Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Coming from quite a number of your fishes mah! :D

oh yah yah. almost all butterflyfishes are actually yellow-based.

if you look at a butterflyfish book, you will realise that >90% are yellow based.

since my tank have quite a few butterflies, yellow is inevitable. and as i add more butterflies, it's going to get yellower!

next on the lists,

post-15755-037422500 1286195870_thumb.jp

post-15755-079757100 1286195875_thumb.jp

post-15755-068160800 1286195880_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

dear members who are currently reading this. i would like some input on the here listed choice of fish.

If you were me, in your opinion, which of the below three fishes are you most comfortable getting. let's say price is not an issue. now i've already had my heart set on what i want.

the three fishes listed here are the yellow mask angel, bellus and watanabei angel. all three are males. ideally i want the first one. but realistically, it's extraordinarily rare and the last i've seen was >1 year ago. failing to obtain that, i will settle for a pair of bellus. watanabei's will be my last choice.

post-15755-021575600 1286207746_thumb.jp

post-15755-002301400 1286207752_thumb.jp

post-15755-002233900 1286207757_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

:friends: My take...Male Watanabei Angel should be ya 1st Choice as healthy ones dun come often. Male Bellus no need to hunt cos' U can buy 2 females & one of them will morph into Male eventually juz like mine. :eyebrow:

dear members who are currently reading this. i would like some input on the here listed choice of fish.

If you were me, in your opinion, which of the below three fishes are you most comfortable getting. let's say price is not an issue. now i've already had my heart set on what i want.

the three fishes listed here are the yellow mask angel, bellus and watanabei angel. all three are males. ideally i want the first one. but realistically, it's extraordinarily rare and the last i've seen was >1 year ago. failing to obtain that, i will settle for a pair of bellus. watanabei's will be my last choice.

post-2609-065820600 1286208795_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

For me, I would wait it out to purchase the 1st fish. No use getting a fish that is common if your mission is to get those rare ones. Patience is key.

yes.

that's what digiman told me too.

none of the male genicanthus angels are common. some are more common than others, but overall still quite uncommon.

semifasciatus is getting exceedingly rare now with overseas competition and even competition for this rare reef safe angel within our local market.

since it comes from philippines shipment, i cannot specifically place an order for it like hawaiian fishes. so that means i would have to chance upon it in LFS before anyone else buys it.

that's very difficult.

the last time i saw it was more than a year ago and the next time i actually get to obtain it could very well be one or two years from now. which by then i will be in the army and no chance to reef.

so realistically it's not very doable but of course, since it's my facourite fish and first choice, i will definitely try to hunt for it!

• Senior Reefer

:friends: My take...Male Watanabei Angel should be ya 1st Choice as healthy ones dun come often. Male Bellus no need to hunt cos' U can buy 2 females & one of them will morph into Male eventually juz like mine. :eyebrow:

male watanabe's angels are also difficult to obtain. they are 2nd most difficult of the 6 obtainable genicanthus.

first being semifasciatus, watanabei, bellus ~ caudovittatus, lamarck, and finally melanospilos.

philippine watanabes are very hard to find, but females are common. healthy specimens are like you said, very hard to find too. vanuatu shipments also will have watanabe but the sporadically avaialble vanuatu shipments will not make watanabe easy to obtain too.

so yes, this is a good choice and a rare fish but the colour combi of black and white does not appeal to me more than the orange and yellow of bellus and semifasciatus.

• SRC Member

:heh: In moi 6-years of ultra-regular LFSes visits, I have only come across ONCE at BENG's shop. At that time, nobody even bother to take a look at it. :eyebrow: Juz like ROSY, moi bought a beautiful PAIR 3-years ago from IWARNA's 1st shipment. Didn't come again after three shipments. I have given up waiting & move on to other species. :lol:

:friends: Why wait when there are other beautiful fishy to enjoy & appreciate now. Time is a 'passing window'...U never know when will ya excitements stop...graduation, enlistment, work, etc...only if ya 'LADY GAGA' luck licks U this year. :eyebrow:

