little starfish baby

• SRC Member

thot i saw a little baby starfish [not confirmed] in my nano last night. It is a white blog about 5mm with some distinct star-of-david shape, greyish from top and white bottom. Observed under a toy microscope [belongs to my kids], the bottom matches that of a starfish. Moving quite fast across tank walls.

wondering where did it come from?

is starfish supposed to be 5 legged or 6 legged?

Hi, welcome to the marine hobby, this is where you will be amaze by the different types of creatures/ fish and corals you can find in your aquarium. The star fish may have come together from one of the Live rock, there is a reason why it is called "Live Rocks" for a reason tongue.gif .

Star fish usually have 5 legs of course, but there is instant of 6 legged star fish as well but pretty rare.

Bro Vipermako, you will discover many interesting creatures from your live rocks. Some are good, some harmless, some down right bad like crabs. All are interesting though.

The irregular shaped grey star that you found is not so good. In my case, they attacked my blastos. Do be careful.

rgds,

• SRC Member

i don't hv any live rock. [got bad experience with unwelcome guests like this previously]

my rock all sterilised liao before i put in. lol could be from the corals i bought.

will take it out the next time i see it. Any chance that it has reproduced already?

this is my tank.

is that red coral at the center blasto?

btw, when buying new corals, how to get rid of these pests?

• SRC Member

asterina starfishes may have came from corals, etc.

they reproduce very fast by splitting. that's why most of them have irregular shaped arms.

hv taken it out just now.

hopefully it hasn't splitted yet. lol

btw, i heard nardoa star is a natural biological control for the asterina?

• SRC Supporter

i don't hv any live rock. [got bad experience with unwelcome guests like this previously]

my rock all sterilised liao before i put in. lol could be from the corals i bought.

will take it out the next time i see it. Any chance that it has reproduced already?

this is my tank.

is that red coral at the center blasto?

btw, when buying new corals, how to get rid of these pests?

you can try Coral RX .