Adding more dispar anthias?

HI,

Is it possible to add more dispar anthias into my tank of 4 estabish dispar anthias? Thinking of adding maybe 8-10 to make it a bigger school. Will the estabished one attack the new comer? Cause i used to added a male into the 4 female then the male kana beat up by the dominate female. Thanks. =)

• Like 1

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

HI,

Is it possible to add more dispar anthias into my tank of 4 estabish dispar anthias? Thinking of adding maybe 8-10 to make it a bigger school. Will the estabished one attack the new comer? Cause i used to added a male into the 4 female then the male kana beat up by the dominate female. Thanks. =)

you can balance the power by getting a dominal male...usually has high fin and mouth like sampan or a dominal male anthias of other species...the dominal male once establish himself will be the bully....if there r no dominal male..or the male has turn into female or ah kua...then the dominate female will be the leader...usually the biggest fellow in the tank...

l7304smr.jpg

you can balance the power by getting a dominal male...usually has high fin and mouth like sampan or a dominal male anthias of other species...the dominal male once establish himself will be the bully....if there r no dominal male..or the male has turn into female or ah kua...then the dominate female will be the leader...usually the biggest fellow in the tank...

Hmmm now i have a male liao, so thinking of getting 10 femaale. Then maybe my male will become dominate male. =)

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

• SRC Member

Hmmm now i have a male liao, so thinking of getting 10 femaale. Then maybe my male will become dominate male. =)

hmmm...just try to get a alpha male...extra big, extra high fin..u know that's the guy u want...

if there's no alpha male...sometimes a dominate female will change to male...hur hur...

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

it will be nice to have so many anthias but will you be able to keep up with feeding all of them?

when they are all settled, the dominant ones may not allow the small ones to feed. due to heirachy status.

and also bear in mind, sometimes more than 1 female will morph and you may end up with more than 1 male.

and lastly, will you be bored with them after awhile? having so many of the same anthias may bore you after awhile and you will have problem removing.

• SRC Member

well...anytime u r bored with anthias...i'll be here to take them...hur hur...

yes, the domineering male / female will tend to be aggressive during feeding time....wat i do is to scatter the food so that they dun gather at one area to feed.... :groupwavereversed::groupwavereversed: weee....eeeee.....

l7304smr.jpg

hmmm...just try to get a alpha male...extra big, extra high fin..u know that's the guy u want...

if there's no alpha male...sometimes a dominate female will change to male...hur hur...

Hmmm ya i know what u mean, will get 1 alpha male and 9 female. =)

it will be nice to have so many anthias but will you be able to keep up with feeding all of them?

when they are all settled, the dominant ones may not allow the small ones to feed. due to heirachy status.

and also bear in mind, sometimes more than 1 female will morph and you may end up with more than 1 male.

and lastly, will you be bored with them after awhile? having so many of the same anthias may bore you after awhile and you will have problem removing.

Cos i am feeding my sun coral 6 times a day so i assume the anthias can feed on the left over. =)

Yup agreewith u on the morph part, now in my estabish 4, 2 of them are male and the other 2 is female. And the 2 male tend to fight during feeding.

well...anytime u r bored with anthias...i'll be here to take them...hur hur...

yes, the domineering male / female will tend to be aggressive during feeding time....wat i do is to scatter the food so that they dun gather at one area to feed.... :groupwavereversed::groupwavereversed: weee....eeeee.....

Wahahahah okok if i am bored with the anthias then i pass to u.

For the food part i will just have to spam the tank lor.

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

So in conclusion, i will need to get 1 alpha male and the rest all female, spam the tank with food and feed them a lot of time in a day. Correct?

Edited by Terryz_

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

So in conclusion, i will need to get 1 alpha male and the rest all female, spam the tank with food and feed them a lot of time in a day. Correct?

Yup.. Or you can get all female lor.. Spam with BBS, copepod and cyclopeeze... I realised they react very well to cyclopeeze actually most fish do...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Yup.. Or you can get all female lor.. Spam with BBS, copepod and cyclopeeze... I realised they react very well to cyclopeeze actually most fish do...

Ok will see what i can get. Thanks for all the help. =)

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es