Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

haha no hard feelings guys just pulling your legs.

Thanks for sharing your excitement, but to pee in pants 3 times is like MP40 pulse mode!

• Senior Reefer

haha no hard feelings guys just pulling your legs.

Thanks for sharing your excitement, but to pee in pants 3 times is like MP40 pulse mode!

i was joking only :) haha

• Senior Reefer

postponed tank arrival to wednesday as i'm quite busy this weekend. everything will be arriving soon. yay. i should climb into the tank and take a photo! :D

• SRC Member

postponed tank arrival to wednesday as i'm quite busy this weekend. everything will be arriving soon. yay. i should climb into the tank and take a photo! :D

remember to put water b4 u climb in and take photo....

at the same time also can test for leaks :lol:

Too many hobby......too little money!

• Senior Reefer

remember to put water b4 u climb in and take photo....

at the same time also can test for leaks :lol:

and test see tank strong enough to support me or not :P

• Senior Reefer

while waiting for my new tank to be ready, i'll be setting up a hyposalinity QT tank over the long weekend.

chose hypo in the end because it's mess free, relatively easy and the most relaxing for the fish.

will be setting up my QT in a large toyogo box :D

QT will enable me to

- observe new tank mates

- quarantine to observe potential disease

- quarantine to cure disease

- to train fish to eat

- to build immunity and strenght before going into the main tank.

pros of hyposalinity is that it's very relaxing on the kidneys of the fish in regulating osmotic potential and decrease dehydration when fish's slime coat is impaired due to infection of ich.

my first guinea pigs to test out my QT skills will be 2 very healthy Centropyge colini and a Paracentropyge multifasciatus.

this should keep me busy while waiting for my tank!

• Senior Reefer

You sure going for Hypo QT? I find troublesome..

yea. might be troublesome to acclimate the fish from full strength seawater to hypo and back again, and also monitoring pH and salinity swings, but i guess it's less messy than copper or other dosing chemicals.

at least hyposalinity eliminates the need to dose anything. and fish will be less stress also.

i've been thinking about it already for quite some time. i think i prefer hypo the most.

• Senior Reefer

True, It is easier on the fish... I might try Hypo if i have time for it.. if not i will just dose furan...

i'm not sure on furan's ability to remove ich but i do know furan is very useful for external bacterial infections and some funguses.

i'm not sure on furan's ability to remove ich but i do know furan is very useful for external bacterial infections and some funguses.

That i not very sure also... So I think hypo is the best..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

yea. might be troublesome to acclimate the fish from full strength seawater to hypo and back again, and also monitoring pH and salinity swings, but i guess it's less messy than copper or other dosing chemicals.

at least hyposalinity eliminates the need to dose anything. and fish will be less stress also.

i've been thinking about it already for quite some time. i think i prefer hypo the most.

i think u need to dose PH buffer. also u need to do water change as at low sg, skimmer cant realli work well. not sure how low u planning to drop ur sg, but correct sg to cure ich is 1.009. takes alot of time n effort to drop to that much, n also lots of effort to bring it back up after 1 mth.....used to play with QT system, but in the end gave up cos it was too troublesome to take care of 2 tanks

• Senior Reefer

are you going to have chiller/skimmer for QT(oyogo)?

not going to have a chiller. and not going to have a skimmer. skimmmer doesn't work well in low sg

• Senior Reefer
tEc' date='28 May 2010 - 07:24 AM' timestamp='1275002678' post='913859']

i think u need to dose PH buffer. also u need to do water change as at low sg, skimmer cant realli work well. not sure how low u planning to drop ur sg, but correct sg to cure ich is 1.009. takes alot of time n effort to drop to that much, n also lots of effort to bring it back up after 1 mth.....used to play with QT system, but in the end gave up cos it was too troublesome to take care of 2 tanks

yes need to dose pH buffer.

as there will be no skimmer, the only way to keep water conditions up is to do frequent water changes every few days. and test for ammonia. will drop sg to 1.009 to 1.010.

No need go so low. 1.010-1.013 would be what I recommend. Anything below 1.010 long term is not good for the fish. Fish should be dunked straight into hypo, provided pH matches. This is what causes parasites to fall off due to osmotic shock. Acclimatizing them to lower salinity defeats the purpose. It's only when raising the sg back up that you need to do it slowly, although some fish like clownfish can go from 1.010 to 1.020+ within a day without any issues. Skimmers work at 1.010, tried and tested. :upsidedown: Will pass you my 9W UV, should be better than not using any. Must show that it is possible to have an "ichless" tank! :cheers:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• Senior Reefer

No need go so low. 1.010-1.013 would be what I recommend. Anything below 1.010 long term is not good for the fish. Fish should be dunked straight into hypo, provided pH matches. This is what causes parasites to fall off due to osmotic shock. Acclimatizing them to lower salinity defeats the purpose. It's only when raising the sg back up that you need to do it slowly, although some fish like clownfish can go from 1.010 to 1.020+ within a day without any issues. Skimmers work at 1.010, tried and tested. :upsidedown: Will pass you my 9W UV, should be better than not using any. Must show that it is possible to have an "ichless" tank! :cheers:

thanks! :D

i don't have a skimmer... need to find a spare.

• Senior Reefer

my guinea pigs for my QT.

firstly, a juvenile multi bar angelfish. this fella was very healthy when i unpacked him during shipment. i kept it for more than a week at iwarna. Sad to say, the condition which i found it after 1 week plus was not terrific. Heard that someone went to catch it and packed it but aunty said it's not for sale. so he returned it.

Quite stressed and doesn't look healthy at all now! :angry:

i'm very unhappy. but it's no ones fault since this is a difficult fish :) we'll see how she goes in the QT

post-15755-12750290956646_thumb.jpg