Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

the tank labelled it shepardi..

thought it was the one you guys have been discussing about..

no wonder you were staring at it for so long,

didnt notice there was someone beside you... haha..

nah it's not :)

a rare fish geek like me would know in one look if there's shepardi blood. it's just a flame with odd markings. body shape, profile, colouration, finnage is all typical flame.

yeah sorry was too engrossed! did not notice you.

• Senior Reefer

ok here's a few pics of the aberrant flame. last two with female bellus and roseafascia wrasse. i must admit, the middle part is quite yellowish as far as flame goes. but then again, most flames have yellowish middle potions but are blocked by the black bars.

anyway as you can see, the shape is so flame angel and so are the colours and fins. only difference is the extreme limited barring.

post-15755-022934500 1284735852_thumb.jp

post-15755-067413900 1284735857_thumb.jp

post-15755-038938600 1284735862_thumb.jp

post-15755-059198900 1284735866_thumb.jp

ok here's a few pics of the aberrant flame. last two with female bellus and roseafascia wrasse. i must admit, the middle part is quite yellowish as far as flame goes. but then again, most flames have yellowish middle potions but are blocked by the black bars.

anyway as you can see, the shape is so flame angel and so are the colours and fins. only difference is the extreme limited barring.

Totally a flame with abberent marking.. WHY DID YOU BUY IT???? <_<

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Totally a flame with abberent marking.. WHY DID YOU BUY IT???? <_<

Depends on u buy it from wat point of view.

If u buy it thinking it's a hybrid, den yes why buy it?!

But if u buy it becos it's a flame w unique aberrant markings, then v worth it cos this aberrations of little black bars are v rare and hard to come by, something like marquesas flames.

And of course when lemon bought it he's thinking of the latter so it's perfectly understandable.

• Senior Reefer

But if u buy it becos it's a flame w unique aberrant markings, then v worth it cos this aberrations of little black bars are v rare and hard to come by, something like marquesas flames.

And of course when lemon bought it he's thinking of the latter so it's perfectly understandable.

i bought it coz it looked like the marquesan flame which is unobtainable.

because i like it?

it kicks ###### compared to your nox, flavicauda, argentatus, coradion and all your ugly angels any day!

:snore: :snore: :snore:

Maybe personal preference bah... :peace: Of course it is unique but for tat price, I wouldnt buy... Actually it is also becos of the bars thats why I dun like it... :pinch:

Member of:

• SRC Member

interesting bars, reminds me of musical notes on scores, do ray mi ~~~ hope their pricing is reasonable. nonetheless nice fish!

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• SRC Member

if it's a real shepardi hybrid i will be shitting bricks.

shepardi is a super rare angel from guam and japan and we will never get to see it because no collection.

this one is just a regular flame but with very aberrant features. stared for 45 mins wondering if i should get it but it's so unique.

there's only 3 bars on each side and the bars are very thin compared to normal.

but still cannot compare to the completely red totally barless one from marquesas which is super rare and unobtainable.

will post pic either later or tomorrow lah. this guy also very greedy. feeding in the shop, feeding in my betta box.

Hi Lemon, i had own a real Shepardi angel before back in 1996-97, i got it from SL was then in hongleong grn. If my memory dont fade, i got it at $70. It looks like a rusty angel but high class rusty angel. Is it rare now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

• Senior Reefer

Hi Lemon, i had own a real Shepardi angel before back in 1996-97, i got it from SL was then in hongleong grn. If my memory dont fade, i got it at $70. It looks like a rusty angel but high class rusty angel. Is it rare now?

the real shepardi angels are extremely rare now.

they are mainly found in guam and since there's no collection there at the moment, shepardi's are unavailable.

there is another angel that resembles 99% to the real shepardi, and it is the "rusty flame" angel. a hybrid between the flame and the rusty angel.

the rusty flame is found in cebu where rusty and flames are found. they are circulating the market worldwide except singapore now, and they look almost identical to the real shepardi's. that's why many people confuse shepardi and rusty flame.

Wa $70 for a rusty like dwarf angel more than ten years ago is v ex. Most likely it's a true shepardi den. A senior reefer told me 15-20 years ago bandit angel is only $200 each.

