Milch's Reef Learning Journey

Milch_Tan

• SRC Member

and the newest member to the tank :wub: standing in at 3" weighing next to nothing and a fear no nothing AT~~~~~~

:groupwavereversed: feeding on pellets already right! update me on this beauty! PM me the cost?

• SRC Member

here's the stocking list so far..

Fishes in tank Date Added

1) Pygmy Hawkfish 10/08/2010

2) Whipfin Fairy Wrasse (Removed on 05/09/2010) 14/08/2010

3) Hooded Wrasse (Australia) 20/08/2010

4) Fork Tail Wrasse 20/08/2010

5) Hena Goby 20/08/2010

6) Lineatus Wrasse 03/09/2010

7) Exquisite Wrasse (African) 03/09/2010

8) Achilles Tang 16/09/2010

Inverts : 2x Sea Hare, 10x Scarlet hermit crabs, 4x Abalone, ~6(?) turbo snails

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• SRC Member

:groupwavereversed: feeding on pellets already right! update me on this beauty! PM me the cost?

hey bro sent u the poison PM already :evil: yeap feeding on pellets despite grazing on algae at the same time.

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

• SRC Member

:thumbsup: Nice Blue zoas...

thanks bro, the other bros that shared this frag also got good growth after fragging from mother colony (which should be almost botak by now) how weird. haha.

• SRC Member

Well done Milch :welldone:

Your radio active pocci looks very healthy, growth is good :thumbsup:

thanks man! :D still a long way from any growth like urs. haha. when will u start ur tank thread man, lol, u're the hidden dragon!!!!

thanks man! :D still a long way from any growth like urs. haha. when will u start ur tank thread man, lol, u're the hidden dragon!!!!

That's a big hat from you bro :paiseh: If you are talking about growing into mature colony, yes it will take time. But obtaining fast / optimal sps growth is a matter of getting the Nutrient-Kh-Ca-Mg formula right. Will be happy to share with you someday when we meet up.

Tank thread, yes have thought about it but may be some time later. Being busy with work and working on some projects :)

Btw, what you have done is a good practice, i.e. keeping track of the growth condition and logging it down. This will form part of your reefing journal and will certaining build up your library of practical experience and expertise. :cheers:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

and the newest member to the tank :wub: standing in at 3" weighing next to nothing and a fear no nothing AT~~~~~~

and akinASS, u're suppose to have this fish as well!!!! go appeal ur summom pls! :chair:

Like your AT bro... :welldone: If I am not wrong..it should be from LCK??

fts-022012.JPG

• SRC Member

Hi bro clee, I help him answer, yes from LCK.. Nice specimen! Bro milch, update us on your beauty! :)

• SRC Member

hey bro Vincent and Clee123 !

yeap AT is indeed from LCK, 1 ever hungry fella! recently combating with ich, was alright for awhile, until I was away for few days and when I came back it is in a less ideal state, however with frequent feeding and more TLC it's improving a great deal.

so.. bought a new toy today from AquaFauna Supplies to aid my war on ich and new tank syndrome eyebrow.gif

powerclearmax_3000a.jpg

Laguna Power Clear Max 5000 (55 Watt)

below is a small preview of this big gun.

• SRC Member

FIRST credits goes to bro LAW for the pictures and handiwork @ disassembly this light unit

first impressions,

the picture of the UV light doesn't give anything away about its size.....

DSC_0216.JPG

the wires are seriously LOOOoooOOOOoNNNNnnnNGGGggGGG apx about 10meters long.

DSC_0205.JPG

• SRC Member

and the connectors are "click-on" type all tested to be leak-proof, very easy installation, the overall workmanship is very good as well, despite it's Made in China label.

the fittings are snug

DSC_0210.JPG

• SRC Member

the key and most important selling point about this UV light is its "C OC KScrew" design thread that is suppose to ensure higher exposure and contact time.

so does it spiral? picture speaks a thousand words.

DSC_0196.JPG

endless spirals! prior to this purchase, had the fortune of 2 bros checking out another china brand 55 watt light with C oCK screw design, but it's nowhere close compared to this. (in fact it's another thing altogether!)

While the threads are all smooth flowing and continuous, you can see that there's some break-line as the entire corkscrew barrel is made of 4 pcs of plastic which I will show later.

btw.. this pic is taken with 20 seconds shutter speed and a torch light! (p/s: can you see what's at the end of this spiraling tunnel?) idea31.gif

• SRC Member

the replacement of bulb is relatively easy, just unscrew the main cap and you're good to go!

DSC_0184.JPG

bulb used is a T8 UV bulb!

• SRC Member

and here's the quartz sleeve that protects the UV bulb. this quartz sleeve is clear glass with no deform spots, the finish looks good and clear, and became clearer after wiping it with tissue, probably some factory oil stains.

DSC_0187.JPG

(p/s: any idea about its size yet? hmm scroll down later) stuart.gif

• SRC Member

here are some pictures of the actual spiral unit taken out, and seen fitting very snuggly into the black tubing. overall, it's a good fit! however I really wish that the internal threading of the C oCk screw design could be thicker / deeper

DSC_0198.JPG

notice that the white pipe (c ock screw pipe has a line in the center? yeap that's the joints, bit rough, but hey it's only for hobbyist market, had been precision engineering, be prepared to fork out way more than this price man! whistling.gif )

some DIY ideas : to seal up with silicon gel or tape? but it may impede future maintenance (ie. debris trap inside etc).

DSC_0202.JPG

this is where the water will be going in and out. (the bigger hole is actually for the quartz sleeve, the water will be feed thru the smaller rectangular hole)

DSC_0204.JPG

and top marks for its good fitting!

another reason why it may not be a good idea to use any sticky tape or silicon gel (added thickness) as there is barely enough gap at all between the white and black tubing.

• SRC Member

and now.. .............. optical illusion or not.. I leave it to you.. sleep.gif

DSC_0180.JPG

• SRC Member

and here's me with my Bazooka!

burns04.jpg

• SRC Member

now summing up first impressions :

Pros

Good workmanship

Tidy packaging

Clear instruction manual in proper English

Endless length of wires

Quality parts

Singapore 3-pin plug standard

Neat wiring

Quality electrical connections/components

Sufficient isolation of electrical components away from water

Slim-long barrel design coupled with c ock screw thread ensured maximum water exposure and contact time, when compared to a fat drum roll design.

Click-on connector piping (very easy installation)

leak-proof worthiness (so far so good will update further)

Cons

quality of screws can be better, as heads tends to blunt after few hard turn, but still manageable

quality of plastics used can be thicker for durability not that it is presently insufficient

the c ock screw thread could be thicker as there is still quite some space between the quartz sleeve and the thread

hassle of unscrewing and screwing when compared to twist-&-turn bayonet design

will update in good time when I install this bazooka about its performance. happy.gif

thanks to the good bros who helped me, and AquaFauna supplies for this product!

• SRC Member

Now we can put name to face!

hmmm I smell liability! haha I jus hope my loved 1s don't chance upon this page. :)

• SRC Member

wAAAAAAAAAAAA.. thats indeed a long toy you have there! lol.. hope this BAZOOKA will help u KILL all the ICH enemy!