Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Well done bro, nice attitude ! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with you, almost all animals are beautiful in it's own right ( except mosquito and few others pest for me ) :upsidedown:

Let's take it in a light hearted way...move on.

:thumbsup:

• Senior Reefer

Still patiently waiting for the following fishes.

Prognathodes marcellae, Prognathodes aya, and the now heavily collected by brian greene, Cirrhilabrus johnsoni.

P. marcellae is an african butterflyfish that steven used to bring in. so can wait for those.

P. aya is a carribean one but so far never come before to my knowledge.

C. johnsoni is endemic to Marshall islands, and share the same niche as the ultra rare Bell's flasher wrasse, both of which being collected by Mr. Greene now. so it's only a matter of time before we start seeing Johnson's fairy wrasse soon.

post-15755-048694100 1285866903_thumb.jp

post-15755-016149500 1285866910_thumb.jp

post-15755-046925800 1285866917_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Pseudanthias parvirostris. the Sunset anthias. got two, one male and one female.

i very seldom see males and males are very gorgeous. sunset anthias prefer to hover around caves and are not as active and fast swimming as bartletts.

the males are a beautiful deep orange with lilac fins and outlines. there is a little mark on the forehead that resembles the sunburst anthias.

the pictures do not do justice to the male. male sunset anthias are very beautiful and the lilac outlines are actually very gorgeous when they glow in actinics.

this is the best i can do.

parvirostris anthias are definitely not nonsense fish!

wow really really nice but i kinda feel that the front picture somewhat looks like sunburst just that its smaller LOL... hope it will do well with bartletts^^ either way have they started to feed yet?

• SRC Member

bro lemon, whats ur experiences with flavoguttatus and bartlettorum? i'm weighing it out btw these 2 coz price wise they are the same.. how about feeding behaviours, ease of weaning onto pellets, and schooling behaviours? :ThanxSmiley:

• Senior Reefer

bro lemon, whats ur experiences with flavoguttatus and bartlettorum? i'm weighing it out btw these 2 coz price wise they are the same.. how about feeding behaviours, ease of weaning onto pellets, and schooling behaviours? :ThanxSmiley:

bartletts are pugnacious gangsters that are very very aggressive towards their own kind. usually for anthias, the most dominant one will morph to a male and the rest will remain females. however for bartletts, each female has the potential to morph into a male because they are all equally dominant. although not 100%, it is not uncommon to find all the bartletts morphing into males.

they love fighting amongst themselves. feeding wise, no anthias can compare to the ease of bartletts. feed on pellets readily right from shipping day. no qualms about feeding and perfect for the SPS tank.

however, they will not school properly and will swim everywhere and sometimes will chase each other relentlessly. bartletts are not anthias like at all, very greedy and brazen.

flavoguttatus is the complete opposite. they are shy and remain tight in a school. they don't fight and kill each other as much as bartletts but feeding wise, difficult to get them on pellets. frozen food they may readily accept depending on health of individual.

• SRC Member

bartletts are pugnacious gangsters that are very very aggressive towards their own kind. usually for anthias, the most dominant one will morph to a male and the rest will remain females. however for bartletts, each female has the potential to morph into a male because they are all equally dominant. although not 100%, it is not uncommon to find all the bartletts morphing into males.

they love fighting amongst themselves. feeding wise, no anthias can compare to the ease of bartletts. feed on pellets readily right from shipping day. no qualms about feeding and perfect for the SPS tank.

however, they will not school properly and will swim everywhere and sometimes will chase each other relentlessly. bartletts are not anthias like at all, very greedy and brazen.

flavoguttatus is the complete opposite. they are shy and remain tight in a school. they don't fight and kill each other as much as bartletts but feeding wise, difficult to get them on pellets. frozen food they may readily accept depending on health of individual.

hm.. icic, thanks bro! i guess i have to give it more thought.. dun want to spend money on flavo only to realize they die off one by one.. hm... and also dun want to spend money on bartletts and they run all over the place, making my tank look messy.. :nc:

• SRC Member

To point out my Bartlett fight but not till death however Flavo fought till death from 4 to 1 =[

bro lcf, was ur flavo feeding?

sorry lemon if i'm diluting ur thread.. :poster_oops:

• Senior Reefer

no worries bro. dilute is ok.

flavoguttatus may fight amongst themselves but if the tank is big, should not be a problem. anthias usually will not kill each other unless all are males. flavoguttatus anthais that come in are usually quite small, meaning they are all female. under normal circumstances, they should not fight.

IMO if you want peaceful and tranquil environment, bartletts are not ideal. i'm sure you've heard how aggressive bartletts can be. and probably seen it for yourself too.

even if they dont kill each other, they will chase and make the tank look quite messy.

• Senior Reefer

I am super fortunate to chance upon a rare fairy wrasse today.

Cirrhilabrus beauperryi, the beauperry's fairy wrasse. It is endemic to solomon islands and Papua new guinea. it is a close relative of the fine spotted or vila wrasse, but was identified as a new species in 2008 by allen, drew and barber.

