps running.

Is coffee and tea served together with some snacks. If yes, i would love to pop by :P:lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

like tat eh...think i will stick to fizzy drinks and pastries. :lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member
actually how about such chillers ah...

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/

The Cyclone ® Water Chiller with Drop-In Titanium Coil

• 5 ft. Flexible Refrigeration Line

• No Plumbing Required

• Remote Helix Titanium Coil

• Fresh or Saltwater Use

• Quiet Operation

• Black ABS Cover

• Ozone Friendly Refrigerant (134A)

• Requires Temperature Controller

• For Commercial or Home Aquarium

• Ideal for Aquaculture or Hydroponics

best part is that there is no plumbing needed...just dip the titanium coil in direct cooling with the water....will it cool faster due to the direct contact?

The chiller looks good. Saw one at Octopsy bay, but the hose is very thick and in-flexible. It will be very unsightly and a big job to run such hose to the outdoor.

• SRC Member
Good good. Looks good to me. Seems like there are chillers out there which perform a lot better than the *.***p **. ;)

Nothing we dislike more than people who don't deliver what they promise or give substandard stuff. But they shall sow what they reap. The truth is out there. :fear:

Nothing can be further than the truth. That's why this SRC is so useful.....for us to share our knowledge so prevent more people from getting con.

• SRC Member
For me personally, i would buy sumthing based on compressor sizing and i think almost all will sell based on the sizing of the compressor instead of cooling capacity? like logically 1.25hp will mean a compressor of 1.25hp. Cooling capacity will be much more that the compressor size i think..

Its like the new chiller i am using, only 1/2hp but beats the crap out of the older 1.25hp. Doesnt sound logical rite? Dat is what happens when manufacturers mix the terms up just to get an advantage over the competitors...

I agree. This is like the engine of the car right? If you only have a 1.6L Toyota engine and fit it with a 3.0L radiator, can the car run like a 3.0L Lexus?

In any case, I would love to hear the manufacturer side of the story as well.