Mixing Purple and Yellow tang

Hi,

Got myself a 3 inch purple tang today.

Introduced into my 2 feet tank with an yellow tang of about 2.5inch.

Within an hour the tangs started to fight and found that my yellow tang was 'stabbed' a few times in the body.

What I did was to isolate the purple and seek some advise here before deciding on the next move.

Can the bros here advise me on what to do... any tricks or success stories that you've experienced by mixing the 2 together

Thanks =)

• SRC Member

No tricks no nothing. They got to intro into tank at the same time to prevent fight.

Either 1 intro 1st will become territorial to that environment so when the other being put into it they will ''hoot''

base on your case now wat u can do is place either 1 in a seperate container inside the tank. For few weeks untill they sian n get use to each other Liao only then u can release it into the tank.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Another alternative if u wan immediate effect.

Throw the both of them into sump tank. It's a new place for the both of them thus they should be not getting use to the place n hence ok n live well with each other.

For weeks then transfer them into the main tank

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

small tank? not advisable to have these 2 tangs. Not impossible, but your tank has gotta be spacious for them both to coexist.

Always good to read up (google) before you purchase on their aggression or suitability.

Potential Solution: do a complete rescape, confuse both fish that this is a new environment. That could help.

Unless your sump has got sufficient rocks and space for both, i will advice against put them together in sump.

However, if you have a small tank and not enough rocks for them both (either to hide/create their territory), then i guess, pick one, and give away the other.

Just do some research before buying in future, it does help a lot.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• Senior Reefer

i get so angry when i see people mistreat their livestock without reading.

2 zebrasoma tangs together? in a 2ft tank?

go and read up on this genus and you will know that they are very aggressive towards cospecifics. it's not advisable to keep even one in a 2ft tank yet you have 2.

i don't even reccomend keeping one, let alone two. it's impossible for both to co-exist in a small tank so none of the above advise on dispersing aggression will work.

it's very possible to keep them in a bigger tank but in a 2ft, sorry bro, not going to happen.

my advise, sell one away.

Hi,

Got myself a 3 inch purple tang today.

Introduced into my 2 feet tank with an yellow tang of about 2.5inch.

Within an hour the tangs started to fight and found that my yellow tang was 'stabbed' a few times in the body.

What I did was to isolate the purple and seek some advise here before deciding on the next move.

Can the bros here advise me on what to do... any tricks or success stories that you've experienced by mixing the 2 together

Thanks =)

Since mistake done, let try to fix it :)

Some bros recommend :

1. Sell one of them :P

2. Try rescape (but doesn't work for my previous nano, I think tank too small even how we scape they still not happy)

3. Mirror methods (sometime works :thumbsup: I observed tangs team up and aggainst mirror )

4. QT them with partition and dimmer, release after few weeks. ( to avoid additional stress induce in your main tank )

5. Partition your tank combo with mirror, release them after few months.. (Most likely works.. cause they already used to your tank condition.. and knowing each other strength. they will develope their own pecking system.. Weaker give way...)

some reference:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88493&st=0&p=909029&hl=partition&fromsearch=1&#entry909029

Normally, for Yellow tang and Purple Tang. I suggested get slight smaller Purple tang than yellow one... Cause Purple tang known to be more aggresive and stronger....

Above just share my own opinion and learning from others guru.....

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

• Like 1

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Good suggestion from the above...

Cheers... Dun be sad n learn from mistake.

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply. Had to clarify tt I did read up and once i saw tt there was a fight i seperated the Tangs. Its jus that sometimes you chance on something then very hard not to buy and decide to give it a shot. So take a chill pill bro...dont be angry k :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think that i have too small a tank to try this one out. Will be letting go of my Purple Tang for a better home already.

Any bros tt are interested pls pm me cos I cant post on pasar malam yet.

Thanks to all the bros for you inputs :ThanxSmiley:

• Senior Reefer

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply. Had to clarify tt I did read up and once i saw tt there was a fight i seperated the Tangs. Its jus that sometimes you chance on something then very hard not to buy and decide to give it a shot. So take a chill pill bro...dont be angry k :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think that i have too small a tank to try this one out. Will be letting go of my Purple Tang for a better home already.

Any bros tt are interested pls pm me cos I cant post on pasar malam yet.

Thanks to all the bros for you inputs :ThanxSmiley:

a wise choice.

• SRC Member

Tangs r popular so shouldn't be getting too long to sell it...

Good luck for your sales...