To those "reef crammed with SPS" keepers...

• SRC Supporter

Hi Reefers,

Jus placed/fragged half of my reef's SPS colonies and placed them into a holding reef as my reef migrating process....

Noticed a few of my colonies havinf much of their bottoms with tissue recession.... not RTN...

Much areas have turned white..... leaving only their CACO3 skeletons in view .....

think we did cover a discussion on this before before a major crash had such info removed....

So anyone out there to help with this problem???

esp those with reefs crammed with such.... :(

Hi Reefers,

Jus placed/fragged half of my reef's SPS colonies and placed them into a holding reef as my reef migrating process....

Noticed a few of my colonies havinf much of their bottoms with tissue recession.... not RTN...

Much areas have turned white..... leaving only their CACO3 skeletons in view .....

think we did cover a discussion on this before before a major crash had such info removed....

So anyone out there to help with this problem???

esp those with reefs crammed with such.... :(

Yup from my rock scape in my pic, you can see that my coral are pretty cram and close to toher another. Thus a 1 or 2 colonies had they bottom turn white as joe say, no receding but just white.

Might be due to diversion of energy resources from the lower areas that receive less light to the tips whereby growth would be concentrated on?

Not so sure myself...just a guess.. :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

same sentiments as fuel..I think the base of the colonies are not getting enuff light??? My green humilis is also showing signs of the base tissue receding. About 5% or less at the base experiencing that. The rest of the colony is doing very well though.

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Supporter
Think it has to do with water quality.......if you put alot of newly made frags together...there are bound to have die off of tissue or alot of slime produced, this will degrade the water if your fitration system can't handle.

I reckon that it had more to do with light source not being able to reach those areas.... they seem to happen with colonies only esp those that come large..... colonies affected recover pretty quickly from these after fragging....

was wondering if current flow might be the issue as mentioned by reefer guy....

and would aminio acids help???

I'm now into dosing Iodine....

Hmm..hope you got test kit for iodide..Cause those brands that come very concentrated very easy to overdose...I have one seachem one..so concentrated that after 2 years i haven use finish..dun dare dose too much..no test kit somemore... :unsure:

• Sponsor

I reckon that it had more to do with light source not being able to reach those areas.... they seem to happen with colonies only esp those that come large..... colonies affected recover pretty quickly from these after fragging....

was wondering if current flow might be the issue as mentioned by reefer guy....

and would aminio acids help???

I'm now into dosing Iodine....

I moved my colony to better light and water flow. white color of base significantly reduced. Mebbe you can try. :lol:

Good to have high DKH, ur acros will shine like christmas trees, i.e., bright colours....

But, if u read the RC postings, high DKH will cause higher chances of RTN. ... try it before previously when I overdose .... u will cause a chemical inbalance to the SW too.

• SRC Supporter
Good to have high DKH, ur acros will shine like christmas trees, i.e., bright colours....

But, if u read the RC postings, high DKH will cause higher chances of RTN. ... try it before previously when I overdose .... u will cause a chemical inbalance to the SW too.

Ckpeh,

you might like to link us to some of those threads for information ...

thanks

I will try to find these postings.

Another slow tissue recession (STN) posting RC has identified temperature as a key issue. The RC reefer's acros will afected by the summer heat in the US.

He had stopped the acros from further STN by getting a chiller (in parts of US, the reefers dont even use chillers, they have heaters).

• SRC Member
I will try to find these postings.

Another slow tissue recession (STN) posting RC has identified temperature as a key issue. The RC reefer's acros will afected by the summer heat in the US.

He had stopped the acros from further STN by getting a chiller (in parts of US, the reefers dont even use chillers, they have heaters).

I believe STN is due to:

1. Lack of Food for newly imported wild colonies , by the way in the wild, we have 150,000lux or more of light = 1000W MH @ 6~8hrs per day and 50,000lux or more the next 4 hrs. Zooplankton? This will be a advantage if proper acclimatise is done. Acros become more colorful.

Infact alot of the *%*%* or W)(&()* Acros has been harvest and put under Radiums before shipping to LFS. Well they have better water, since these next to the sea facilities is feed with NSW water input flowing thru and with 400W, 1000W & 2000W Radium, these Acros color up. That's also why, you will never ever color up some Acros as they are been seem in LFS in the first few days of shipment and suddenly done brown.

Well built yourself a seaside house at Fiji or PNG, have a Iwaki pump NSW up to your tank and overflow back to the sea = 400W Radium and you will see how your Acros color up!.

2. water flow - bring vitamins & food

3. Temperature - kill bacteria with low temp

4. changes in water parameters. In a captive system, our parameters changes frequently. Did you measure your tank parameters daily or weekly, you be surprise.

5. high DKH below 16dkh and above 9dkh, combine with low temp. of 25 or 24 degree will kill the bacteria that cause RTN to a certain extend and thus slow down the RTN to a STN. Most German colorfu SPS reefs are maintain at 7~9dkh. The german do not believe high dkh will brighten up the Acros, but will convert RTN to STN, so what's the point, the Acro will not last 6 mths anyway. German believes in low nutrient, controlled vitamins & feedings with Amino Acids to bring out the colors.

All these are from emails communication with a famous fellow german reefers - Sorry cannot disclose whi he is, but I believe some of you might have seen his tank as the german forum. I do believe in what he stated, as I did come across these Suppliers buying 400W, 1000W and 2000W Radium in bulk......so what you think they used 2000W Radium in a rmote island for???

;)

Max

Receding tissue on the underside of acros is a common thing in a captive reef.

As some of you have correctly pointed out... there are some things that are extremely hard to replicate of the sea.

Unless you can supply enough light on the underside of the acros and have enough food for them while maintaining pristine water conditions... well... it will be a very hard task.

Receding tissue on the underside of acros is a common thing in a captive reef.

Mine only happen when the water condition deteriorate.......

If all the parameters are good, provide good circulation and this will not happen.

The lighting under my green colony is not good but it is starting to encrust onto the LR that it is sitting on.

• SRC Member

But your corals do get a lot of light from the sun which is greater in intensity than a lot of MH. Some light is going to be reflected off the glass or botton even though it is not apparent to the eye.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Supporter
...............Morgan...you had a hole chiselled out of your ceiling!? :blink::bow:

Nah... where he come from... theres always a hole....

no need to chisel.... in fact a very large hole at that.... :P

Nah... where he come from... theres always a hole....

no need to chisel.... in fact a very large hole at that.... :P

I meant a hole in the ceiling..No idea what hole Joe is talking about though..... :rolleyes: