Diatoms and Coral Snow

pandagold

in the past few weeks, I've experience with Diatoms problem .

Was at Reef Depot last week and was recommanded Coral Snow. used it yesterday and today problem still persisit ?

Was mentioned protein skimmer will over-work, but no such problem with mine - ( skimz 150 )

Light just was on and now my sand bed showing strong signs of Diatoms growing again !!!!!

How long will this coral snow take effect after dosing ?

Anyone can help ......

Planning to change water again, but this round with distilled water . Does it contain silicate in distilled water ... ?

Was at Reef Depot last week and was recommanded Coral Snow. used it yesterday and today problem still persisit ?

Was mentioned protein skimmer will over-work, but no such problem with mine - ( skimz 150 )

Light just was on and now my sand bed showing strong signs of Diatoms growing again !!!!!

Anyone can help ......

Planning to change water again, but this round with distilled water . Does it contain silicate in distilled water ... ?

hi Panda

I heard from Desi that her diatom reduction after using Coral Snow was quite fast.

2 days or so.

But pls do not misplace your trust on it as a miracle solution, bro.

If you have been using untreated tap water for topping up and WC, do expect some of these diatoms to show up.

New tank has diatoms easily as well. Proper husbandry chores, feeding regime, water conditions, etc also play a part.

It is good to use Distill water for topping up and WC.

But pls note that they have a PH of only 7.0

so overtime, your PH might slowly drop.

Good to keep an eye on PH.

cheers

jacky

• Like 1

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Moderators

Yes. What Jacky said is true. Proper husbandary is important.

Personally, i had experienced success with coral snow on red slime.

Like Jacky said, this is no miracle product and it does take times for system which had serious diatoms issue.

Water change and increase of flow in tank will help as well. Diatoms always appear and thrive in low flow area where all the waste gather.

Tom

Thanks Jacky and Thomas for your quick reply .

I'll likely to buff distilled water during the salt mix to bring it back up to ph 8.3

My tank is already 1.5 years old, and I guess the silicate started building up through the months ......

I'm planning to turn off my light for the next 2 days, and hopefully this will help . Do you think this is appropriate to turn off my lights for 2 days ?

and also planning to conduct water change 5 % every 2 days over the next 2 -3 weeks . So by the end of 1 month, I would have all new water in the system .

If you have space you might want to try a algae scrubber, it's working for me. No diatoms and green hair algae slowly reducing. You can look under General reefkeeping and look for MEGA NITRATE REMOVER.

problem is I have only Diatoms, and no green hairy algae issues !!

In my slump, I have my 9w PL light turned on 24 hrs for my cheato and Mangrove trees, and I've not any problem there with Diatoms or green algea problems .

Thinking about it, it could be my LED lighting creating this problem ???? as it seems isolated to my main tank .

I'm using maxspec 230watts .

• SRC Member

problem is I have only Diatoms, and no green hairy algae issues !!

In my slump, I have my 9w PL light turned on 24 hrs for my cheato and Mangrove trees, and I've not any problem there with Diatoms or green algea problems .

Thinking about it, it could be my LED lighting creating this problem ???? as it seems isolated to my main tank .

I'm using maxspec 230watts .

strong lights will deter diatoms...

its either a case of high nitrate, silicates from untreated water, or lack of oxygen in your water...

l7304smr.jpg

ATS does remove diatoms, no i don't think your LED is the problem. Whats your current nitrate and phosphate level?

I'm using an air pump to oxygenate my water in the slump .

Think is likely my nitrate that's causing the problem.

Any mechanical or chemical products to remove nitrates ( NO3 ) .... my NO2 is zero

its either a case of high nitrate, silicates from untreated water, or lack of oxygen in your water...

Provide us some specs, eg are you using a skimmer, how big is your tank......nutrient high tank will have nusiance growth of algae.

The only way to reduce NO3 via chemical way is using AZNO3.

where can I purchase AZNO3 ?

does AM sells them ?

Provide us some specs, eg are you using a skimmer, how big is your tank......nutrient high tank will have nusiance growth of algae.

The only way to reduce NO3 via chemical way is using AZNO3.

• 2 weeks later...

problem still persist after all kinds of treatment :

1. Used Coral Snow

2. UltraLife Red Slime remover

Used both items and still did not desolve or resolve this problem . I've been informed they are both "powerful " deterrents against red slime/ Diatoms .

I'm wondering if this thing I'm experiencing is really Diatoms or red Slime , OR ??????????

Currently trying to change water , 1 bucket per week ( bought water from AM )

Anyone can help ......

Hai, I used coral snow everday and ZeoZym once a week or twice a month... But I found ZeoZym more powerful on Diatoms/others hair algae handling.. u may consider ya.... probaby, Contact RD for more info :)

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

problem still persist after all kinds of treatment :

1. Used Coral Snow

2. UltraLife Red Slime remover

Used both items and still did not desolve or resolve this problem . I've been informed they are both "powerful " deterrents against red slime/ Diatoms .

