Chilier and Corals

phuakl

Hi all,

Any recommendation for Corals for a pico tank? My Currently temperature is around 27-29 degree.

If it is considered too high temperature for corals, i am thinking to get a chilier for it. As my tank is small, i think i don't need a huge chilier, any recomendation for that?

Sorry for the troble.

Kah Lip

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Any recommendation for Corals for a pico tank? My Currently temperature is around 27-29 degree.

If it is considered too high temperature for corals, i am thinking to get a chilier for it. As my tank is small, i think i don't need a huge chilier, any recomendation for that?

Sorry for the troble.

Kah Lip

Hi bro,

1.) what is your tank size? the size and space of your tank will determine what kind of corals you can keep.. most LPS would expand out of their skeleton and can be very fleshy/meaty.

2.) Are you planning for soft corals or hard corals?

3.) if you run a chiller, you would require a pump for the chiller.. if your tank is too small, the return from the chiller maybe too strong for your tank. Small chiller like the artica 1/20 would already require at least 400L/h flow.

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

temp: 27 - 29 is ok.

no need chiller but if you want. these are the options:

- ice probe (expensive)

- those TEM chiller or a fan

corals

if yours is a pico.... then not much space for corals.

go get frags from reefers..... better.

zoas, mushroom, etc.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

1) Temp 27-29 degC - ok for LPS and softies

2) Chiller dun need - can go for fans but evaporation rate will be much higher

3) Corals - Get frags from Jacky

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Sorry for the troble.

Kah Lip

your temperature is still ok. so long as don't go >=30. as stated above fans should help but be ready to top-up. if you don't have filtration or skimmer which isn't water level sensitive then should be ok. the ice probe is effective i could say, quiet, but costly, no need for pico.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

27-29 is ok for most corals. Most corals including SPS can live comfortably within that temperature range. Main thing is not to overstock if your tank is at the warmer end.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hi bro,

1.) what is your tank size? the size and space of your tank will determine what kind of corals you can keep.. most LPS would expand out of their skeleton and can be very fleshy/meaty.

2.) Are you planning for soft corals or hard corals?

3.) if you run a chiller, you would require a pump for the chiller.. if your tank is too small, the return from the chiller maybe too strong for your tank. Small chiller like the artica 1/20 would already require at least 400L/h flow.

Hihi,

My tank is around 5G only. I got a fan and uses Distilled water to top up. So far, 1 bottle per week.

Haha, i think base on the comments, i will give up the idea of having a chilli...

What kind of zoas or corals should i look at? Any particular name for that? The tank looks quite plains with the live rocks.

your temperature is still ok. so long as don't go >=30. as stated above fans should help but be ready to top-up. if you don't have filtration or skimmer which isn't water level sensitive then should be ok. the ice probe is effective i could say, quiet, but costly, no need for pico.

How much does a ice probe cost?

27-29 is ok for most corals. Most corals including SPS can live comfortably within that temperature range. Main thing is not to overstock if your tank is at the warmer end.

Thanks. How much do you think it is too much?

i'm using a iceprobe on my 1ft cube now..manage to keep it between 28 to 29 deg.if yr tank is anything bigger than that.....dun even think of a iceprobe..... unless u r willing to mod the fan at top......

How does a ice probe works?

• SRC Member

ice probe is using thermoelectric cooling. it uses a peltier element which when you run current, one side cools down, and the heat drawn from that heats up the other side. the cooling side is directly connected to a ceramic rod which is the side dipped in water, while the hot side is stacked against a heatsink, which had a fan to cool it. effectiveness also depends on your ambient temperature, on how you can cool down the heatsink (to allow more heat drawn from the other side to cool it down).

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Hihi,

My tank is around 5G only. I got a fan and uses Distilled water to top up. So far, 1 bottle per week.

Haha, i think base on the comments, i will give up the idea of having a chilli...

What kind of zoas or corals should i look at? Any particular name for that? The tank looks quite plains with the live rocks.

5G is really very small.. good choice not to run a chiller.. think ice probe would work better or even placing the tank in an air conditioned room..

You can get most zoas but better to get small frags then colony.. even your LS will be very limited most likely sexy shimps will be your best choice.. for fishes, 5G is kinda small to live in...

good to get some mushrooms or ricordeas... Rics and zoas would certainly add alot of colours to a small little tank like yours! flowers.gif

How much does a ice probe cost?