:whistle Juz my thoughts.

yes.

that's what digiman told me too.

none of the male genicanthus angels are common. some are more common than others, but overall still quite uncommon.

semifasciatus is getting exceedingly rare now with overseas competition and even competition for this rare reef safe angel within our local market.

since it comes from philippines shipment, i cannot specifically place an order for it like hawaiian fishes. so that means i would have to chance upon it in LFS before anyone else buys it.

that's very difficult.

the last time i saw it was more than a year ago and the next time i actually get to obtain it could very well be one or two years from now. which by then i will be in the army and no chance to reef.

so realistically it's not very doable but of course, since it's my facourite fish and first choice, i will definitely try to hunt for it!

• Senior Reefer

haha yes you are very true also.

stuck forever in this eternal limbo.

i'll just continue waiting for now. a wise reefer once said if he has to wait eternity for his fav fish and if one likes it alot, then no other substitute can replace it.

perhaps, i might stumble upon it by accident like my roseafascia and beauperryi.

i can get semifasciatus from overseas but it's not cheap for me to just import one and also i must wait very long and co-ordinate shipping etc. too much trouble.

• SRC Member

:friends: No worries mate...I can help U buy if I ever come across a healthy active one. Seasonal stocks from Phil.

:look: As for me, I treasure mine Mr WATANABEI :wub: veri much cos' there's a tragic story behind it. -_-

male watanabe's angels are also difficult to obtain. they are 2nd most difficult of the 6 obtainable genicanthus.

first being semifasciatus, watanabei, bellus ~ caudovittatus, lamarck, and finally melanospilos.

philippine watanabes are very hard to find, but females are common. healthy specimens are like you said, very hard to find too. vanuatu shipments also will have watanabe but the sporadically avaialble vanuatu shipments will not make watanabe easy to obtain too.

so yes, this is a good choice and a rare fish but the colour combi of black and white does not appeal to me more than the orange and yellow of bellus and semifasciatus.

post-2609-077916000 1286211353_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

:friends: No worries mate...I can help U buy if I ever come across a healthy active one. Seasonal stocks from Phil.

:look: As for me, I treasure mine Mr WATANABEI :wub: veri much cos' there's a tragic story behind it. -_-

haha wah thanks! if you ever see semifasciatus, just let me know. male, female, submale, any state i also want.

likewise, if i see any interesting wrasses or fish that interest you, or interesting shipments, i'll let you know.

R.I.P watanabei. alot of tragic stories in this hobby one. haha.

• SRC Member

:erm: It's the COLLECTOR mate. :rip:

haha wah thanks! if you ever see semifasciatus, just let me know. male, female, submale, any state i also want.

likewise, if i see any interesting wrasses or fish that interest you, or interesting shipments, i'll let you know.

R.I.P watanabei. alot of tragic stories in this hobby one. haha.

• Senior Reefer

:erm: It's the COLLECTOR mate. :rip:

oh! sorry mis-read.

oh dear, another rob lower.

treasure your watanabei then. knowing that someone died to give you a gorgeous male healthy watanabei makes it even more worth cherishing :-)

• SRC Member

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. do what u like, like what u do.. :thumbsup:

if u ask me, all 3 doesnt interest me, not my cup of tea.. if you like one of them, you should try ur best to go all out to wait/find that one special one.. its waiting for you, out there.. :superman:

• Senior Reefer

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. do what u like, like what u do.. :thumbsup:

if u ask me, all 3 doesnt interest me, not my cup of tea.. if you like one of them, you should try ur best to go all out to wait/find that one special one.. its waiting for you, out there.. :superman:

i will wait for the yellow masked angel!

i dunno.

salifert test kit put there natural is 400-425.

Actually I think your Mag and Cal at the lower end... Maybe need to buff up a little... But your KH overshot leh... LOL..

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Actually I think your Mag and Cal at the lower end... Maybe need to buff up a little... But your KH overshot leh... LOL..

yah. need to buff up. or tune the CR again :)

KH dunno why so high. lol..

• SRC Member