I'm wondering if this thing I'm experiencing is really Diatoms or red Slime , OR ??????????

Currently trying to change water , 1 bucket per week ( bought water from AM )

Dun Worry.. Diatoms or Red Slime.. ZeoZym will clear them.... But I heard some feedback it may cause "burn tip" effect on SPS.. Due to powder form residual generated sit on yr sps if not sufficient flow.. I guess...

But so far I am satisfy with it.... May be calL RD for more info :)

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Additives and mediations do help but the initial problem will still re-surface after a while if preventive measures are not done to remove the source.

whats your Kh and Ph at? extreme low kh and ph can be a reason.

were you using tap water? or distilled water all these while?

if you do not have FR with good media in it.. turning off lights will not help. The silicates and phosphate will still remain even though your nitrate might have gone down. but it works if theres no phosphate and silicates in the water and nitrate is the main source for algae. These all links up if you were using tap water.

Algae is a form of nutrients output. The cycle will end when tap water doesnt not have a part with tank husbandry's and of course after the diatoms period goes over.

and lastly, the flow on bottom part of your tank(sandbed area) might be a bit low, if sand is too fine and you cant increase this get sand dwellers to move it for you.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

Additives and mediations do help but the initial problem will still re-surface after a while if preventive measures are not done to remove the source.

if you do not have FR with good media in it.. turning off lights will not help. The silicates and phosphate will still remain even though your nitrate might have gone down. but it works if theres no phosphate and silicates in the water and nitrate is the main source for algae. These all links up if you were using tap water.

Algae is a form of nutrients output. The cycle will end when tap water doesnt not have a part with tank husbandry's and of course after the diatoms period goes over.

and lastly, the flow on bottom part of your tank(sandbed area) might be a bit low, if sand is too fine and you cant increase this get sand dwellers to move it for you.

Ya, agree about MOssrope..

Hai. Bro pandagold, forgot to ask.... how old is your tank? Could be new tank syndrome.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/waterquality/a/aa051799.htm

http://www.aquapages.info/Page21aa.html

routine WC will help definitely.. probably get some cleaning crew for the moment...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

UsedRed Slime remover 3 days back , and still no effect ?? could this not be red slime, but something else ?

Dun Worry.. Diatoms or Red Slime.. ZeoZym will clear them.... But I heard some feedback it may cause "burn tip" effect on SPS.. Due to powder form residual generated sit on yr sps if not sufficient flow.. I guess...

But so far I am satisfy with it.... May be calL RD for more info :)

Just order RO/DI unit from Gary. Hopefully to use it with more water change .

Currently KH and PH within acceptable range .

Tank is already 1.5 years old .

Previously I had bubble algea problem, after introducing some rocks, and now this problem !!

Just ordered RO/DI unit from Grey and hopefully with weakly 10% water change can get by NO3 down from 100 to below 20 .

Ya, agree about MOssrope..

Hai. Bro pandagold, forgot to ask.... how old is your tank? Could be new tank syndrome.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/waterquality/a/aa051799.htm

http://www.aquapages.info/Page21aa.html

routine WC will help definitely.. probably get some cleaning crew for the moment...

But mine is opposite. when my LED lights is on, I have full bloom of this red slime .... ( over night lights off, all dies off )

could it be bacteria blooms instead, since AM red slime remover does no effect on it .

• 2 weeks later...

Have been changing 1 pail of water almost daily , and reduce lighting period . ( salt mix + RO/DI water )

I've seen some improvement, but its gradual .

Have also stop using all chemical, especially AZNo3, which had "killed" and melted some of my leathers .

SPS frags are still growing, and rooting onto stones , but NO3 is still above 100 ......

After water change, all my SPS colour started to change, seems brighter and intensity of blue and purple is seen now .

Will continue to change water daily , small bucket about 10-15 litres of water , and hopefully purple Diatoms on sand bed disappears soon .

Diatoms cannot grow without silicate. Silicate is like oxygen to them. Remove your silicate input & your diatom will go away after they have exhausted the silicates in your water. This is done by using a RO/DI unit to treat your tapwater before use.

Diatoms are brown. If what you are seeing is purple, it is cyanobacteria. This solved by getting the phosphates out of your water by running some phosphate removal medium. Increasing water flow around that area will help as well.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

currently using RO/DI unit for water top up and water change .

Is there any absorbent I can use to suck up these silicates ? does Seacam products offer this solution ? or any products .

I'll not use anymore liquid chemical, as the long term effects can be damaging !!!!! learned it the hard way when I kill my leather corals

Diatoms cannot grow without silicate. Silicate is like oxygen to them. Remove your silicate input & your diatom will go away after they have exhausted the silicates in your water. This is done by using a RO/DI unit to treat your tapwater before use.

Diatoms are brown. If what you are seeing is purple, it is cyanobacteria. This solved by getting the phosphates out of your water by running some phosphate removal medium. Increasing water flow around that area will help as well.