• Senior Reefer

now i finally know why they call it crystal glass.

the sand bed is white now. no more diatoms and cyano and watever algae problems.

coraline is starting to grow very nicely

my SPS are encrusting pretty well

the water is crystal clear, like the sandy beaches of tahiti.

and the tank looks so bright due to the white sand reflecting off the light from the MH and the crystal glass.

it finally looks so much better but i'm not going to spoil it with my lousy camera. so no pictures.

• Senior Reefer

Wa $70 for a rusty like dwarf angel more than ten years ago is v ex. Most likely it's a true shepardi den. A senior reefer told me 15-20 years ago bandit angel is only $200 each.

hmm so cheap?

i remember aunty telling me the first ever flame wrasse pair to hit singapore was brought in by them.

1 pair of flame wrasse sold for $600. and many people SNATCHED!

it was so precious then that they had to keep it in the office and people would be so desperate to see it.

at that time, rhomboids were unheard of.

so nostalgic. too bad i was born into the generation where flame wrasse is a staple import of hawaiian shipments and have become so cheap.

hmm so cheap?

i remember aunty telling me the first ever flame wrasse pair to hit singapore was brought in by them.

1 pair of flame wrasse sold for $600. and many people SNATCHED!

it was so precious then that they had to keep it in the office and people would be so desperate to see it.

at that time, rhomboids were unheard of.

so nostalgic. too bad i was born into the generation where flame wrasse is a staple import of hawaiian shipments and have become so cheap.

I dunno how true, I'm quite skeptical also of wat he told me. But i cant verify that cos only started reefing 7 years ago, 15-20 years ago i'm only like less than ten and still in pri school and only know goldfishes and guppies.

now i finally know why they call it crystal glass.

the sand bed is white now. no more diatoms and cyano and watever algae problems.

coraline is starting to grow very nicely

my SPS are encrusting pretty well

the water is crystal clear, like the sandy beaches of tahiti.

and the tank looks so bright due to the white sand reflecting off the light from the MH and the crystal glass.

it finally looks so much better but i'm not going to spoil it with my lousy camera. so no pictures.

WOW.. What did you add to your tank..

Member of:

I dunno how true, I'm quite skeptical also of wat he told me. But i cant verify that cos only started reefing 7 years ago, 15-20 years ago i'm only like less than ten and still in pri school and only know goldfishes and guppies.

It is very possible I know seahorse and crocea clams was $5 each 10-15 years ago... So relatively it should be around that price for bandit...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

It is very possible I know seahorse and crocea clams was $5 each 10-15 years ago... So relatively it should be around that price for bandit...

according to iwarna and reborn,

clams, and corals were dirt cheap last time. fishes on the other hand, were more expensive

• Senior Reefer

Updates on my roseafascia wrasse.

the pelvic fins are entirely yellow and the blue spot is very prominant.

dorsal fin is entirely yellow.

yellow band below the pink dorsal band is very outstanding now.

tail is slightly rhomboidal in shape compared to round few months ago.

starting to flash sporadically which indicates that it's now a male.

i predict in 1-2 months, the colours will brighten up even more.

the tail will become even more rhomboidal in shape first, then slowly elongate to a lanceolate tail.

it's having a kick exerting aggression to all my smaller fishes, which explains it's quick transition into a male.

hehe i don't want to take any photos of it now because i don't have a good camera. but here's a picture of my possum wrasse in if you look at the background, you can see the roseafascia's blue pelvic fins :P

SO BLUE.

post-15755-004768700 1284910933_thumb.jp

green pocci colony

NICE GREEN POCCI! I have a frag alike this. You will be surprised how resilent pocciloporas can be! You be shocked! :groupwavereversed:

Anyway bro, be careful with your carbon dosage. I know it's helpful but it can cause your water to become too clean that you will need to dump ALOT of food and nutrients just to keep your lps and xenias especially alive :) nonetheless, glad you have moved out of your algae crap! :D what brand of carbon? rowa? and remember to change it after one mth! don't be lazy k! :P:P:P:P

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.