Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

do you know it's almost impossible to find a bicolour fiji foxface at this size!?

it's only 2 inches and it's the smallest i've seen. this fish always come in 4-5 inches and it's so big and irritating.

small ones are almost impossible to get!

but i managed to find one! so happy

Some also called them "Black Fox-face" s. name : "Siganus (Lo) uspi".. nice picked.. :thumbsup:

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

Some also called them "Black Fox-face" s. name : "Siganus (Lo) uspi".. nice picked.. :thumbsup:

ohh.

siganus (Lo) uspi.

"Lo" is a subgenus of rabbitfish for the "foxfaces" which includes the bicolor foxface, magnificent, and the normal yellow foxface. but i prefer using siganus instead of Lo.

actually bicolor foxface is more accurate. there is a very very rare foxface endemic to tonga only called the Black foxface, which is the black tang equivalent to the foxface. it is entirely black with no other colours or pattern, except for slightly yellow pectoral fins. it is also very very rare in the trade. but fairly common in the wild.

the scientific name is Siganus (Lo) niger.

there are no photos online but there's a video of the very elusive and rare black foxface on fishbase.

here's the link. clikc the "play video" option to see it.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=4632

• Senior Reefer

haha jeremy. i kept it in a little jar and poke holes. let it float in my tank. i want it. it's my new pet.

anyway, one of my soft corals are spawning! sexual reproduction. there are tiny baby corals growing and if you look carefully, you can see the polyps. they are the little whit dots on the rocks. some of them already have stems and multiple polyps!

this is ALL OVER my tank btw.

post-15755-0-63136900-1299405899_thumb.j

haha jeremy. i kept it in a little jar and poke holes. let it float in my tank. i want it. it's my new pet.

anyway, one of my soft corals are spawning! sexual reproduction. there are tiny baby corals growing and if you look carefully, you can see the polyps. they are the little whit dots on the rocks. some of them already have stems and multiple polyps!

this is ALL OVER my tank btw.

Wow!

I hope the green nepthea u gave me will spawn also, but these few days it has decided to close and not opening..

• Senior Reefer

Wow!

I hope the green nepthea u gave me will spawn also, but these few days it has decided to close and not opening..

but is it still healthy and green?

sometimes they will close for a few days. mine also. but my colony is huge and very big so it's more inclined to spawn when it's healthy.

i've had before suncorals and clove spawn. but this is my first time a soft coral other than cloves are spawning

but is it still healthy and green?

sometimes they will close for a few days. mine also. but my colony is huge and very big so it's more inclined to spawn when it's healthy.

i've had before suncorals and clove spawn. but this is my first time a soft coral other than cloves are spawning

It's healthy, and still v green.

I'm used to soft corals closing for a few days so i'm not worried. But mine is too small to spawn la.

• Senior Reefer

From the pictures it looks like sponges or tunicates. I may be wrong, no macro shots

i cant do macro shots.

but it's corals. there's distinctive polyps. flower like polyps.

i just dont like if they're nephthea, or capnella

i cant do macro shots.

but it's corals. there's distinctive polyps. flower like polyps.

i just dont like if they're nephthea, or capnella

post-3560-0-48410500-1299467901_thumb.jp

pic is from http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87682&mode=threaded

Bro, is your white colour grow stufflooking like the white stuff on the left of this pic I posted?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

post-3560-0-48410500-1299467901_thumb.jp

pic is from http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87682&mode=threaded

Bro, is your white colour grow stufflooking like the white stuff on the left of this pic I posted?

that's a tunicate.. and the white stuff on the left is a sponge of sorts or another tunicate. definitely not a soft coral..

mine's the post-larval stage of either nepthea, or capnella.

• Senior Reefer

first time in more than a decade.

C. paucifasciatus makes it's reappearance. i'm so happy to own it. hope it's ok when i get back in 5 weeks time. thanks M3MORPH for being able to obtain this fish. no other country in the world is getting paucifasciatus now and even if they are getting, they are getting them in very very very minute quantities in less than 5 pieces each time. considering how ubiquitous they are in the wild, that's quite baffling.

the paucifasciatus butterfly is a member of the "xanthurus" complex with many similar species found in indonesia and the indian ocean. the xanthurus complex is a model example of charles darwin's theory on allopatric speciation.

post-15755-0-52202400-1300080587_thumb.j

post-15755-0-24914500-1300080608_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Why don't you download Skype on your Iphone, get your bro to fix a laptop with a webcam to capture your tank so you can view it? Its like teleconferencing with your tank. ^_^

i'm too much of a technophobe to know how or care how to do that! LOL :P

• Senior Reefer

anyway for those who are interested to know more about the super rare pair of paucifasciatus butterflies i obtained, along with digiman's even rarer gramma linkii, you guys can read it here.

i've written a short article and published it on glassbox-design.

http://glassbox-design.com/2011/chaetodon-paucifasciatus-red-sea/

this is my 4th out of 6 articles i've written that's been posted. if anyone of you have any news worthy or rare fish/corals to share, just send me a PM and i'll write about it.

• Senior Reefer

i'm pretty clueless about all these but.. i'm dying for a update!

dying for an update on?

i'm in china now so cannot update on anything in my house tank. and the fishes i ordered, also cannot update ._>

• 2 weeks later...