Will update with pictures later.

here's what it looks like. pictures from a book. it looks like vila with numerous spots and the top part of the body is greenish.

when flashing, the green turns yellow and blue body turns pink.

post-15755-006978200 1285925580_thumb.jp

post-15755-035246000 1285925584_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

no worries bro. dilute is ok.

flavoguttatus may fight amongst themselves but if the tank is big, should not be a problem. anthias usually will not kill each other unless all are males. flavoguttatus anthais that come in are usually quite small, meaning they are all female. under normal circumstances, they should not fight.

IMO if you want peaceful and tranquil environment, bartletts are not ideal. i'm sure you've heard how aggressive bartletts can be. and probably seen it for yourself too.

even if they dont kill each other, they will chase and make the tank look quite messy.

:thanks: :thanks: i will think more abt it, right now, still no confidence in flavos.. haven't seen much reefers with success with it, whereas bartletts are a sure-hit.. leaning more towards bartletts, but that would still be the next few months.. not stocking up anymore for now.. let my AT stabilize and develop immunity first.. :)

btw bro, your sunsets are super handsome! love those markings on their foreheads.. :thumbsup:

• Senior Reefer

:thanks: :thanks: i will think more abt it, right now, still no confidence in flavos.. haven't seen much reefers with success with it, whereas bartletts are a sure-hit.. leaning more towards bartletts, but that would still be the next few months.. not stocking up anymore for now.. let my AT stabilize and develop immunity first.. :)

btw bro, your sunsets are super handsome! love those markings on their foreheads.. :thumbsup:

i know a reefer with over 30 flavoguttatus and almost 20 princess anthias. all doing very well.

IMO, they are easy to feed, but are not easily weaned onto pellets. so frozen food is still the way to go for them and need many frequent feedings. not good for SPS tank.

• Senior Reefer

Is that the wrasse you bought today ?? Got so blue ar >.< how come always so different from Lfs to your tank de =.=

because it was in a dark tank, you could not see the blue.

beauperryi wrasse has a very blue belly. actually just now could have seen it already mah. in the plastic bag, when the lights were brighter

• Senior Reefer

there are two morphs (subspecies) for the declivis butterfly.

the one i have is an entirely black morph, while the other is the entirely yellow one.

the yellow one is very rare in the trade and i love it much more than the black. unfortunately, the only time i've seen it was last year in CF but it was too big.

hope to find the yellow one again.

post-15755-087179000 1286124444_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

My new love. Keeping again for the 2nd time in my new tank.

Chaetodon declivis. The Declivis butterflyfish.

congrats on getting this fish dude, it's 1 of the only 2 that was there, and u've got the better 1 :)

and very lucky that this fish made it despite the flight delay, some of the DOA were rotting with no eyes left. anyhow, hope it'll morph into the yellow 1 tt u're hoping for!

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

because it was in a dark tank, you could not see the blue.

beauperryi wrasse has a very blue belly. actually just now could have seen it already mah. in the plastic bag, when the lights were brighter

You all should have seen his face when he got this wrasse. Totally like a kid!! hahahaha :friends:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

congrats on getting this fish dude, it's 1 of the only 2 that was there, and u've got the better 1 :)

and very lucky that this fish made it despite the flight delay, some of the DOA were rotting with no eyes left. anyhow, hope it'll morph into the yellow 1 tt u're hoping for!

declivis butterfly is very very hardy.

it's one of the hardiest butterflies in the world and can take shipping very well.

they will also begin feeding almost instantly like mine did. feeding on pellets on day 1.

it will not morph into the yellow one because the black and yellow declivis butterflies are two seperate sub-species.

Chaetodon declivis (declivis) and Chaetodon declivis (wilderi).

mine is C. declivis (wilderi), it's the blacker one. C. declivis (declivis) is rarer.

declivis butterfly is actually not rare and one of the easiest butterflies to keep.

the reason why we don't see them here often is because reefers and LFS always percieve butterflies as difficult and hard to sell.

• SRC Member

icic, anyway in tt case u'll have some exclusivity since there's not many butterfly enthusiast :D

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• Senior Reefer

declivis butterflyfish belongs to the "tinkeri complex" of butterflies, and this whole group is placed in a different genus called "roaops". they are commonly referred to as the roaops butterflies.

all 5 of them are exceptionally hardy and very beautiful. they arrive very healthy and always begin feeding a mere few hours after arrival.

the following pictures show all of the 5.

first picture is declivis, which is found in marshall islands, line islands and surrounding locales. it is shipped in via hawaii shipments.

2nd picture is a mitratus butterfly, which is found in the indian ocean. they are shipped in via sri lankan, maldive and mauritius shipments.

3rd picture is a burgess butterfly which is found in the indo-pacific region. very common and shipped in via philippine shipments.

4th picture is a tinker's butterfly which is found in the marshall islands and surrounding hawaiian islands. they are shipped in via hawaii shipments.

the 5th picture is a very very rare yellow crowned, or flavocoronatus butterfly which is found in marshall islands and guam. they are exceptionally rare and only a few handful have ever been shipped in. all went to japan.

as you can see, all share similar shape and pattern.

my fav is the mitratus and declivis.

post-15755-053048700 1286127695_thumb.jp

post-15755-095146300 1286127703_thumb.jp

post-15755-060227500 1286127707_thumb.jp

post-15755-067249600 1286127712_thumb.jp

post-15755-061525800 1286127718_thumb.jp