Aloysius's Humble Nano Reef Tank

AloysiusMun

• SRC Member

Finally I see some fruits of my labour after 3 months of planning; had to do a lot of reading up as well as to meet my tank maker (Vincent from Aquarium Artiste) multiple times to set up the tank.

Before setting up the Main tank, I had already set up a holding tank for myOnyx clowns from Coral farm. I couldn't stop myself from buying them as they were just calling out to me!biggrin.gif

The tank runs on a natural filtration of Live Rock (approx 8kg), LiveSand (1 Bag) as well as 1Kg of Biohome Plus in the Sump. Bacteria from Henry@Marine Life is being used for kick starting the Nitrogencycle.

There is no Skimmer used, I intend to use my Refugium to do nutrient export. Rowaphos is also used to reduce phosphates simultaneously.There is also a weekly change of 15% Saltwater mix.

A Hailea 1/10HP chiller is used to maintain the water temperature at 26degree celsius. LED lighting is used. A modified Maxspect 110W, 5 White LED changed toViolet LED.

Food feed includes:

NewLife Spectrum Small Fish formula

Henry'sReef Gourmet

ReefNutrition Live Phytoplankton

ReefNutrition Tigger Pods (whole bottle in Refugium)

Photo of Main Tank with Blue and White channels on:

YK2O9926.jpg

Photo of Main Tank with White Channel ONLY:

YK2O9929.jpg

Close-upshot of the Scaping:

YK2O9920.jpg

CurrentLivestock list:

2xOnyx Clownfish (in Temp Tank)

1xVanuatu Flasher Wrasse

1xGreen Christmas Wrasse

1xBanded Starfish 1xSand Dollar

Intend to get: 2xPeppermint shrimp (aiptasia control, irritated with a few persistent ones)

2xMandarin fish (feeding pair from Henry@ML)

Some pics of my clownfish in the Temp Tank:

YK2O9680.jpg

YK2O9678.jpg

Picture of my Christmas Wrasse and Vanuatu Flasher Wrasse:

YK2O9860.jpg

Con't

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

CoralsUnder White and Blue Channel:

YK2O9960.jpg

YK2O9956.jpg

YK2O9958.jpg

YK2O9955.jpg

MyFavourite Yuma coloring up slowly, developing green and pink stripes!laugh.gif

YK2O9953.jpg

Somecorals under Actinic lighting:

YK2O9947.jpg

YK2O9942.jpg

YK2O9941.jpg

There are still 2 more yumas in recovery as I split them and A Ricordea florida I did not picture as its still acclimatizing! tongue.gif

Hehe!

• SRC Member

Thanks Lemon!

Do you think you can ID this for me? I found this little dude in the Refug. 10cent diameter. Wondering if its safe to put it in my Main tank. Hmm...

id_please.jpg

its a Brittle Star

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• Senior Reefer

Guys, any idea how to reverse the sleep cycle for a Christmas wrasse? He's active time in the open is 8am-1pm how do you change it to 6pm-12midnight? :)

yes very easy to do.

during the time you want it to sleep, it has to be pitch dark. cover your tank with a black cloth to simulate night time. when u want it to awake, remove the cloth when your lights are on.

alot of sand digging wrasses follow their natural body clock as in the wild. what ever time they awake and sleep corresponds to the day time in the wild.

they will follow your aquarium light timing by themselves but it will take awhile for them to do so. to speed up, you can use my method above.

have done this for Macropharyngodon choati. the choat's leopard wrasse from Auastralia. Rare and extremely difficult species, and even harder to correspond to Singapore timing due to the time zone difference in Australia :P

• Senior Reefer

Sometimes I wonder what have you not tried or know about Marine stuff. laugh.gif

Do I have to keep repeating the process over a week or in within a few days they would adapt to this?

just keep doing for about a week and it should work.

make sure u cover with a cloth so that it mimics night time.

• SRC Member

just keep doing for about a week and it should work.

make sure u cover with a cloth so that it mimics night time.

Alright will do that. :)

Currently I'm very worried about my Mandarin pair from Henry. I saw them feed for myself in him tank on Henry's RG. However, in my tank they just refuse to eat RG. Its been one day already and I can see that the male stomach is sunken in. The female got smart and managed to get into my refugium. Must have ate quite a lot of my Tigger pods from Reef Nutrition. The loophole has since been resolved.

Wondering if the Mandarins will start feeding again soon. sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Look like sea monkey one. Bought from Reborn.

Thinking of adding nutrition by adding Selcon to it. Currently I mix live phytoplankton with it.

What's the best thing to feed my mandarins with?

That is live brine shrimp...

It is possible to enrich the brine shrimp if you are soaking the brine shrimp in selcon... But why do you want to mix live phyto in it?

You can continue to feed brine shrimp since it is feeding on it and it will not starve... But meanwhile feed frozen mysis to get them wean on it is better..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp