weileong's 4ft tank

weileong

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard that it's not safe with exposed Titanium coil....... :blink:

but then even with conventional in line chillers, you pump the water into internal titanium coils for cooling also, am i wrong? hehe

can explain why not safe from what you heard?

so instead of pushing water into the chiller and flowing pass the coil,

this chiller put the whole coil in the tank....

hmmm...i often see this kind of direct coil cooling method in seafood tanks...

but of coz dip in our main tanks will be ugly...

but...dip into the sump will be hidden

any input bro weileong? :)

ah...tat's a good point to consider bro...

at least it is a logical viewpoint :lol:

but according to eaquarist thread, this chiller been around more than 10years...easily so because of such direct coil method have probably been cooling our seafood tanks for longer than that...

but in terms of cooling performance, i really wonder if such direct coil can cool faster due to this method...and u save another cost of running the feed pump which in terms add to the heat also

maybe we should just stop eating live seafood from restaurants that you can see a visible coil in their tanks :P

Danfoss F series Universal compressor

Now the compressor used of "0.5hp" reef relief chiller

Danfoss FR11G compressor specs.

The manufacturer of the reef relief actually spray out the model on the compressor. For whatever purpose I am not sure :P

However you cannot escape the true rating of the compressor and it can be measured easily with a clamp on amp meter with the power factor taken into consideration since it's an AC motor.

i have even seen such coils covered with a layer of FROST in the tank...imagine the temperature pull-down? :blink:

There's a layer of freeze because the water current in the tank is too low already.

Once it freezed then the cooling power will drop because ice is a good insulator :P

There's a layer of freeze because the water current in the tank is too low already.

Once it freezed then the cooling power will drop because ice is a good insulator :P

yeah hor..

maybe we should ask them to use tunzes to improve flow to remove the frost. :lol: .and we get to eat healthier steamed fishes :yeah:

seriously i seen such seafood tanks with small compressor units that maintain at 22-23 deg with no strain....maybe they every week call repairman for servicing...that i dunno...hehe

but then again..some of those seafood tanks already very high flow..can see the flow of water churning particles around in the tank...

but that means as long as we get good flow in our tanks....such coils really do have such cooling ability ah...wah...

Those seafood restaurants have some chillers that have super cooling efficiency.They are designed in such a way it will be cold to the extend that water will drip.Not everyone can afford a chiller that drips water at home right??

ah.....commercial really commercial...

so we just have to make a drainpipe to our drainholes...

pretty messy i guess...

but for bros setting up new tanks, perhaps can consider this direct dip-in path...

ok...meanwhile, artica rules in this thread :lol:

Weileong, read until I blur already, catch no ball. Can translate in layman terms?

Mai blurr mai blurr.

I am not technical man for airconditioning but I still can see the specs easily.

compressor 275W = around 1/3hp.

cut-in current 10amps.

So everytime compressor cut-in it draw high power :P

Those seafood restaurants have some chillers that have super cooling efficiency.They are designed in such a way it will be cold to the extend that water will drip.Not everyone can afford a chiller that drips water at home right??

Chiller condensation and drip good! Then you can have free water "RO" water :P

• SRC Member
never mind lah bro weileong, dun dwell on the previous chiller liao lah...wait more people out there end up sad...hehe

the anthartica days are now here..right in your tank cooling your precious :)

Well infact when I got my tank, I know of the problem about the chiller...

but too bad I know it too late I already got it..

nvm I will use it till end of this yr and try to see if can sell it....

no matter how will have it replace end of this yr...

• SRC Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the dip in chiller, if the dip is placed in the sump and your return pump fails, there will be almost no circulation in the sump, only for the skimmer (unless u have other equipment in there). I think that there being no circulation in the sump would cause major frosting on the dip. This could then be a potential problem. Also depends on where the temperature probe is placed.