Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Reefer

Do you have some trick to feed your butterfly ?Mine always die within 2-3 weeks ...

Thx,

depends on what species you keep.

many are not suitable for aquarium life.

butterflies are also very very prone to disease and are very sensitive to water quality. diet is another thing. some are very difficult to feed.

as a general rule of reef keeping, butterflyfishes are considered demanding and not suitable for beginners, although there are some species that are easy.

but the whole group altogether, should be left to experienced reefers and make sure alot of research is done before you attempt any species.

a single butterflyfish can wipe out your tank. they are VERY prone to disease especially ich and the dreaded velvet.

• Senior Reefer

Have not updated in awhile.

I've already proven it's very possible to keep butterflies and angels in SPS reef tanks. As evident by my collection of thriving SPS and butterflyfishes.

However, a rule of thumb for the SPS and butterflyfish rule is to ensure that the SPS is always healthy. If the SPS is unhealthy and dying, they will start attracting hoards of hungry butterflies and they will make short work of the dying colony in a few days.

Goes the same for all corals. If they are unhealthy, dying, injured etc, they attract angels and butterflies.

This milliepora shown here was injured due to the sting of my hammer coral. it started to STN from the base and this attracted the butterflies.

Here, a very rare paucifasciatus butterfly and a declivis is seen making short work of the dying SPS. I do not bother to save the coral because for me, this is a fantastic sight to watch and is exactly what happens in nature. The butterflies in my tank take turns to aggressively feed on the dying coral.

if the SPS is otherwise healthy and thriving, there is no reason for the butterflies to attack. the polyps remain untouched and the flesh of the SPS is unable to be torn off.

post-15755-0-94552300-1303641062_thumb.j

post-15755-0-40103300-1303641069_thumb.j

post-15755-0-54765700-1303641080_thumb.j

Finally an update! Gorgeous pauci butterfly! Hope there will be more update soon of the pair. Next time take pics with more blue and the butterfly colors will stand out even more!

A few reefers at Iwarna always ask me butterfly reefsafe or not? Can i keep in reef tank? Will they eat SPS?

Next time my answer for them will be: Go and look at lemon's tank thread!

• Senior Reefer

Finally an update! Gorgeous pauci butterfly! Hope there will be more update soon of the pair. Next time take pics with more blue and the butterfly colors will stand out even more!

A few reefers at Iwarna always ask me butterfly reefsafe or not? Can i keep in reef tank? Will they eat SPS?

Next time my answer for them will be: Go and look at lemon's tank thread!

i'm glad that there's been a small increase and a small number of reefers now interested in keeping butterflies and angels in SPS tank.

a good example will be Andy. he's not a member here.

but his full SPS tank is extremely healthy and gorgeous. one of the most beautiful hidden dragon reefs in Singapore. and his tank is angel and butterfly dominated.

i'm glad the mindset is starting to change now. it's year 2011, and it's time for Singapore to catch up with the other countries in reefing.

• Senior Reefer

the paucifasciatus is a beaut lemon!!!

funny.

when i went to shanghai, i saw the swaorvoski (however you spell it) crystal paucifasciatus butterfly and PBT. and i thought of you. you posted it here before right?

haha

• SRC Member

thanks!

maybe next week i'll take some pics of the SPS. most have grown quite abit since the last time :)

awesome, nice la.. we start off same time, but ur tank has become so much more mature than mine.. mine still facing alot of tweaking issues with water parameters.. <_<

• Senior Reefer

awesome, nice la.. we start off same time, but ur tank has become so much more mature than mine.. mine still facing alot of tweaking issues with water parameters.. <_<

my entire sandbed is covered in cyano.

not sure why. but since i came back from shanghai till now.

sian. i hardly even feed..

• SRC Member

funny.

when i went to shanghai, i saw the swaorvoski (however you spell it) crystal paucifasciatus butterfly and PBT. and i thought of you. you posted it here before right?

haha

yup indeedy that was me.. since I had zero luck with powders, a whimsical part of me thought of buying the Crystal PBT and putting it in my tank HAHAHAHA... LOL

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

my entire sandbed is covered in cyano.

not sure why. but since i came back from shanghai till now.

sian. i hardly even feed..

have you done your water changes? (:

anyway just ride out this episode. your tank will come back stronger (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Have not updated in awhile.

I've already proven it's very possible to keep butterflies and angels in SPS reef tanks. As evident by my collection of thriving SPS and butterflyfishes.

However, a rule of thumb for the SPS and butterflyfish rule is to ensure that the SPS is always healthy. If the SPS is unhealthy and dying, they will start attracting hoards of hungry butterflies and they will make short work of the dying colony in a few days.

Goes the same for all corals. If they are unhealthy, dying, injured etc, they attract angels and butterflies.

This milliepora shown here was injured due to the sting of my hammer coral. it started to STN from the base and this attracted the butterflies.

Here, a very rare paucifasciatus butterfly and a declivis is seen making short work of the dying SPS. I do not bother to save the coral because for me, this is a fantastic sight to watch and is exactly what happens in nature. The butterflies in my tank take turns to aggressively feed on the dying coral.

if the SPS is otherwise healthy and thriving, there is no reason for the butterflies to attack. the polyps remain untouched and the flesh of the SPS is unable to be torn off.

Happy Birthday Lemon :thumbsup:

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore