Deep sea fish collection video

• SRC Member

Wonder anyone here have seen this video before?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

• Senior Reefer

I was like screaming along with them when they saw the Abei, the Abyss and the hawkfish...

yah same!!! i was like "OMG!! ABEI ABEI ABEI!!!"

wah guess i'm really a fish nerd..

• SRC Member

Found some interesting video from CairnsMarine

Hand caught Napoleon Wrasse

Hand Collecting Butterflies in the Coral Sea

Hand collecting Emperors, Triggers and Butterflies in the Coral Sea

Collecting Assessors on the Great Barrier Reef using a Pseudo net.

Hand Collecting Masked Bannerfish in the Coral Sea

Hand collecting Lemonpeel Angels in the Coral Sea using a Barrier Net

Hand collecting Purplelined Fairy Wrasse in the Coral Sea

Enjoy

Lemon :thumbsup:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Senior Reefer

Found some interesting video from CairnsMarine

Hand caught Napoleon Wrasse

Hand Collecting Butterflies in the Coral Sea

Hand collecting Emperors, Triggers and Butterflies in the Coral Sea

Collecting Assessors on the Great Barrier Reef using a Pseudo net.

Hand Collecting Masked Bannerfish in the Coral Sea

Hand collecting Lemonpeel Angels in the Coral Sea using a Barrier Net

Hand collecting Purplelined Fairy Wrasse in the Coral Sea

Enjoy

Lemon :thumbsup:

thank you bro bigbird!! omg i loved all these videos!!

esp the lemonpeel one haha

• SRC Member

My reaction is different. I felt guilty being part responsible to deplete the fish/coral stock in those pacific countries.

You mean those cynaide caught fishes?

• SRC Member

Cynaide-caught fishes suffered the worst fate and I'm not in favour of such practice, esp in Philippines and Indo. Looks like the divers in vanautu practice a more humane method of catching. But i'm more worried and concerned that our marine hobby will totally deplete the popular species in the ocean one day since there is not much govt regulations in those countries and fishermen were paid so lowly by the middlemen.

• Senior Reefer

some fishes will very unlikely be depleted at such fast rates.

although it seems like we are doing alot of harm, the fishes in the wild reproduce very very prolifically and can double in population in a given time.

although there are some marine fishes that have been considered endangered due to direct result of our hobby, such as banggai cardinals and black tangs. black tangs were extremely common everywhere but now only found in certain islands.

it's because of the lack of black tangs, that black tang hybrids arises.

when a certain fish is in low population, it will be forced to mate with a similar species due to lack of partner.

in this case, black tang will mate with brown tang because there are not enough black tangs. that's why you get a black tang/brown tang hybrid.

hybridisation, many a times, arises from one species being very rare and the other, very common. fishes do not hybridize by choice. it's because they have no choice, thus they choose to hybridize.

• SRC Member

Cynaide-caught fishes suffered the worst fate and I'm not in favour of such practice, esp in Philippines and Indo. Looks like the divers in vanautu practice a more humane method of catching. But i'm more worried and concerned that our marine hobby will totally deplete the popular species in the ocean one day since there is not much govt regulations in those countries and fishermen were paid so lowly by the middlemen.

Agreed.

• SRC Member

some fishes will very unlikely be depleted at such fast rates.

although it seems like we are doing alot of harm, the fishes in the wild reproduce very very prolifically and can double in population in a given time.

although there are some marine fishes that have been considered endangered due to direct result of our hobby, such as banggai cardinals and black tangs. black tangs were extremely common everywhere but now only found in certain islands.

it's because of the lack of black tangs, that black tang hybrids arises.

when a certain fish is in low population, it will be forced to mate with a similar species due to lack of partner.

in this case, black tang will mate with brown tang because there are not enough black tangs. that's why you get a black tang/brown tang hybrid.

hybridisation, many a times, arises from one species being very rare and the other, very common. fishes do not hybridize by choice. it's because they have no choice, thus they choose to hybridize.

Hybridisation does happen, but not common. Even if fishes reproduce fast, i think the humans deplete the breeding stock even faster. Look at sharks and some types of food fish populations, they are at the blink of extinction soon. Undeniably, our demand for seafood and ornamental fishes do have a great impact on marine fishes. Not surprising that people in these trades will throw out any stats or reports that will threaten their livelihood and pockets. Just hope captive breeding can be extended to many more species.

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

All time favourite. Very beautiful.

i think this is a very interesting and important video put up by bigbird to understand how the fish is collected, hopefully everyone will start to appreciate every live stocks that they purchase apart from the money spend . i have put it up here again.

Part 1

Part 2

• SRC Member

Human r blind by greddyness...

Like 1 of our bro mentioned.When there's a demand there will be endless supplier.

Which i think we should do that. Some fishes yes very pretty,rare and even feel like owning 1 but then again before act we must tell ourselves do we have the ability to keep it alive etc.

If can try not to own it. Seeing will be good enough...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Human r blind by greddyness...

Agreed. This happened thru out the whole world.

Like 1 of our bro mentioned.When there's a demand there will be endless supplier.

The suppliers are business people. This month people is crazy about Blue tang, the importer will place lot of order for blue tang. Why? How much can a fish shop earn base on weekly profit if he/she has a shipment? Not much. If they don’t seize the opportunity they will have to wait for another chance. Look at the "Finding Nemo" craze, people include kopi tiam uncle and auntie switches their lucky Fa Chai Luohan to little clown fish and tiny blue tang. I remember once i saw almost 100+ blue tang and clown fish being imported in. It was gone after Saturday and Sunday. Even the AVA did not imply any ban on it. This is life and human nature.

Which i think we should do that.

Your meaning pls?

Some fishes yes very pretty,rare and even feel like owning 1 but then again before act we must tell ourselves do we have the ability to keep it alive etc.

If can try not to own it. Seeing will be good enough...

Agreed bro, we should ask ourself, can we handle it? Is our system and water quality suitable to keep the rare and beautiful fish? Study and understand it requirement and characteristic before we act. I am glad you are one of the responsible hobbyists.]

But then again, if forever we alway feel inferior and dare not try, we will never ever keep it and no experience ever gain. Then we will spend more by travelling to Lord Howe just to dive and see the Conspicillatus angel.

No offence bro, it just my 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

1 thing i know,deep sea fishes r mostly those rare fishes...

Ya lor they are mostly rare and expensive.. But no matter how expensive, can't compare to those fresh water odd balls. One Polka Dot ray. $25000 a pair.

• SRC Member

Saving Gaia...

We human have done enough harm to the planet earth...

Time to pay back...

AVA do no nuts wan leh... They just some1 who got no brain in terms of animal n wildlife.

Banned this banned that,confiscate this n that end day died in their hand n animal which kana taken by them were never in good hand.

E.g confiscated item like those exotic pets some died in their hand due to dunno how to take care. Despite that still wanna confiscate from keeper. Fine somemore. End day wan $ only.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Another thing if u guys notice AVA tends to slap their own mouth using their hand.

E.g allowing selling n keeping of soft shell turtle but if it's a albino soft shell turtle they will catch n fine u for owning it.

Coz they say it's an exotic. Same goes to bull frog that we always eat.

Stupid right?