Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhitops fasciatus

An unexpected find at CF. caught my attention because it's initial dull colouration resembles the extremely rare Plectranthias kellogi.

Initially reserved it but was afraid i could not collect in time so i updated in the LFS update thread to let others know about it.

But got a friend to help me collect it and the colours brightened up so much in the tank.

also known as the blood red hawkfish or the red barred hawkfish, this rare import from Hawaii rivals the beauty of most other hawkfishes.

post-15755-011982200 1285672742_thumb.jp

post-15755-086006500 1285672747_thumb.jp

post-15755-031140300 1285672753_thumb.jp

1 green SPS. dunno what it is. cannot capture the green properly. appears brown.

and 1 green slimer. so much green.

The one on the left is Acropora Rosaria.. if given high enough light, the tip portion will turn blueish :wub:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• Senior Reefer

thanks mr cedric,

your green birdnest frag is doing super well. very fluffy and extreme polyp extension.

wilson's millie frag is doing very well also.

too much green.

sadly, i accidently toppled my pink birdnest today and part of it kena stung by my hammer. careless mistake of mine. fragged off the severely dead parts and letting it heal now in a higher flow region.

Aiyah...it's part and parcel of reefing, no sweat. You did it right by fragging off the damage portion, in no time the new shoots will form, some says that the growth may even accelarate :upsidedown:

• Senior Reefer

I'm sure the sps will do well in ur tank. :)

an occassional shot of them will be nice to see.

ok will do.

difficult to capture the colours properly though.

will update in a month or two to track growth :)

• Senior Reefer

Aiyah...it's part and parcel of reefing, no sweat. You did it right by fragging off the damage portion, in no time the new shoots will form, some says that the growth may even accelarate :upsidedown:

yes i was reading the other thread of someone's sps getting stung.

so read that it's best to frag off the dying parts haha.

• Senior Reefer

Pseudanthias parvirostris. the Sunset anthias. got two, one male and one female.

i very seldom see males and males are very gorgeous. sunset anthias prefer to hover around caves and are not as active and fast swimming as bartletts.

the males are a beautiful deep orange with lilac fins and outlines. there is a little mark on the forehead that resembles the sunburst anthias.

the pictures do not do justice to the male. male sunset anthias are very beautiful and the lilac outlines are actually very gorgeous when they glow in actinics.

this is the best i can do.

parvirostris anthias are definitely not nonsense fish!

post-15755-015076500 1285855132_thumb.jp

post-15755-045348800 1285855151_thumb.jp

Pseudanthias parvirostris. the Sunset anthias. got two, one male and one female.

i very seldom see males and males are very gorgeous. sunset anthias prefer to hover around caves and are not as active and fast swimming as bartletts.

the males are a beautiful deep orange with lilac fins and outlines. there is a little mark on the forehead that resembles the sunburst anthias.

the pictures do not do justice to the male. male sunset anthias are very beautiful and the lilac outlines are actually very gorgeous when they glow in actinics.

this is the best i can do.

parvirostris anthias are definitely not nonsense fish!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

the picture does not even do justice.

the body is decorated with fine yellow spots. the tail, fins and head have metallic lilac colouration that glow under T5. and of course, the middle part of the tail is red. a stark contrast to the purple outlines.

the picture does not even do justice.

the body is decorated with fine yellow spots. the tail, fins and head have metallic lilac colouration that glow under T5. and of course, the middle part of the tail is red. a stark contrast to the purple outlines.

Ohh my... gorgeous anthias !!! So are your bartlett anthias nice to them ?

• Senior Reefer

Ohh my... gorgeous anthias !!! So are your bartlett anthias nice to them ?

yes. bartletts too engrossed chasing each other.

started with 5 females now got 2 males 3 females. one of the 3 females starting to change into male. typical...

so un-anthias like. like pigs and gangsters. eat and fight only.

i've removed alot of nonsense fish so now my tank is quite empty :) can slowly stock and put in better fishes liao.

moved my green tort right to the highest point of my scape and it's starting to get back it's blue again!

Wonderful to hear that, if your tort is getting it's blue back then its a sure sign of good water condition and good lightings :welldone: post a pic later if possible when the blue is getting more pronouce.

• Senior Reefer

Wonderful to hear that, if your tort is getting it's blue back then its a sure sign of good water condition and good lightings :welldone: post a pic later if possible when the blue is getting more pronouce.

will update the tort in a few weeks.

• Senior Reefer

another pic of the male sunset.

this shot showing it's nape (forehead). i love the little pattern on it's head. looks like some egyptian hieroglyphics. so cool.

the tail looks like a flag, with the innermost being yellow, then red, then purple, stretching all the way to the dorsal fins and then to the head. colourful.

post-15755-008432000 1285860639_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

This sunset... I like. :welldone:

thanks!

been looking for a male one for quite sometime, but never manage to find one. maybe because they look quite dull in the LFS that i did not notice.

today also, when they came, i did not notice the males. but after looking closely, can see some faint purple colouration on the tail. only after placing them in reef tank setting, then the colours start showing up.

• Senior Reefer

I received a PM from a reefer here, reminding me not to use the word "nonsense" to describe fish.

so to those who take offense by my usage of the word nonsense in relating to fish, i don't mean it the way you think.

Every fish is worth something to someone. just because i do not like it does not mean i must label it nonsense. i get it. but that is not what i mean when i say "nonsense fish"

what i mean is, when i buy something cheap and commonly available on impulse and add it to my tank without thinking, it will cause problems sooner or later like aggression, disease etc. and it will be very difficult to remove and create more problems in future. these are what i label as "nonsense" fish. i'm not demeaning the value or worth of every fish.

afterall, everyfish is taken from the wild and what right do i have to point out what is nonsense and what is not.

so for those who misunderstood me and took great great offense, i publicly apologize for my choice of words.

:peace:

Well done bro, nice attitude ! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with you, almost all animals are beautiful in it's own right ( except mosquito and few others pest for me ) :upsidedown:

Let's take it in a light hearted way...move on.