Reef Octopus Orca-100 Int

Anemone

Hi all,

I finally had to retire my old workhorse - the very old Reef Octopus NW-110. It was a fun skimmer to have, being able to mod the needlewheel of the OTP into a "mesh"-wheel and improving bubble count, but an upgrade was way overdue.

Enter the new Reef Octopus Orca-100 Int Protein Skimmer. Benjamin (Petmart) gave me a gd price for it, altho that was with the China-made OTP pump. Upgrading for a much better Sicce would have cost me more. Quite a lot more, actually.

anyway, some pics of the new toy.

post-705-12723833866289_thumb.jpg

no more screwing/un-screwing of the collection cup

post-705-12723833969591_thumb.jpg

Bubble Plate

post-705-12723835167743_thumb.jpg

control valve

post-705-1272383531117_thumb.jpg

silencer

post-705-12723836012819_thumb.jpg

OTP Pump

post-705-12723836352834_thumb.jpg

Old VS New

post-705-12723836620901_thumb.jpg

Skimmer in sump

post-705-12723837014161_thumb.jpg

So far still breaking it in. will check tml for progress.

Hahaha

Are they that rare here? i didn't know. i tot i saw a review for an ext. reef octopus a while ago.

SUPER RARE!

I mean there's a market here in Singapore for RO skimmers. But hey! normally people will say "eee MIC product! CMI lah!" typical mindset, not to be blamed but MIC products cannot last more than 1 year? hahaha. but then RO is an Aussie brand but though made in China, can kick some good ###### in skimming value compare to other skimmers out there.

So give us some good pics and let's wollop some good time with good ngog! :D

Anyway I am running a Reef Octopus DNW-150. hahaha

P.S: as much good stuff being said abt RO, the ###### part about them is to find the sweet spot for perfect skimming. that one IS ARSE! hahaha

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

the specs and design for this range of new models are much beta...can c the bubbles are smaller and compact....i'm still using the old DNW models....its a good buy for those who find german brands too costly...although the pumps are china made..its rather quiet...

l7304smr.jpg

the specs and design for this range of new models are much beta...can c the bubbles are smaller and compact....i'm still using the old DNW models....its a good buy for those who find german brands too costly...although the pumps are china made..its rather quiet...

but the tuning takes quite a while. maybe i have to wait somemore for the foaming to really start as its not really consistent yet.

but the tuning takes quite a while. maybe i have to wait somemore for the foaming to really start as its not really consistent yet.

yeap this's the lao-sai part. RC pple said the least to wait for is 1-2 hrs, sometimes even more! everything to wait for the skimmer to break in etc! :S

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

ok u can do for fine tuning on RO skimmer is that block the air intake side completely, thereafter adjust the knob for the water level to reach 1/4 of the neck bottom and make sure it stay at the constant level.

From there u can open the air intake fully

this's wat my friends do and also wat i do for fine tuning and good level for most skimmer

ok u can do for fine tuning on RO skimmer is that block the air intake side completely, thereafter adjust the knob for the water level to reach 1/4 of the neck bottom and make sure it stay at the constant level.

this's wat my friends do and also wat i do for fine tuning and good level for most skimmer

Is that a trick? sounds interesting! :D

any pics for demo? like the 1/4 of the neck bottom?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

it not a trick it just that after use alot of type of skimmer so far it the best setting i can get

Deltec

Reef oct

Weipro

Marine sources

bubble magus

skimz

it can produce dark green skimmate with the neck still look clean with a thin layer of brown slime, so u can just siphon out the skimmate and just clean wipe with a sponge (without tuning off the pump)

And with this setting i find it kick in very fast once restart of the skimmer ( may vary depend on ur water parameter and pump)

That sounds like a cunning plan. lol. i'll try that when i get home.

1. cover intake

2. adjust knob til water/bubble level at 1/4 of neck bottom

3. uncover intake

one question. 1/4 from neck bottom is at the collection cup level? or the absolute base of the whole part?

how high is the water lever where u have the skimmer?

bro stevenkoh,

what bro anemone means at what water level from btm glass of sump tank is the skimmer sitting in (:

the pic sure helps alot! hehe :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

oh bro marco as stated int model or ext model it doesn't matter as some skimmer need a higher level of water, so adjust it to the level of the water to the neck and try it

I see, alrights will give a shot with your plan and see how it goes (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Its not exactly silent, but its not noisy.

u probably wouldn't hear anything if u had a cabinet.

I believe all RO skimmers have a reasonably loud sucking sound from the pump via the airline. So if you can tahan it, guess RO's for you.

But the loud is NOT that loud. Just audible (:

Anyway thanks bro Anemone, nice ngog! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Hi there,

I am currently using a Reef Octopus as well, I am facing some problem with the noise issue. There seem to be quite a loud vibration noise from the pump at times. I was wondering if it was sand that is sucked up by the pump that makes the noise???

There is some sand in my sump as I poured in a bag of coral chips. The sand particles are really close to the pump for my skimmer. could this be the reason that my skimmer is making such a loud noise? Should I try to siphon the sand out? Please advise!!! Thanks!