False vs True percula

Anyone know how to tell the different between False and true percula clown fish? Nowaday the quality of false percula like getting better cannot really tell when they r small.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Anyone know how to tell the different between False and true percula clown fish? Nowaday the quality of false percula like getting better cannot really tell when they r small.

Normally I look at their eyes.. true percula got one more layer but false clown dun (whole dark)... this will not wrong.. probably, I should snap some pics for comparison other days.....

Below r from animal-world suggestion:

This True Percula Clownfish is very similar to the Ocellaris Clownfish or False Percula Clownfish, A. ocellaris. The difference is in the number of dorsal spines (11 for A. ocellaris, and 10 or 9 for A. percula), the anterior part of the dorsal fins is taller in A. ocellaris, and A. ocellaris never have a thick black margin around the three white bars. The two fish do not occur together in nature. The black bar is sometimes expanded more than the fish in the above picture.

True Percula Clownfish

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/truepercula.php

Common or False Percula Clownfish

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/clowns/ocellaris.php

Cheers and Happy Reefing..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

I see, thanks bro for the information. from the picture really look quite alike. Looking forwards to the picture to compare the different in the eye part. =) Thanks.

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

I see, thanks bro for the information. from the picture really look quite alike. Looking forwards to the picture to compare the different in the eye part. =) Thanks.

Haha... Sorry... may be I just temporary snap some pics from my magazine....

You can see thier eyes design r totally diff..... the one with full dark on the right is False clown. the other one on the left r more define in eye layer...

Dun compare color... percula now a days come with dark and light orange as well....

post-9248-12756990725654_thumb.jpg

Hope this help....

Cheers....

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

You can see thier eyes design r totally diff..... the one with full dark on the right is False clown. the other one on the left r more define in eye layer...

Dun compare color... percula now a days come with dark and light orange as well....

Hope this help....

Cheers....

Wat u mean by false clown? Is there another name for it? Or really is false?

Just like the alligator snapping turtle & common snapping turtle.

They like to call the common snapping turtle the false alligator snapper...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Wat u mean by false clown? Is there another name for it? Or really is false?

Just like the alligator snapping turtle & common snapping turtle.

They like to call the common snapping turtle the false alligator snapper...

Haha... u should compare alligator Vs crocodile.. :groupwavereversed:

Ya... False Percula Clown = Ocellaris Clownfish or u can call common clown.....

scientific name = Amphiprion ocellaris

The "Finding Nemo" movies clown fish is actually Ocellaris Clownfish..... :)

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Sorry for a stupid question. Other than the price, what so special about True Percula Clown? I mean I am looking forward to a pair of clown fish and hopefully bright orange color.... would Ocellaris Clownfish be a good choice?

PS: Ocellaris Clownfish should be cheaper right?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

Sorry for a stupid question. Other than the price, what so special about True Percula Clown? I mean I am looking forward to a pair of clown fish and hopefully bright orange color.... would Ocellaris Clownfish be a good choice?

PS: Ocellaris Clownfish should be cheaper right?

Hai,

I think Up to personal preference... May be ppl prefer Percula probably dark color growth more when adult(tri-color :) )... other clownfish keeper can share what they like about percula too....

Ya... Normal Ocellaris Clownfish ~1 - 2 dollor.. and Normal Percula ~8 - 20 dollar... depends sizes and LFS....

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

if you like pure orange clowns, go for ocellaris.

if you like clowns with plenty of black, go for percula.

true perculas scientific name is Amphiprion percula.

false percula scientific name is Amphiprion ocellaris

It's called false ocellaris because it's not the true A. percula, but resembles it with much similarity except, that it lacks the excess black markings.

• SRC Member

Hai,

I think Up to personal preference... May be ppl prefer Percula probably dark color growth more when adult(tri-color :) )... other clownfish keeper can share what they like about percula too....

Ya... Normal Ocellaris Clownfish ~1 - 2 dollor.. and Normal Percula ~8 - 20 dollar... depends sizes and LFS....

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

if you like pure orange clowns, go for ocellaris.

if you like clowns with plenty of black, go for percula.

true perculas scientific name is Amphiprion percula.

false percula scientific name is Amphiprion ocellaris

It's called false ocellaris because it's not the true A. percula, but resembles it with much similarity except, that it lacks the excess black markings.

Thanks for the advice!

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

With the explosion of different colour morphs, it's even more difficult for the uninitiated to tell these 2 apart. Another way is by counting the spines on their spiny dorsal fin (Top Front Fin). Perculas normally have 10 spines while Ocellaris normally have 11. Ocellaris normally have taller spiny dorsal fins than Percula.

The spine counting is the scientific method but may not be very practical - try counting the spines on a living swimming fish. laugh.gif

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hope this help....

Cheers....

I see thanks for your picture. :welldone: Ya lor now cannot really compare colour, true percula sometime also not really black.

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

With the explosion of different colour morphs, it's even more difficult for the uninitiated to tell these 2 apart. Another way is by counting the spines on their spiny dorsal fin (Top Front Fin). Perculas normally have 10 spines while Ocellaris normally have 11. Ocellaris normally have taller spiny dorsal fins than Percula.

The spine counting is the scientific method but may not be very practical - try counting the spines on a living swimming fish. laugh.gif

Wahaha... Didn't know it can be so detail... Think I got to learn more from the fellow mate here le...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Wahaha... Didn't know it can be so detail... Think I got to learn more from the fellow mate here le...

Actually, if u see them often... u will distinct them by instinct.. Haha... Just like recognise diff genus of Durian and Banana or other fruits... But all fundamental knowledge still important :)

:groupwavereversed::groupwavereversed:

Durian lover.. should know diff between 2 durian below : :thumbsup:

post-9248-12757929493061_thumb.jpg

Sorry... Off topic a bit... :)

Cheers and Happy Reefing.....

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore