When to change T5 LIGHT BULB?

mengyang_neo

Anyone know when to change T5 light bulb? what i heard is range from 6 to 12 mth need to change the t5 bulb depending on the brand, better brand take longer time for replacement. But is there any sign or indication from the tank that tell u that u will need to change the light bulb? Thanks for any comment. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

The best way of course is to use a PAR meter to test your readings.

Otherwise, depending on your lighting hours, better to err on the wrong side and change earlier. I would say 6hrs daily lighting can last you approx. 10 to 12. Longer daylight timings, just adjust accordingly :)

The best way of course is to use a PAR meter to test your readings.

Otherwise, depending on your lighting hours, better to err on the wrong side and change earlier. I would say 6hrs daily lighting can last you approx. 10 to 12. Longer daylight timings, just adjust accordingly :)

I see, but i also heard that if the fixture is not well air, the light bulb will get heated and the life span of the light bulb will also shorten. hmmm how about the coral? will they show any indication? or aglae will boom? something along this line? :look:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

I see, but i also heard that if the fixture is not well air, the light bulb will get heated and the life span of the light bulb will also shorten. hmmm how about the coral? will they show any indication? or aglae will boom? something along this line? lookaround.gif

basically all electronics are about the same.

lesser heat dissipation => shorter lifespan.

When tubes expires, PAR will be lower. Corals will have lesser light and might not open as big before.

we naked eye might not be able to tell the difference as the decline is over a year and we see it every day.

Whats the logic for the algae boom? I dun think so.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

I see, but i also heard that if the fixture is not well air, the light bulb will get heated and the life span of the light bulb will also shorten. hmmm how about the coral? will they show any indication? or aglae will boom? something along this line? :look:

by the time you notice something wrong with your corals will be too late le... Better to just steak to the rule of thumb and change your tubes frequently.

Another thing to take note of is that you don't want to shock your corals by changing all tubes at the same time. I try to rotate my changing of tubes so the difference in PAR is not that great, and the corals are slowly acclimatized to the brigher lights.

• Like 1

by the time you notice something wrong with your corals will be too late le... Better to just steak to the rule of thumb and change your tubes frequently.

Another thing to take note of is that you don't want to shock your corals by changing all tubes at the same time. I try to rotate my changing of tubes so the difference in PAR is not that great, and the corals are slowly acclimatized to the brigher lights.

very good point there comy.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

basically all electronics are about the same.

lesser heat dissipation => shorter lifespan.

When tubes expires, PAR will be lower. Corals will have lesser light and might not open as big before.

we naked eye might not be able to tell the difference as the decline is over a year and we see it every day.

Whats the logic for the algae boom? I dun think so.

i see, hmmm cause my tank is having algae often on the glass and need to clear it every 3 days, so i am think is it the light? As i am running rowa, dosing po4 remover and AZ nitrate remover so it should not be Po4 and NO3 problem. Trying to figure out if light is affect. :eyeblur:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

i see, hmmm cause my tank is having algae often on the glass and need to clear it every 3 days, so i am think is it the light? As i am running rowa, dosing po4 remover and AZ nitrate remover so it should not be Po4 and NO3 problem. Trying to figure out if light is affect. :eyeblur:

How many hours of lighting do you run on your tank? Can reduce the hours of white light if you want. Do you have direct sunlight on your tank? Have you checked your tank parameters? Don't assume since you're running chemicals, it's sufficient.

And actually, are you expecting no algae, no need to clean tank walls? lol I think this is a maintenance issue, everyone has to clean their tank walls every few days or algae will start to grow la. Part of the husbandry. :P

was there something about changing your tube when 2 black lines appear at both ends of the tube? please correct me if i am wrong.

No, this is not like your normal tubes. If you wait until the ends of the tubes have black lines, your corals prob would have been light starved for a long time!

How many hours of lighting do you run on your tank? Can reduce the hours of white light if you want. Do you have direct sunlight on your tank? Have you checked your tank parameters? Don't assume since you're running chemicals, it's sufficient.

And actually, are you expecting no algae, no need to clean tank walls? lol I think this is a maintenance issue, everyone has to clean their tank walls every few days or algae will start to grow la. Part of the husbandry. :P

Total around 8hrs, no direct sunlight. Wahahaha yup me thinking of no algae at all. lol cause last time when i am have FOWLR tank not much aglae, maybe because i never switch on the light for so long. Hmmm i think with reef tank hard to achieve that. After exam will go buy some test kit, maybe something wrong with my tank parameters. Bro thanks for the advice. :upsidedown:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

Total around 8hrs, no direct sunlight. Wahahaha yup me thinking of no algae at all. lol cause last time when i am have FOWLR tank not much aglae, maybe because i never switch on the light for so long. Hmmm i think with reef tank hard to achieve that. After exam will go buy some test kit, maybe something wrong with my tank parameters. Bro thanks for the advice. :upsidedown:

Are you running carbon also?

Anyway, the industrial grade carbon and PO4 removers are much better than what u get from ROWA and other brands... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Are you running carbon also?

Anyway, the industrial grade carbon and PO4 removers are much better than what u get from ROWA and other brands... :eyebrow:

Nope not running carbon, but how does the industrial grade carbon and PO4 remover work? same as rowa run inside FR? hee another bulk buy. =p

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

Nope not running carbon, but how does the industrial grade carbon and PO4 remover work? same as rowa run inside FR? hee another bulk buy. =p

Exactly the same other than they are much stronger and can absorb more PO4 and other impurities than what ROWA and other brands can.

BRS carbon and PO4 are the industrial types and much better and cheaper than ROWA and other brands.

I'm currently running aquamedic carbon which is the same as ROWA except that it is much cheaper. Ditto for the Aquamedic PO4 remover than I am using that is also cheaper than ROWA.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.