Another newbie fish question (Tangs)

Hi again,

I did my reasearch on Tangs, and it stated as long as they are all introduced at around the same time (new tank) there will be less problems. I realize that there are a lot of risks, but since it's a 2.5'x 5' tank decided to take them.

So far I have...

- 1x Purple tang

- 1x Yellow tang

- 1x Kole tang

- 2x Sailfin tang

- 2x Hippo tang

- 1x Powder blue

- 1x Naso tang

Am planning to re-sale once problems arise. They've all beent there for at least a week (the kole, yellow, and purple 2weeks) and I have not observed any aggression except from the Purple tang (can aggressive to anything or totally peaceful. have moodswings.)

The Naso and powder stick to eachother. The two juvenile Sailfins and the Yellow shoal, so do the hippos. The Kole keeps to itself.

Comments?

• Senior Reefer

that's a massive number of tangs you have in there.....

9 tangs in a 5ft tank is really pushing it. very overcrowded. in a tank that size, i won't put more than 4 tangs. maaaaaaaaybe 5.

• SRC Member

Hello,

1) How long is your tank cycle.

2) Dosing bacteria and everything uses live rocks/sand?

3) What’s your skimmer?

Have 9 tangs in my 5 feet tank and it's ok as my tank is cycled properly, if you add all at one shot (tangs are known to be poo machine = nitrate sure goes up, if your tank is not cycled properly and running a under skim skimmer, i would suggest to sell most of it and leave 1-2 tangs and adding it slowly (though it's good to add alot at one time to minimize aggression)

that's a massive number of tangs you have in there.....9 tangs in a 5ft tank is really pushing it. very overcrowded. in a tank that size, i won't put more than 4 tangs. maaaaaaaaybe 5.

Hmmm okay will monitor.

Hello, 1) How long is your tank cycle. 2) Dosing bacteria and everything uses live rocks/sand?3) What’s your skimmer?Have 9 tangs in my 5 feet tank and it's ok as my tank is cycled properly, if you add all at one shot (tangs are known to be poo machine = nitrate sure goes up, if your tank is not cycled properly and running a under skim skimmer, i would suggest to sell most of it and leave 1-2 tangs and adding it slowly (though it's good to add alot at one time to minimize aggression)

1) 1 week with LR alone. 2 weeks with a few fish.

2) LR in sump and main tank, deep sanbed. Macroalgae refugium with 24 hours light. Haven't started dosing bacteria. Should I?

3)Reef Octupus. I can't remember the volume.

Do consider as well that Tangs "Eat" and " Shit" alot, so it will pollute your tank very fast, and your water filteration system should be able to handle it or else...

Specs above, sump around 1/2 of main tank's volume.