To those "reef crammed with SPS" keepers...

• SRC Member

I experience this STN thingy a few times on the same acro and deduce that it may be both light and current. The white part is always on the side away from both current and light. I turn the acro around and the white part recovers within 2-3 weeks. However, the healthy part that went over to the 'dark' side started STN after a month. Tried this a few times and it seems the case. The colony remains healthy for more than 8 months already.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Supporter
I thought healthy tissue can re-colonise the parts that's gone STN?

Yup, tissue do re-colonise over the dead areas... but 2-3 weeks might be a little too short period for that to happen...... ;)

• SRC Member
Morgan Posted on Dec 30 2003, 07:53 PM

What Joe point is correct......IME once the tissue has die off it take quiet a while before it grow back...if the damage area is big, it may never grow back 

Especially when green algae and coraline algae start going on the dead tissues portion..The acro never seems to encrust over it..

Could'nt agree more..my tricolor got one portion that time killed off by softies mucus..now it seems to have trouble growing back on the dead portion becoz of a thin film or diatoms that keep growing on that area..and i tried brushing it off with a toothbrush...but not good..sometime accidentally scrape off surrounding tissue too..so now I just leave it alone and fan it with my hands every few hours to keep the diatoms off.. <_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/