Around USD119.99

Thanks. How much do you think it is too much?

For a tank your size, not much is too much..

lol.. start slow bro.. slowly see if the corals are able to adapt to your tank condition. Do note that for a small tank, do very frequent water change to prevent the parameters to go off the idea level too much. In a small tank, a small swing in parameter can be a HUGE disaster!

CoolWorks' IceProbe Small Aquarium Chiller (IPAC-50W) is the perfect cooling solution for small aquariums and insulated fish egg hatching, bait, and specimen tanks.

• 50 Watts of cooling power
  • Compact size
  • Easy bulkhead installation
  • Quiet, efficient & reliable
  • Optional temperature controller
  • 120V

ch_iceprobe_2.jpg

The Aquarium Chiller is a complete water cooling system. It includes the IceProbe, the nut and silicon washer for bulkhead installation, and a power converter with six foot cords on each side. The Aquarium Chiller can be easily installed in any orientation through a 1.25 inch hole into siphon overflows, pre-filters, sumps, or aquarium walls, or suspended with a bracket or lid over the top of the aquarium.

The chiller cools continuously when powered. In most aquarium implementations, the CoolWorks Proportional Temperature Controller is added to regulate the IceProbe's cooling power. TEC-65 controller is designed for tropical water aquarium environments, with an adjustable temperature range of 65ºF to 85ºF.

http://www.marinedep...ceprobe-ap.html

• Like 1

5G is really very small.. good choice not to run a chiller.. think ice probe would work better or even placing the tank in an air conditioned room..

You can get most zoas but better to get small frags then colony.. even your LS will be very limited most likely sexy shimps will be your best choice.. for fishes, 5G is kinda small to live in...

good to get some mushrooms or ricordeas... Rics and zoas would certainly add alot of colours to a small little tank like yours! flowers.gif

Around USD119.99

For a tank your size, not much is too much..

lol.. start slow bro.. slowly see if the corals are able to adapt to your tank condition. Do note that for a small tank, do very frequent water change to prevent the parameters to go off the idea level too much. In a small tank, a small swing in parameter can be a HUGE disaster!

CoolWorks' IceProbe Small Aquarium Chiller (IPAC-50W) is the perfect cooling solution for small aquariums and insulated fish egg hatching, bait, and specimen tanks.

• 50 Watts of cooling power
  • Compact size
  • Easy bulkhead installation
  • Quiet, efficient & reliable
  • Optional temperature controller
  • 120V

ch_iceprobe_2.jpg

The Aquarium Chiller is a complete water cooling system. It includes the IceProbe, the nut and silicon washer for bulkhead installation, and a power converter with six foot cords on each side. The Aquarium Chiller can be easily installed in any orientation through a 1.25 inch hole into siphon overflows, pre-filters, sumps, or aquarium walls, or suspended with a bracket or lid over the top of the aquarium.

The chiller cools continuously when powered. In most aquarium implementations, the CoolWorks Proportional Temperature Controller is added to regulate the IceProbe's cooling power. TEC-65 controller is designed for tropical water aquarium environments, with an adjustable temperature range of 65ºF to 85ºF.

http://www.marinedep...ceprobe-ap.html

Thanks for your information. Thats help alot. I think i will just stick to my fan.

Actually, i have two clowns swimming for 3 months plus in the tank liao. Seem to be hungry all the times.

I used distilled water to top up and change 10% of the water weekly using the water from AM. Also, i add a dose of batercial to the tank after cleaning the tank.

Do you think that should be good enough?

• SRC Member

Thanks for your information. Thats help alot. I think i will just stick to my fan.

Actually, i have two clowns swimming for 3 months plus in the tank liao. Seem to be hungry all the times.

I used distilled water to top up and change 10% of the water weekly using the water from AM. Also, i add a dose of batercial to the tank after cleaning the tank.

Do you think that should be good enough?

please dun add any more fishes as 5G is very small.. especially when you add in LR the swimming space is even more limited

think your husbandry menthod is good enough.. the next challange is to ensure the temperature do not fluctuate too much..

please dun add any more fishes as 5G is very small.. especially when you add in LR the swimming space is even more limited

think your husbandry menthod is good enough.. the next challange is to ensure the temperature do not fluctuate too much..

Haha. Ok. Will not add more LS. I intend the remove one of the bigger LR and replace it by zoas or mushroom.