Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

Just my piece of advice, if you can afford to get a standy chiller 1 hp, in case. IME that within 4hrs cut off chilling the tank temp rise at 31degree, 25% my SPS RTNed. No doubt I do have MH cut off at 30degree set. Do consider, if you really concern for your investment. You just dont know when Murphy's Laws go wrong.

Anyway you have a good set up so far.

Happy reefing!

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

• Senior Reefer

Just my piece of advice, if you can afford to get a standy chiller 1 hp, in case. IME that within 4hrs cut off chilling the tank temp rise at 31degree, 25% my SPS RTNed. No doubt I do have MH cut off at 30degree set. Do consider, if you really concern for your investment. You just dont know when Murphy's Laws go wrong.

Anyway you have a good set up so far.

Happy reefing!

i was thinking of this too thairun. thanks for reminding me! if i can afford i will definitely get a spare or replacement. and definitely need one of those temp cut off thingys.

Not kiasu bro. It's called buying insurance! And the return is more than just premium given the level of satisfaction derived from having a great looking and growing marine tank! :D

+1 on compressor. In fact, the price of a compressor is almost equivalent to the price of a brand new Artica chiller, the difference is the horsepower. I believe 1.5k can get you a 1/4 or maybe 1/2hp chiller liao.

the only problem is you have to choose between drop in or external coil chiller. Depends on the space in your house, otherwise drop in is the best for constraints (:

Hehe... Haha.. Tre.. Give me a peace of mind..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

i was thinking of this too thairun. thanks for reminding me! if i can afford i will definitely get a spare or replacement. and definitely need one of those temp cut off thingys.

The temperature cut of can be bought from Chill Down if not wrong..

Member of:

yup :) best of all, it's free since my friend isn't using it anymore :) but need to service i think since it's not been used for awhile. all in all will be way cheaper than a new chiller.

You using Artica also?? The noise is quite loud..

Member of:

used arctica 1/2 hp, super noisy and super hot air

20 mins to chill my 322tank + 321sump from 27.4 to 26.6

100 mins rest

change to arctica 1/3 hp, super quiet, and a lot lesser hot air

40 mins to chill my 322tank + 321sump from 27.3 to 26.7

80 mins rest

poorer performance of 1/3 could be due to recent hot weather

i think you should go for 1hp at least

used arctica 1/2 hp, super noisy and super hot air

20 mins to chill my 322tank + 321sump from 27.4 to 26.6

100 mins rest

change to arctica 1/3 hp, super quiet, and a lot lesser hot air

40 mins to chill my 322tank + 321sump from 27.3 to 26.7

80 mins rest

poorer performance of 1/3 could be due to recent hot weather

i think you should go for 1hp at least

Seems like it is a good chiller to have... I made the right choice...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Bro, Judging from the size of my tank... Your tank is going to be a GIANT...

wah die. if ur 3 3 2 already so big, my 3.5 3.5 2 wah... .__.

no turning back now :)

• Senior Reefer

Big tank = more stability. In the long run will be an advantage over smaller tank.

yup yup. finally cleaned out my current tank. can wait for my new one now. ahh

• SRC Member

I do not see any wavemaker listed in your equipment list. Also, why not get a Bubble Blaster pump instead of 2 x 1264? For my 422 tank, I am using the Starmex condenser chiller, 25 minute to chill from 26 degree to 25 degree and rest for around 2hr 30 min. If it rains, the chiller will rest for 3hrs or more. I am using a 1260 for return but will change to a Bubble Blaster soon as it consume less power than the Eheim. Guess the Eheim has been toppled by the Bubble Blaster series. As for lighting, why not go for Maxspect? Is the skimmer a confirmed purchase?

• Senior Reefer

I do not see any wavemaker listed in your equipment list. Also, why not get a Bubble Blaster pump instead of 2 x 1264? For my 422 tank, I am using the Starmex condenser chiller, 25 minute to chill from 26 degree to 25 degree and rest for around 2hr 30 min. If it rains, the chiller will rest for 3hrs or more. I am using a 1260 for return but will change to a Bubble Blaster soon as it consume less power than the Eheim. Guess the Eheim has been toppled by the Bubble Blaster series. As for lighting, why not go for Maxspect? Is the skimmer a confirmed purchase?

oh yah forgot to add in the wavemakers. i haven't decided how many or which wavemakers to add first, as this is not crucial for now. when new tank come, water in, cycling stage can still decide. for now i have my tunze 6025, 6045 and 6055. Will need to get more

as for pumps, i prefer eheim over all other brands. just personal preference.

skimmer is more or less confirmed. i intend to get the sc 2060. as for lighting, will get razali to do something for me. all this not so rush, will get the tank in first then do more confirmation.

• SRC Member

oh yah forgot to add in the wavemakers. i haven't decided how many or which wavemakers to add first, as this is not crucial for now. when new tank come, water in, cycling stage can still decide. for now i have my tunze 6025, 6045 and 6055. Will need to get more

skimmer is more or less confirmed. i intend to get the sc 2060. as for lighting, will get razali to do something for me. all this not so rush, will get the tank in first then do more confirmation.

Any plans on sandbed? Plenum?

Hmm... I dunno if LEDs are tried and proven technology for SPS, but maybe can explore that option too? Great build coming up!

• Senior Reefer

Any plans on sandbed? Plenum?

Hmm... I dunno if LEDs are tried and proven technology for SPS, but maybe can explore that option too? Great build coming up!

sandbed will be shallow. 2 inch should do it. i'm not a fan of DSB, plenum etc. For me, sand is only for looks.

My sump has a huge space reserved for future plans, can use it as a fuge, use it to train fish to feed, keep nano fishes or anything i want basically. So even if i wanted a DSB, it won't be in the main tank. will be in the sump.

• Senior Reefer

finally removed my old tank and the house looks so much more spacious!! can't imagine what it will look like when the new tank comes :(

surprisingly my wooden laminated floor under the tank looks just as good as the other parts of the house. i assumed that it will spoil due to salt water spilling under the tank before.

Yeah, I agree... Why not get Vortech? Save on electricity too(I think) and unsightly pumps in the tank?

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Yeah, I agree... Why not get Vortech? Save on electricity too(I think) and unsightly pumps in the tank?

i might get a vortech, but i'm a tunze supporter lol. one thing i dont like about vortec is because it cannot turn.

im a tunze, eheim and deltec fan ._. will get these three brands over others usually. but i might consider a vortech.

sandbed will be shallow. 2 inch should do it. i'm not a fan of DSB, plenum etc. For me, sand is only for looks.

My sump has a huge space reserved for future plans, can use it as a fuge, use it to train fish to feed, keep nano fishes or anything i want basically. So even if i wanted a DSB, it won't be in the main tank. will be in the sump.

No use if you put the DSB in your sump... The surface area must be at least the same surface area of your tank or bigger to be effective..

Member of:

finally removed my old tank and the house looks so much more spacious!! can't imagine what it will look like when the new tank comes :(

surprisingly my wooden laminated floor under the tank looks just as good as the other parts of the house. i assumed that it will spoil due to salt water spilling under the tank before.

You will have lesser space.. Just like me... :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Member of:

i might get a vortech, but i'm a tunze supporter lol. one thing i dont like about vortec is because it cannot turn.

im a tunze, eheim and deltec fan ._. will get these three brands over others usually. but i might consider a vortech.

The vortech is more effective I presume...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

You will have lesser space.. Just like me... :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

must take photo of my empty space now before the tank comes. this will be the last time i see it.