plate coral

marinakid

• SRC Member

Hmm a pic might help...if the tissue is like tearing away from the skeleton then unfortunately its dying...

girlone.png

• SRC Member

my plate coral like melt abit showing the skeleton. what could be the cause of this? used to be doing fine.

When LPS start showing their skeleton, it's definitely not a good sign. Be prepared for the worst. Lots of potential causes. could be that you've handled it recently. corals don;t like to be handled and moved.

• Like 1

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

my plate coral like melt abit showing the skeleton. what could be the cause of this? used to be doing fine.

place it in a low flow area...if u want it to recover....feed it will small pieces of prawn or fish meat and dose additives that help their tissue to recover...like brightwell aquatics medicoral dip / restor which AM sells...

but if the skeleton exposed is more than 30%...then its quite hard to savage...

those long tentacles plate have very low survival rate in tanks...when they arrive at LFS they all look healthy...but after a while, they will start to melt and if they are not sold...they usually end up in the dustbin...

not to mention which LFS...there's one everytime b4 new shipment day arrive, the evening before that....few big baskets corals r thrown away...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

plate coral actually have very good survival rate even if the skeleton is exposed. There are a few "old birds" within the forum whom are able to get a plate coral with only 10% of flesh left to fully recover.

In order to do that, you have to place the coral in a lower flow area and ensure that no algae grows onto the exposed skeleton.. Do feed them but take care not to overfeed... if the exposed area is less then 20% i should believe the coral can easily recover within 3 months if your water condition is good.

HTH

Cheers,

Ray

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...