Qurantining a fish bought from LFS

• SRC Member

You are welcoem.. i also planning to upgrade my tank...

but not free n no cash now...

maybe after i finsih my O lvl nx yrs.. i will be upgrading.. but need to see the price now... n save $$$ for chiller n of course t5...

must prepare about 1.5k at least... of course no including coral n live rock...

• SRC Member

i was intro a medi to kill off any parasit... by sealif_ boss or dunno who

it a blue medi what he told me is to add in this blue medi before adding any fish....

this will help to keep the fish clean... dunno izzit true...

that what i did today before i get my powder blue... this fish is a hyper active swimmer...

swim around n round my tank... poking algae on the rock... n doing something that i suspect of... rubbing his body against the live rock...

dunno what this mean.. ich ???

bt after i come back from work.. this powder blue is ok.. no ich develop.. need to monitor nx day.. see what is going on...

i tried feed brine shrimp and he eat abit... after i soaked with kent garlic guard...

dunno will it next day ?

this is what I do. don't know about the rest though.

I will let the bag float in the tank or wherever that it doesn't float away or around. let the water inside the bag get accustomed to the water temperature

fifteen minutes later, I will cut open the bag and roll the bag down. this will oxygenate the water. but there are debates regarding this procedure. debates which I will not dwell into.

ten minutes later I will empty out half the water from the bag.

and now, every ten minutes, I will use a syringe *I use a 12ml one* and use it to put water into the bag. I think 12ml might be too much but I've used it to good effect so far.

repeat slowly for one hour. Henry recommends two hours for his inverts. :P

once bag has reached double its volume, take net/container/whatever, scoop fish out and let it go into the tank.

• SRC Member

actually i believe in something...

marine fish wont grow up so much in a yrs...

like some of the information provided also nt really accurate...

some fish can grow up ot 15inch.. that only happened in nature...

overall.. marine fish is from nature.. not man breed

those huge naso also caught from nature... the most let u keep the fish for yrs... n wont grow up so much...

urh. the debate is whether opening the back will increase the levels of ammonia. something about how it is expose to atmospheric air, thereby the pH of the water increases or some shit like that. and the ammonia becomes dangerously toxic.

dunno lah. me no chemistry expert. although I'm suppose to be. school holidays. engine not running. :P

• SRC Member

my PH always maintance at 8

always 8 no 8.3 ...

nitrite 0

ammonia 0

remember afew week back my ammonia rises to 15mg

make my tank cloudy... damn cloudy...

that happened when 1 of the plate coral my aunt gave to me.. its dead...

aftere removing it.. n pour in cycle thing solve within 1 - 2 days...

ammonia back to 0

haha... thankz for all the info... but ar... you cut the bag den roll in down, wun the fishie swim out of the bag? den ar... ask you all ar...noe you guys were saying soaking food in garlic juice in one of the threads rite... can use the one they selling in some or rather almoz all LFS rite? the bottled ones...

• SRC Member

i got 2 bottle of garlic guard..

1 is kent garlic xtreme..

1 is seachem

which 1 smell nice? of course is kent garlic...

seachem 1 i cant take it sia...

yah most of the LFS got sell it... try to get seachem or kent...

but it also depend on the fish will eat it anot... if they dont eat tat the end...

sometime it depend on luck too...

• SRC Member

MH is gd.. for me i use t5

cause the problem is bill too high... + u need a chiller to cool it down

if MH plus chiller it will add about 40-60 on ur electri bill

10hr lighting per days..

t5 wont increase so much if i am not wrong it is electri saving..

that what i plan.. to get 3 tube t5 lighting after my upgrade...chiller most properly wont get it.. cause t5 wont increase ur heat...

that a bro here using t5 to keep SPS and so far so gd for him...

Before this thread gets out of topic... <_<

mingwen1611, sjsheng : :off:

Quarantining fish is different from acclimatizing your fish.

If your intention is to prevent ich from spreading into your main tank (if it is truly free of ich)... an isolation tank with its own filtration system will be ideal. You can Q your fish and use it as a hyposalinity treatment tank... so that any parasites on the fish will be killed and will not use the fish as a host to spread in your main tank. For any other forms of medication, a tank without filtration would be suitable but you have to monitor for ammonia, no2 even more closely.

Acclimatizing your fish is very important IMO.

Give you an idea. I recently tested the bag water from the farm... parameters are as follows: salinity: 1.017. PH: 7.5

My tank parameters: salinity: 1.025. PH: 8.5

Barring other parameters like temperature etc.... if I failed to acclimatize my fish and dump the fish into my tank.. my new Achilles Tang may have been shocked and stressed by the sudden change in water and may possibly die from it. Some very sensitive fishes or inverts need a longer acclimatization process.

I took more than half an hour to slowly drip water from my tank into the bag until it was totally replaced. Now my new AT is swimming in its own tank until it is recovered from shipping stress and damage and started eating first before I introduced it into my main tank in a few days/weeks time.

Patience is important in this hobby! :)

(DO NOT POUR THE BAG WATER INTO YOUR TANK! Reasons: potential contamination by parasites and chemicals/medication).

• SRC Member
I haven't had an AT for a year and a half!

It's my final big fish... waited for a very long time for a show-grade specimen... finally got one from Coral Farm!

i thought i saw 1 of ur posted pic a AT in ur tank... or passed away lieo... anyway gd luck to u...

wat is the price for AT huh.. hear from my uncle its about $70+

if you don't want to quarantine your fish, the least you should do is acclimatise them to your water first. I don't know if bwilly did that. I did that for my firefishes I bought today. (=

of course I do.. I let the bag float ard to get the temperature right. add some tank water slowly into the bag, whole process abt 30mins or so. then drop the bugger into the "jail". haha..!